Klim Badlands......Your Opinions

Would I have another one, certainly but I’d also look at Stadler as they make a similar suit but with better armour and a more European fit for similar money.

Just had a search for the Stadler...Found this Vid...looks good!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QlNiUkIDO48" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm off to the Sportsbikeshop in Leeds tomorrow to have a good look at the Badlands range.

I intend to use it on European Tours (if we can go in 2021) as well as pottering around the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District, so I need a suit that is totally waterproof but cool in hotter climates. I have had laminated suits before and really rate them

Never spent so much on a suit before so I would like to ask for your experiences with the suit, both good and bad, and whether you think they are worth the money

Thanks in advance

Mike

I need to buy some new kit soon, and have also been considering the Klim suits, amongst others.
I look forward to hearing your findings first hand Mike, next time I see you out and about. ;)

Bob

Bob...he already did!!!
Thanks for all your comments

I went to Leeds as promised this afternoon, gave them my ref number and it took 2 staff to get out all the gear I'd ordered to try (2 sizes of each jacket and pants).

Here are my observations.

I really wanted to like the Badlands jacket but it's not for me, It was very stiff but that should mellow with use. My biggest problem was the fit around the inside of my elbows. It seemed to bunch up and was quite uncomfortable so that was the Bandlands off my list. As I'd discounted the jacket, I didn't try the pants.

Next came the Dane Nimbus. Initially I was impressed with this jacket. Good fit and some very nice touches. I removed the inner liner so that I could try it with my heated jacket. I liked the fact that the loops in the sleeve where the inner jacket attaches were colour coded. Simple things.....

But here lies a problem. In colder weather I use my heated jacket as a mid-layer and then plug it in if it gets really cold. The collar strap on the Dane is very small and would not fasten whilst wearing my heated jacket. Only a slight thing and I could probably work my way around it, but if I going to spend almost £900 on a jacket I want it to be right. They didn't have any Dane trousers in stock

Oxford Hinterland is very competitively priced, but was quite thin and possibly too light for continental touring. Would make a great commuting suit

I then tried on a Rukka Kalix 2 suit. Fitted perfectly and very comfy. Unfortunately only a small single zip at the front and very few pockets. It's a Rukka with a 6 year warranty but it is VERY basic.

I haven't bought anything but I now know what size I need in the different manufacturers. I'll keep on looking but the favourite from today was the Dane.

My present suit is a Triumph Navigator which I've had for about 5 years and it's been fantastic so I'm off to try the Triumph Malvern Suit tomorrow. It's a Gortex Pro which has been discontinued so should be a good price

Thanks again for all your comments

Mike

I'll be looking at Dane and Stadler I think

Bob...he already did!!!

I'll be looking at Dane and Stadler I think

Yes, I know, but I'll get more detail by word of mouth when I next see him (is what I meant).
Your choices are on my list also ;)

Thanks JB. If the incoming Klim doesn’t work for me I’ll try them. Actual physical Halvarssons stockists are getting hard to find.:thumby:

They have a whole wall devoted to Halvarssons
Give them a ring first, family run business (like Rainbow used to be)

Very interested in getting some Dane kit myself.......but no stockists in Ireland
Would any of you fine chaps have any guidance as to how the brand fits.......what I mean is........what other brand is it similar to, fit wise (size for size)

S20 5G sent this......

All sorted now. Many thanks for all your advice and opinions.

After trying Rukka, Klim, Dane and Oxford I finally went for the first suit I was interested in....the Triumph Malvern

It's 3 layer Gore Tex Pro suit with top class armour etc. Uses poppers where possible rather than Velcro (I hate too much Velcro). The jacket thermal liner is QD and looks very similar to my Knox Cold Killer and can be worn as an independent jacket.

Bottom line is that I think it looks good and appears to be very comfortable (time will tell)

As a bonus, because it's just been discontinued I got the entire suit for a very good price, considerably cheaper than the Badlands and Dane jackets. Could have got it even cheaper on-line but it's also good to support your local dealer

Only time will tell if I made the right choice but it is going to replace my Triumph Navigator Suit and that is the best I've ever had

Mike

Thanks, will take a look.

I received my Overpass jacket (R.O.R on their website) and there are loads of pockets and it’s quite light compared to other Rukka gear. Motolegends market it as an oversuit, but Rukka market it as an oversuit/ adventure suit. Lots of happy reviews online from people that use it as an adventure suit as you can fit proper boots underneath. I’ve fitted the D30 armour from my Rukka summer suit, and it feels spot on.

I’ll try it on the bike in the garage over the coming days before I decide 100%, but the armour doesn’t seem to move around at all, and it has the same feel of the BMW Rallye suit, which was extremely comfortable, with the added bonus of not having to fit an inner waterproof liner.

I received my Overpass jacket (R.O.R on their website) and there are loads of pockets and it’s quite light compared to other Rukka gear. Motolegends market it as an oversuit, but Rukka market it as an oversuit/ adventure suit. Lots of happy reviews online from people that use it as an adventure suit as you can fit proper boots underneath. I’ve fitted the D30 armour from my Rukka summer suit, and it feels spot on.

I’ll try it on the bike in the garage over the coming days before I decide 100%, but the armour doesn’t seem to move around at all, and it has the same feel of the BMW Rallye suit, which was extremely comfortable, with the added bonus of not having to fit an inner waterproof liner.
Very interested in one of these...... I always assumed they where a Z-Liner suit.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.
Going very cheap on FC-Moto at the moment in the full range of sizes.

S20 5G sent this......

Very interested in one of these...... I always assumed they where a Z-Liner suit.

Interested in hearing your thoughts.
Going very cheap on FC-Moto at the moment in the full range of sizes.

S20 5G sent this......

