Hydraulic cam tensioner replacement.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike 2010 FLHTCU. Approx (changed speedo) 55,000 miles.
Don’t know what they are like but, I have a new set for use anyway.

To replace both the tensioners, when removing the cam plate with all bits attached, do I need to support the lifters from dropping?

Meanwhile, I shall consult my HD service manual but, alway polite to ask.

Patria o Muerte

Can’t help I’m afraid as I have an Evo - but I would think that the answer is “ be careful”

also, buy a set of quality, after market adjustable push rods...so you can cut the old ones and avoid taking the top end apart..

Doris, I do have a SE set of adjustable rods and lifters which I bought when buying a set of Andrews cams at Daytona bikeweek.

What takes a couple of hours for an indie mechanic to do may take me all week while umming and arring if it is right or wrong, reading 100 times the manual to confer or not having a particular tool (eg. bolt cutters).

With this lockdown due, it would have to be next year to get it done by someone else if my confidence wains.

A strip down is one thing, re-assembly is another.

Whenever doubt creeps in of one’s ability to complete a job at home in the comfort of your garage, the chances of the bike being buried away for another rainy day transpires. Considering I have no car or trailer.

Patria o Muerte

While you have it apart, it's worth changing out the inner cam bearings for new full complement ones. I have a bearing puller/seater tool for this if you would like to borrow it. I also have a couple of magnetic things that hold the lifters in place.

While you have it apart, it's worth changing out the inner cam bearings for new full complement ones. I have a bearing puller/seater tool for this if you would like to borrow it. I also have a couple of magnetic things that hold the lifters in place.

Inner cam bearings I believe are b-168 needle roller type for twin cam.
Timken / Torrington, Koyo or the other well known one on the tip of my tongue.

Best place to buy genuine bearings; possibly of a supported vendor?

Patria o Muerte

Hi adm1,
Having watched some YouTube videos, that tool makes the job less stressful and quick.
It would be a bonus to borrow it when the time comes but more than likely, it’ll be in the springtime when it gets done.
Also need the heads off and drilled to install the SE auto decompressor kit.

Patria o Muerte

I have some spare koyo inner cam bearings. Bought them when i changed my tensioners only to find when i stripped it down that they had already been changed!

Hi adm1,
Having watched some YouTube videos, that tool makes the job less stressful and quick.
It would be a bonus to borrow it when the time comes but more than likely, it’ll be in the springtime when it gets done.
Also need the heads off and drilled to install the SE auto decompressor kit.

Patria o Muerte

Just PM me if and when you decide to do it and I'll chuck the tools in the post. If you are taking the heads off, then it would be worth having a chat with Alex at Fastlane Head Works while you are at it:

http://www.fastlaneheadwork.co.uk/index.html

Alex is a top bloke - he'll happily drill and thread your heads for compression releases and it might well be worth considering getting them ported while he has them.

Thanks for the response and kind gesture and will do. I have spoken to Alex before. Knew him in Saudi when we both worked over there and riding our bikes in the Kingdom.
One major job I was planning was to bore out the 96” barrels to 107” which is the maximum; as I have a set of Carrillo low compression pistons. Alex does not have the facilities to do it. Whether I could buy a used set of 107 barrels, maybe from the US; I don’t know.
But certainly the SE auto decompressor kit would help even noe turning that engine over.

Patria o Muerte

Back
Top Bottom