F800 Buying Advice Please....

BillyBoxer6

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm now looking at buying a 2010 F800GS with circa 22k Miles on it.
Never had this Model and would greatly appreciate some Pointers as to what they are prone to failing on, if anything?
TIA,
BB

I dont have a F800GS , but I have done 40,000 miles on the smaller “ detuned” same engine F650 and F700GS. The engines are solid and good for 90 to 100,000 miles with no major issues. Stators do fail but usually on 70,000 mile and above bikes.Steering head bearings can be notchy.

Look for corrosion on the base of the engine eg underneath. Look for aftermarket fittings , eg upgraded rear shock, crash bars better screen, scottoiler. These all indicate the bike has been cared for and invested in.

Check the front headlight is not cracked or chipped.

Steve

I dont have a F800GS , but I have done 40,000 miles on the smaller “ detuned” same engine F650 and F700GS. The engines are solid and good for 90 to 100,000 miles with no major issues. Stators do fail but usually on 70,000 mile and above bikes.Steering head bearings can be notchy.

Look for corrosion on the base of the engine eg underneath. Look for aftermarket fittings , eg upgraded rear shock, crash bars better screen, scottoiler. These all indicate the bike has been cared for and invested in.

Check the front headlight is not cracked or chipped.

Steve

Thanks Steve, duly noted :thumby:

When it comes to replacing the drive chain ... do not use a BMW one as they stretch really easily. DID seem to be the popular choice.

Fork dive a lot so some peeps go up a weight or two on the oil - I think I use 10W.

When it comes to replacing the drive chain ... do not use a BMW one as they stretch really easily. DID seem to be the popular choice.

Fork dive a lot so some peeps go up a weight or two on the oil - I think I use 10W.

Interesting, I'll no doubt notice the difference in Braking / Handling compared to the 1200 GSA then

Yep 100% agree on the chain. I use DID X ring and typically get 16,000 miles per chain. The very early OE 08/09 chains were made by CZ and made of steel coloured liquorice! Many were recalled as they were snapping at as little as 1200 miles. One of the key things with chains is dont over tighten, eg set up on a stand. You need to adjust the chain then get someone to sit on the bike as the rear suspension sags quite a bit.

Interesting, I'll no doubt notice the difference in Braking / Handling compared to the 1200 GSA then

Hyper pro progressive front springs take care of this one of the best mods you can do its not til you ride a std bike again you realise how soft the front is. I wouldn't bother with the rear personally can't say I've noticed any difference. Great Bikes anyway :thumb2

Pretty much covered above, super soft front suspension so changed to hyper pro progressive which also gave a smoother ride also change to the DID x ring chain too as seemed the most common chain preference and happy out. Found the slimmer seat option to be better for me personally, not as wide between the legs so gives that extra reach as it is a tall bike.Never missed a beat, been battered, bruised, dropped and pummelled but still looks good. Been tempted to trade up to the big brother but just can't seem to part ways !

Best of luck

Thanks Guys, sounds like a pretty Safe Bet then.
Looking forward to trying her out now, and also to seeing if any of the suggested Mods have already been carried out.....

Thanks Guys, sounds like a pretty Safe Bet then.
Looking forward to trying her out now, and also to seeing if any of the suggested Mods have already been carried out.....

I've got a 1200GSA and and 800GSA and they are different bikes altogether in my opinion.

I love them both for different reasons but here are my observations.

• The 800 suffers from fork dive so next weekend I've got Hyperpro progressive spings and 10w fork oil going in. I will change the rear spring is due course.
  • I fitted a 16 tooth front sprocket to make it less buzzy at cruising speed.
  • Ordered a new chain from the Chain Man which I'm fitting next week as the factory chain is rubbish.
  • Fitted a Puig screen to help with airflow but and stop buffeting which was partially successful. Switched to a non peaked lid and buffeting has vanished :)
  • The standard ADV seat is pretty comfy but I use a sheepskin as well.
  • It's not too bad with 'er indoors on the back but she does say it's cramped compared to the 12.

I use it a lot for work and do a good mileage so one of the huge advantages over the 12 is the fuel consumption which is a miserly 65-70 mpg.

I've guided a couple of groups around Wales and they have been on various bikes but mostly GS's and Multistrada. Most of them commented that they thought my bike "went well" and they can get a shift on if you want them to.