I looked at the Overpass in the Sportsbikeshop in MK before I bought the Nivala.
It comes up much looser for the same size as other Rukka kit as it’s designed to be worn over full body armour for offroad riding.
So it’s not sold with any armour , though there are pockets if you want to fit some.
(Hence it’s called ROR-Rukka OffRoad, in other markets).
Another reason why it’s got so many vents and some of them are designed to vent best when standing on the pegs.

It’s explained quite well here :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eDTvzyej0FU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The guys at the shop said it wasn’t the best to be worn as a stand alone suit as it didn’t come with armour, and if you fitted your own then it wouldn’t stay in place as well as other suits designed to be worn on their own.
It’s been branded as the Overpass in UK as it also works well as a commuter suit, to wear over normal clothes,which help to keep armour in situ.
Motolegends claim that Rukka invented it for them !

Some years ago we spoke to Rukka about creating a laminated suit that could be worn over work clothes by those who people commute into work, but who don’t have the facilities to change their clothes when they get there. It was something a lot of customers were asking for. The only company that really produces a suit that works for commuting is Aerostich in the US, but their technology is not very twenty first century. Their outfits are a bit clunky, and their prices are high once you add in duty and VAT. Getting the sizing right can also be a challenge!
A lot of commuters wear a normal motorcycle suit over their work clothes, but it’s rarely a comfortable solution. And that’s because motorcycle suits are not really designed to be worn like this. In the summer the chances are that you’ll end up arriving at work all hot and bothered. Walking around off the bike will never be easy. In a drop-liner suit, you’ll sometimes find yourself putting on a damp jacket on the way home. But with the stiffness of a traditional Gore-Tex Pro, three-layer, laminated outfit you’ll barely be able to move. It just wouldn’t be nice.
What we wanted, we told Rukka, was a lightweight, laminate suit with a slightly looser fit, but with excellent venting for summer commuting. Well the suit that they have released, the Overpass, is pretty much exactly what we were looking for.
First, it does have, as we requested, a slightly more relaxed fit. It’s in no way baggy, but wearing a shirt, a lightweight jumper and a pair of trousers underneath the Overpass should be easily manageable.
Commuting in the summer, you can become extremely hot, particularly in slow traffic, and especially if you’re wearing your work clothing underneath, which is why we asked Rukka to make this their best vented suit ever. And we believe it is. There are ventilation openings in the chest, on the sleeves, up the flanks and across the back of the jacket. On the pants, there are large vents on the thighs.
Of course, wherever there’s a vent, there’s somewhere where the rain can seep in. A suit with no vents may, in prolonged heavy rain, be marginally more waterproof, but it will not work in hot weather. On the Overpass, the vents are protected with zips with rain flaps. Nobody can guarantee that water will never find its way in, but on an hour and a half’s commute, it’s most unlikely. And certainly the membrane itself is guaranteed to be totally waterproof.
But what makes the Overpass so appropriate for wearing over normal clothing is that it’s made not from Rukka’s normal three-layer, Gore-Tex Pro fabric, but from a two-layer laminated material. We’ve spoken at length with Gore about the material, and they tell us that, in the future, two-layer laminates will probably become the norm. And that’s because the material is much softer and more flexible.

Thanks but I’m nowhere near Surrey and as I said earlier in the thread their stocks of laminate jackets in normal sizes have run out with no sign of more stock in the pipeline. We used to have a stockist in Sheffield, SMC, and there was one in Hull but I don’t think that still exists. The nearest I think is JB’s suggestion at Teesdale, the nearest one where I could try on stock.

Moot point anyway as my Klim Badlands jacket arrived today. Fits pretty well and appears to be better quality. It is a bit heavy but I’m not planning to go running in it.

I looked at the Overpass in the Sportsbikeshop in MK before I bought the Nivala.
It comes up much looser for the same size as other Rukka kit as it’s designed to be worn over full body armour for offroad riding .So it’s not sold with any armour , though there are pockets if you want to fit some.
(Hence it’s called ROR-Rukka OffRoad, in other markets).
Another reason why it’s got so many vents and some of them are designed to vent best when standing on the pegs.

It’s explained quite well here :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eDTvzyej0FU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The guys at the shop said it wasn’t the best to be worn as a stand alone suit as it didn’t come with armour, and if you fitted your own then it wouldn’t stay in place as well as other suits designed to be worn on their own.
It’s been branded as the Overpass in UK as it also works well as a commuter suit, to wear over normal clothes,which help to keep armour in situ.
I'm a very portly lad (if I may say so myself) so it's the baggy nature that interests me.
I'm a EU60 - 64 depending on brand and even at that I have very stocky shoulders and arms (spent too long in gyms as a younger man)

I'm thinking/hoping that this R.O.R with armour in and a midlayer it might not be so loose and baggy on me.
I could ask my local stockist to get one in to try......but I won't be buying from him, so common decency won't let me do that.

Would you be happy with the materials using it as a road only jacket??

S20 5G sent this......

I'm a very portly lad (if I may say so myself) so it's the baggy nature that interests me.
I'm a EU60 - 64 depending on brand and even at that I have very stocky shoulders and arms (spent too long in gyms as a younger man)

I'm thinking/hoping that this R.O.R with armour in and a midlayer it might not be so loose and baggy on me.
I could ask my local stockist to get one in to try......but I won't be buying from him, so common decency won't let me do that.

Would you be happy with the materials using it as a road only jacket??

S20 5G sent this......

I didn’t buy it.Nutty will be able to give you more info.
But it’s a light jacket and some of the material is quite thin.
I think the Revzilla guy alludes to this,saying he wished the jacket had more protection in places.
But I guess Rukka thought it adequate if people were wearing full armour underneath.

Back
Top Bottom