Klim Badlands......Your Opinions

I’ve use Klim for years and recon the following,

Build Quality, unsurpassed, possibly over engineered. The craftsmanship in the lining, pockets etc is unbeatable.

Waterproof. I use non bio to wash and I have never ever got wet in Klim kit, and that’s been through some truly torrential rain.

Weight. The only think I don’t like. The kit feels a bit stiff and heavy to me, clearly loosens up with time.

Longevity. I’ve still got my original Badlands jacket from ABW in 2009 and it’s still going strong. All zips etc fine. Still totally waterproof.

Overall I think it’s expensive, but good value.

Looks wise, clearly it’s more of an adventure vibe than say Rukka.

If that’s your thing, I’d go Klim every time.

I’ve got a lot of it if you want to pm or bell me for more details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and although heavy, I used mine in plus 42c and the venting was excellent.

My horn on the bike stopped working but I can’t blame the jacket for that

Riding gear really is a personal choice.

I think the Klim kit is outstanding, but heavy and not great for wandering around, so tend to strip off (shorts/tee short/flip flops) when needed and secure the kit to the bike when safe.

It's a case of balancing safety with comfort for me.

You might want to check out XLMoto for pricing. They do quite big price reductions on Klim but not all the time. Magnet just bought an Artemis jacket at a considerable discount and I’ve bought a badlands jacket at a 20% discount although I’ve exchanged it cos their sizing is a bit big. Waiting for size L coming back soon.Free exchange so no big deal if you’re not in a rush.

I have one item of Klim clothing- a jacket and it’s nowt special, I cannot see why people rave about it and reading this thread bares that’s out
Rukka is better, as is some high end BMW kit
Halvarssons is worth a look too

any good in hot weather?
Like all laminated clothing, it will be warm in +35 degC climates. Dane Julso has vents however. Its good for UK and Northern European tours, but when going to Southern Europe I would wear layered mesh type clothing and use a BMW rainlock jacket for showers ect.

I have one item of Klim clothing- a jacket and it’s nowt special, I cannot see why people rave about it and reading this thread bares that’s out
Rukka is better, as is some high end BMW kit
Halvarssons is worth a look too

My current kit is Halvarssons and I like it but it’s getting towards the end of its useful life and the trousers have started leaking. Their laminate range appears to be discontinued, at least in Motolegends, and they didn’t know if a new range was coming in. As for Rukka I wasted an hour at Infinity in York last month and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s for fat folk. I tried a jacket on that fitted my 42 ish chest and I could have fitted a giant wok under it at the front. And that pull in trouser fastening is obviously designed for the larger waist :D

Riding gear really is a personal choice.

I think the Klim kit is outstanding, but heavy and not great for wandering around, so tend to strip off (shorts/tee short/flip flops) when needed and secure the kit to the bike when safe.

It's a case of balancing safety with comfort for me.

The Rukka Overpass stuff is light, and well vented for the summer with loads of rooms to layer up in the winter. Plus you can fit full size MX boots under the trousers (not that I'll ever need them).

It took a lot of searching, but seems to be the holy grail, certainly for me anyway. It's discounted at the moment, which is an added bonus.

I’ve a Mark 1 Badlands suit I bought 2nd hand 6 years ago for £500 (was only months old). At times it’s the best thing ever, at others it’s a twatish looking heap of expensive rubbish, so much so I had a half hearted attempt to sell a little while ago. At its best probably this time of year or spring. Too warm and not enough air flow when it’s proper hot - although that depends to a great extent on your bike’s screen I guess. It needs lots of layers or heated clothing for long rides in the proper cold.

I get a wet stomach on mine - could be the main zip or could be rain blowing up between trousers and jacket, and my crotch always feels damp after an hour or so in rain but I am not sure the trousers actually leak as it could also just be cold from sitting in a puddle on the saddle. On my suit the fabric sort of wets out, in that it feels damp for an hour or so after it’s been raining but it doesn’t really soak up much water like Cordura does, so no big puddles under the chair when sat in the service station cafe. None of the external pockets are waterproof. I even tried seam sealing them but they still all leak. If I am setting off on a long day and know it’s going rain I still put some lightweight waterproofs over the top.

