Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust .. #CallumsRoad HELP PLEASE

DrFarkoff

Grumpy Ole Git!!!
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Many years ago a bunch of loons from this forum set out on a fundraising event to build a road!
I built one of the bikes that went and it was a cracking machine when the owner fitted all their gadgets and bits

One such thread which I can find at the minute is
https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/165971-Gambia-on-an-airhead

Yesterday their Lorry burst a tyre and after that the propshaft broke its centre mount whilst on a rescue mission

So any chance any of you have a couple of quid to add to pot Please do as per the links below

I will try and Find more info for Callums Road but it may have been archived by now

If you would like to make a donation to the Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust you can do so in a variety of ways:

- ONLINE - Via https://www.justgiving.com/ghdt or via the 'Online Donations' tab on our website
- VIA FACEBOOK - Simply click on the 'DONATE' button and follow the instructions
- VIA POST - Simply send an old fashioned cheque to our postal address
- PAYPAL ghdt@gambiahorseanddonkey.org.uk
Thank you!

Not one post or response ??

I suppose that most of the original bods who took part have moved on now

and I think the lady that was there, Stella (I think) has passed away from her cancer

A true shame to leave her Great work struggling

For just the cost of a pack of Fags or 2 Gallons of Fuel ???

This used to be a truly generous place :(

Only just seen this thread, thanks for posting it up Jay :)

Yeah, it was Johnny that got the ball rolling and sorted it, sadly having to pull out just before the off. A few of the lads are still around (I'm here :hippy) and we still keep in touch with the guys in the Gambia. AFAIK things are pretty much sorted but, hey, as they rely on donations to do their excellent work they are always happy to accept donations :beerjug:

The links you posted are to the page where we were arranging the trip so not a lot of info on the actual ride, if anybody is really bored below are Thunder's and my ride reports and quite a lot of snow :D Edit It looks like all of Thunders photos have disappeared, mine are still there though :)

Thunder's Road

Callums Road ~ A Ride Of Two Halves

Andres

Cheers Andres a great experience and one I'd love to have gone on

Great to see the road built in the end

The whole purpose of the trip

Was I correct that it was Stella that the lady was called and that she passed away a couple of years ago ?

Cheers Andres a great experience and one I'd love to have gone on

Great to see the road built in the end

The whole purpose of the trip

Was I correct that it was Stella that the lady was called and that she passed away a couple of years ago ?

Yeah, Stella was the driving force behind sorting out a medical centre there in Banjul and it's Stella that all the scoots (in the Sahara) boys were involved with.... It's Heather (her sister) that we dealt with and she was responsible for getting the road built (in memory of Stella) :thumb2

Andres

Stella did indeed pass away; after her demise the Gambian Government apparently took over her Chimp sanctuary and visitor facility but that's a story for another time.

Ah!! So I suspect I have gone off on a bit of a a skew line with the Horse and Donkey trust

I remember many years ago how it was such an important resource in the area and quite frankly, If I could? I would like to go and spend some time out there

I've been following them for years

Still! It is worth shaking the hat for them I think ?

Any links for the Hospital pages to see how they are doing ?

I recall the Honda XL with the sidecar on it and Thunder riding it

I’ve only just noticed this, but thanks for posting. I was one of the riders in the Callum’s road group, it certainly was a great adventure. To my knowledge one or two of us continue to support Heather at The Gambia horse and donkey trust particularly as her work now extends to educating Gambian children, a worthwhile cause in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom