When to trade in

mrklunk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Looking for some advice. I've done 11K on my F750GS since last September, would've been more had it not been for Covid. So in another year, it will have 22-25K on it. Although it will still have a year's warranty, will it sell ok at that mileage? Will BMW give me an ok price for trade-in? New to BMW so a bit green about values especially with the 750GS being a new model. I fancy a 1200//1250 next once I save up a bit. Maybe next summer any advice appreciated. Cheers

Just ride and enjoy your bike.
It’ll be worth what it’s worth at sale time.
The main thing is that you enjoy it and get the value out of it that way.

That’s what I do anyway.

I’d expect a dealer trade in on a 2yr 750GS with 25K miles at between £5.5K-6.5K depending on spec, condition, luggage etc. It’s the mileage that will reduce the price as they’d expect a typical 2yo bike to have 6-8K miles. For a rough guide find a dealer bike with as similar a spec and mileage as yours and subtract £1.5K
Depending on how COVID plays you’d almost certainly get more in a private sale.
If you’re looking to a new 1250 and part-exing be prepared to stump up well over £10K - personally I think that’s ridiculous - for that money you could get a very tasty second bike and still pocket the difference.

My experience at trade in time isn’t good. I have a ex demo 2019 GS850 sport with every xtra that I can think of. Over €16000 new. Trade in offer is €9000. 12,000 kms. So it’s a great bike and I’ll keep it. JJH

Brother in law bought a 19 plate ex bmw uk f850gs with 365 miles in the clock from dealer for £8950 added genuine bmw pannier rails and rack for alloy boxes, taller screen and wunderlich screen brace and bar risers.
Six months later with 2800 miles on the clock and still immaculate he went back to the same bmw main dealer who wouldn' t even give him a price against a 16 plate r1200 gs .
Not interested in taking it back

Brother in law bought a 19 plate ex bmw uk f850gs with 365 miles in the clock from dealer for £8950 added genuine bmw pannier rails and rack for alloy boxes, taller screen and wunderlich screen brace and bar risers.
Six months later with 2800 miles on the clock and still immaculate he went back to the same bmw main dealer who wouldn' t even give him a price against a 16 plate r1200 gs .
Not interested in taking it back

F850 GS - not a good seller then?

F850 GS - not a good seller then?

When my 2017 f800gsa sh*t it's motor I was offered a straight swap for a 19 plate f850gs which I declined and then it was upped to a 18 plate f850gsa adventure sport and again I declined , got a new engine for the 800 instead

Sadly I don’t think it’s been a massive seller. Then again the 700/800 accounted for less than 20% of annual sales. IMHO adding £2K plus to the retail price by adding all the toys on the larger bike, plus the significant extra weight with very little more oomph to compensate fell a little flat. The basic look of the 750/850 are OK but having owned the 850GSA it was both very top heavy and quite ugly. Reliability issues with the engine (e.g. the delayed launch due to top end issues), and lots of competition (plus the never-ending success of the bigger boxer-engined bike on PCP deals) has lessened its popularity.
I just wanted a 700GS with a slightly smoother engine that I could buy new, so I’m happy with my 750GS. However, if I were in the market now (just an an example), a new KTM 1290 Adventure is only about £800 more than my 750 cost new, and a Tiger 900 is by all accounts a better-spec’ed bike (and MCN bike of the year) for the same money.

Last 12 months there have been numerous 19 plate F 850 gs and gs sports with nominal miles appearing at main dealers.
All of them carry registration numbers from BMW UK and are from a large batch which were registered by BMW UK. And used as company vehicles.
Brother in laws was one of these with 365 miles on the clock, we were told by another dealer that tnere were a number of them being offered around dealers at very reasonable ie low prices.

This is the very bike that the UK dealer would not even give a price on as a part exchange. Bought by a Dutch dealer for export and for sale on his website

Attachments

• f850 netherlands.jpg
    f850 netherlands.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 268

Back
Top Bottom