I took my trousers to Lancashire Sports Repairs for adjustment - waist and legs both +2”. They groaned when I took them in saying taking them apart is almost impossible as they are so finely stitched together. It took them 6hours to do the job. I think that says a lot about their quality.

I have removed the kidney belt and chest armour as I found them to be a nuisance. I have also replaced hip, knee, elbow, and knee armour with the thin and light Ghost Armour. Significantly lightens the suit and much much more comfortable on and off the bike. I take the back armour out too(easy, a few seconds) if I am doing much walking about or just riding to the pub/cafe/locally. A ghost armour back bit of D3O would be a great addition.

Thanks for all your comments

I went to Leeds as promised this afternoon, gave them my ref number and it took 2 staff to get out all the gear I'd ordered to try (2 sizes of each jacket and pants).

Here are my observations.

I really wanted to like the Badlands jacket but it's not for me, It was very stiff but that should mellow with use. My biggest problem was the fit around the inside of my elbows. It seemed to bunch up and was quite uncomfortable so that was the Bandlands off my list. As I'd discounted the jacket, I didn't try the pants.

Next came the Dane Nimbus. Initially I was impressed with this jacket. Good fit and some very nice touches. I removed the inner liner so that I could try it with my heated jacket. I liked the fact that the loops in the sleeve where the inner jacket attaches were colour coded. Simple things.....

But here lies a problem. In colder weather I use my heated jacket as a mid-layer and then plug it in if it gets really cold. The collar strap on the Dane is very small and would not fasten whilst wearing my heated jacket. Only a slight thing and I could probably work my way around it, but if I going to spend almost £900 on a jacket I want it to be right. They didn't have any Dane trousers in stock

Oxford Hinterland is very competitively priced, but was quite thin and possibly too light for continental touring. Would make a great commuting suit

I then tried on a Rukka Kalix 2 suit. Fitted perfectly and very comfy. Unfortunately only a small single zip at the front and very few pockets. It's a Rukka with a 6 year warranty but it is VERY basic.

I haven't bought anything but I now know what size I need in the different manufacturers. I'll keep on looking but the favourite from today was the Dane.

My present suit is a Triumph Navigator which I've had for about 5 years and it's been fantastic so I'm off to try the Triumph Malvern Suit tomorrow. It's a Gortex Pro which has been discontinued so should be a good price

Thanks again for all your comments

Mike

The Rukka Overpass stuff is light, and well vented for the summer with loads of rooms to layer up in the winter. Plus you can fit full size MX boots under the trousers (not that I'll ever need them).

It took a lot of searching, but seems to be the holy grail, certainly for me anyway. It's discounted at the moment, which is an added bonus.

Thanks, will take a look.

My current kit is Halvarssons and I like it but it’s getting towards the end of its useful life and the trousers have started leaking. Their laminate range appears to be discontinued, at least in Motolegends, and they didn’t know if a new range was coming in. As for Rukka I wasted an hour at Infinity in York last month and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s for fat folk. I tried a jacket on that fitted my 42 ish chest and I could have fitted a giant wok under it at the front. And that pull in trouser fastening is obviously designed for the larger waist :D

Teasdales KTM in Thirsk have a massive Halvarssons section, plus Rukka and other quality kit, worth a call

The jacket is good, but odd sizing - I normally take a 44" chest, the M fits me but is a bit snug, but L would fit me and Mrs Berin. The jacket has a chest protector which is good but a bit awkward, and it also has a sort of internal waist cinch, which is very good for keeping the jacket and back protector in place. It's well vented but not warm, so in the cold will need a heated jacket or mid layer. I'd say it's a good touring jacket, of you are prepared to layer.