I'll also take it to Alaska next year and do some long trips on it as I think they are very underrated for big trips.

Well it's all gone Tits-up for the minute!
The F800GS I thought I was going to be looking at has turned out to be an F800R!! :blast
The Wires obviously got well n truly crossed at some point.
Back to the Drawing Board....:nenau

I moved from an 1150GS to F800GS a few years ago and I am very happy with it.
I really loved the 1150GS and found it excellent but I needed a change after 11 years.

The 800GS is an equally excellent bike and I would have no hesitation in recommending one.
Mine is 2009.

Brake wise it is not as good as the 1150.
Brakes fade a bit easier and my conclusion is that it is related to the smaller circumference of the ABS Sensor ring - which is much smaller than the 1150 - and I assume it means coarser on-off control. Someone smarter may say different.

Front fork dive is also significant.
But once I realised this - 15 mins after buying it from Doyle up in Scotland - I stopped braking and just use the gearbox in corners which I find much better.
The handling is actually very good when you get the hang of it - about a day or so - and I think it works really well.

I generally only use the brakes for emergencies.

Power is pretty much the same as the 1150 - 85bhp, but the 800 lighter.
Once you are not on motorways I really see no difference and it is more than enough for the normal driving I do.
it works excellently on the bad Irish roads I usually travel.

Seat wise - I had a Sargent on the 1150GS which was superb and quite wide.
The stock seat on the 800 is poor.

The Sargent on the 800 is quite good but tapers towards the front - due to the seat being a bit higher - and I found I was sliding towards the front too easily.
I put 1" of foam under the front part of the Sargent which made a bit difference.
I also dropped the top yokes by 10mm to balance it out and overall I like it.

You will probably need a taller screen as well - there are loads of options.

Fuel economy is really good - 65-70mpg as Sgt Bilco said.
The throttle can be a bit snatchy at low speed.
I have played around with Booster Plugs and AFXIDs to improve it - and both do to different extents.

Regarding the chain drive - DID x-ring works for me - BMW one is soft.
I have JT sprockets but I believe BMW ones are equally good.
And once a Scotttoiler or similar is fitted I think it works excellently.

Just ensure chain adjustment is good - you will hear and feel the vibration if it is not - once adjusted it works really well. As good as the shaft to be honest..

It will carry as much luggage as you want - but less is more in the end and simpler.

I think they are a great bike.

Also own a F800gsa and a r1200gsa lc , I can only assume mine has had something done with the forks as the handling is excellent (especially now the engine works), very little fork dive and excellent damping.

Too cramped to use two up touring especially after the 1200.

Definetely needs a 17 tooth front sprocket and a non knicker elastic (BMW ) chain.

Averages 61mpg solo , but that said I can get 57mpg out of the 1200 two up touring .

Loved mine when I bought it, fell out of love when the engine turned out to be b*ggered, now it is fixed i love it again.

I hired an early f800gs in Austria back in 2009 for a couple of days and it ran rings around my r1150gs in the mountains

I’ve had 2 bikes with that engine. F800 st and gsa. The st had a belt drive. The gsa had the bmw liquorice super stretchy. Replaced with a did. Both bikes never missed a beat. The gsa traveled to the IOM with my son on board and camping gear. Would I have another? Well I do kind of. 850 gs. JJH

Thanks to everyone for their valuable Input.
All I've got to do now is find the right one.

I’ve got a ‘09, F800 and it will be hitting 100,000 miles in a week or two
It’s a great bike, never misses a beat
Things to watch out for over and above what has already been said - pre 2013 models had a rubbish headlight reflector, look out for dark, non reflective areas on reflector. The cam chain tensioner was modified around 2012, with a longer one. It’s well worth fitting one as it the cam chain rattles like a bastard, when engine is cold. Look out for flakey paint & corrosion on lower LH engine casings. Progressive fork springs cure the front end dive, I fitted Hyperpro on mine.
Good luck on your search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not done it myself but some say do not use uprated headlight bulbs as the extra heat burns/distorts the plastic reflectors in the headlight.

Not done it myself but some say do not use uprated headlight bulbs as the extra heat burns/distorts the plastic reflectors in the headlight.

Joe the standard bulb on my F650 scorched the plastic reflector, I think its a “ feature “ of the design

Steve

Back
Top Bottom