Refitting rear shock - problem

chipsonfriday

Reaction score
2014 GS1200 LC.

Just received my rear shock back after being rebuilt.

So. Now attempting to refit but the bottom end doesn't fit where it should. :mad: There seems to be bush protruding into the space, is this right? (I didn't notice this when I removed the shock.) Or should I be knocking it flush?

Attachments

• Rear strut mount2.jpg
    Rear strut mount2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 441
Look 6m 45 secs in video will help see.

Can see is flat bush is out

2014 GS1200 LC.

Just received my rear shock back after being rebuilt.

So. Now attempting to refit but the bottom end doesn't fit where it should. :mad: There seems to be bush protruding into the space, is this right? (I didn't notice this when I removed the shock.) Or should I be knocking it flush?

I'd hazard a guess, that the bush was always there and in the same place ;)

I had similar when i replaced the OE stuff for aftermarket the aftermarket was tight to get in and required a few taps with a nylon mallet to get it into place,

Once in place and aligned everything flew together

That said, dont just belt it in blindly measure the shock and the opening and see what the interference is it shouldn't be much

I tried to remove the bushes on my hexhead and gave up, they were FT ;)

What does it show in the Haynes ? or did you take piccys when you removed it ?

I measured the shock at 38mm. The space it should fit in was 37.89mm so would be a tight Fit. But the protruding ‘bush’ is 1mm so no way will it fit. I’m considering using heat but I’m not sure which I should be applying heat to.

I had exactly the same problem with my 1150GSA. I had to use some washers, nut, bolt and a socket to pull the bush back flush with the swing arm.

You then reinstall the suspension and when you tighten up it will all fit back again.

I had exactly the same problem with my 1150GSA. I had to use some washers, nut, bolt and a socket to pull the bush back flush with the swing arm.

You then reinstall the suspension and when you tighten up it will all fit back again.

Thanks for that. That’s reassuring to know the problem has occurred before. My job for this afternoon then. I like the idea if NOT bashing it back with a hammer. Big chance of causing mor damage.

Thanks for that. That’s reassuring to know the problem has occurred before. My job for this afternoon then. I like the idea if NOT bashing it back with a hammer. Big chance of causing mor damage.

Give good spray and soke with anti size before make life easy.

Back
Top Bottom