Trousers don't fit properly over my MX boots (Sidi Crossfire) at at all, but are OK over Sidi Adventures. They've got good brace loops, good venting, pockets.
However, due to the MX boot issue, I've just got a pair of Mosko Moto Basilisk pants which I'm mightily impressed with, and I would say are better than the Badlands pants.

well it will depend on what you ride, what boots you wear, how tall you are? etc etc.

I have the badlands trousers and whilst they are very waterproof I think the design is SHITE, and would not buy them. In no particular order

1. the knee armour does not stay in place, constantly catches on my boots and and is always siting to low.
2. forward opening pockets, not waterproof enough
3. If you wear motorcross or high adv boots pain in the arse to get on as you have to lift the whole lot up to the knee just to get them on
4. they are ok on the bike but just not comfortable as a pair of trousers to walk around in off the bike.

no comment on the jacket as I dont have one.

I think the Rukka Overpass is now been discontinued and might be difficult to find

Mike

Just noticed that J & S at Northwich are advertising Overpass jackets and pants on eBay

I think the Rukka Overpass is now been discontinued and might be difficult to find

Mike

Just noticed that J & S at Northwich are advertising Overpass jackets and pants on eBay

FC Moto have plenty of stock in most sizes still. ;)

Mike

The Rukka Overpass was designed to be worn over normal clothes for commuters,a bit like an Aerostich suit, hence the name of the suit.
That’s why it’s got a relaxed fit.
I looked at it when I bought my Nivala kit but was told by the guys at Sportsbikeshop that it was commuter kit and not designed as stand alone.It’s not sold with any armour either.

I’ve owned my Badlands jacket since June '13 so I'd guess that's nearly 75k miles. An expensive jacket for sure, and one that’s costing me approx £130/year to date - price is easier to stomach if you think about it like that. Gets cheaper the longer I keep it and I'm sure it'll seem like good value in the end thanks to it's build quality.

A very nicely made jacket. I've not sent it down the road yet but I'm confident it'll do it's job if and when I do. It still looks pretty much as new except for the collar which is grubby. All zips and Velcro work as they should. Exterior pockets are good and the internal mesh pockets dead handy. If you've a bike that allows air to hit you on the chest then the vents are good. Large document pocket, situated lower back, is great for keeping travel docs safe - unless someone lifts the jacket.

Primary reason for purchase was doing away with the need to carry waterproofs and having to stop to put them on. One thing to remember is that unless all the vent zips are fully and correctly parked water will get in. Also, the extended sleeves which hook around the thumb will wick water up your arm very effectively. Another weak area for waterproofing is the collar which is on the short side, a Rooster Neck Gaiter sorts that but you've still got to stop and put it on along with checking vent zips and something to isolate the lower sleeve from the rain. Waterproofing from new was as advertised if the jackets weak spots were sealed. Unfortunately as time went by the jacket started to leak. Google revealed all it needed was washing and bunging in the tumble drier followed by a spray with something expensive - Google lied. After several tries I gave up and bought an ex-army, dispersed pattern Gortex jacket for £20 which is more watertight than the Badlands ever was. Not sure camouflage is what's needed when it pissing down, but there you go.

Agree with this - it does need a heated layer for me in winter - other than that... great value.

I’ve use Klim for years and recon the following,

Build Quality, unsurpassed, possibly over engineered. The craftsmanship in the lining, pockets etc is unbeatable.

Waterproof. I use non bio to wash and I have never ever got wet in Klim kit, and that’s been through some truly torrential rain.

Weight. The only think I don’t like. The kit feels a bit stiff and heavy to me, clearly loosens up with time.

Longevity. I’ve still got my original Badlands jacket from ABW in 2009 and it’s still going strong. All zips etc fine. Still totally waterproof.

Overall I think it’s expensive, but good value.

Looks wise, clearly it’s more of an adventure vibe than say Rukka.

If that’s your thing, I’d go Klim every time.

I’ve got a lot of it if you want to pm or bell me for more details

Does Rukka have thigh armour in the trousers?

Mike

Back
Top Bottom