Irish Sea crossings

alan29

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of driving this next year - we are old and the old lady can't do long days on pillion any more.
What are peoples experiences of the various ferry routes?
We live on the Wirral so the Liverpool and Birkenhead ferries are minutes away but I hear the crossings can be stomach churning .....

Thinking of driving this next year - we are old and the old lady can't do long days on pillion any more.
What are peoples experiences of the various ferry routes?
We live on the Wirral so the Liverpool and Birkenhead ferries are minutes away but I hear the crossings can be stomach churning .....

It really is the luck of the draw with the weather and sea state. I've done ferries to Ireland and IOM numerous times and never had an issue with a rough sea....someone will be along shortly to say how the last one they took was like being in a washing machine...never again etc.
Just book a crossing and see how it pans out

Ferry crossing, obvious would be Holyhead, short and reasonably quick. If you take the Liverpool option, you take a cabin too, generally in my experience if its rough an,d you are in bed, no problem.. I have elderly friends who always do the Liverpool route as in any case its a night accommodation whilst in transit which they would need either end at the port anyway...

I took Liverpool Belfast last month.

Lovely ferry.

Pay the 12 quid for lounge access and enjoy an 8 hr mini cruise.

Nibbles wine coffee etc etc included.

That would be my advice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use the ferries to Ireland a lot, usually Holyhead - Dublin. As Davey B says, its a bit of a lottery. We have had everything from mill pond crossings to roller coaster rides!!

One Christmas a couple of years ago, the crossing over was so bad that the kids nearly refused to get on the ferry coming back!! Needless to say they aren't keen on going in Winter any more.

If you're not stuck on a specific date, and you don't need to travel school holidays, I would say get Stenna flexi fare, or whatever Irish ferries do, and if the sea state is looking dodgy, move your crossing. Note its the sea state you are interested in, NOT the weather forecast.

Depends whereabouts in Ireland you're going. If you're heading to the north it might be worth looking at Cairnryan. If you go into/out of Larne I can recommend an excellent hotel 2 minutes away from the ferry & a great fish & chip shop 5 minutes away from the hotel.

I get seasick watching the ferries go up the lough - but it is really luck of the draw when it comes to sea state and how rough they can be.

Wont regale tales of woe - but the idea of a flexi fare were you can change late notice without fee is a good call.

a

In addition to the weather the ship makes a big difference. Newer/bigger are more stabilised. Ulysses Irish Ferries is a good choice on Liv/Dub even in reasonably bad weather. The fast boats are great from May onwards.

Remember 14 days restricted movement on arrival in Ireland is likely to apply for quite a while. Ireland is applying the EU traffic light system soon and given the state of the Covid situation in England it’s unlikely to turn green for you anytime in the near future.

Take a first class cabin on the overnight ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast it'll be fine

Good advice. Thanks.
thinking of going Liverpool-Belfast for Giants causeway, then nipping down to Galway to do the crinkly bits round the south to Cork and back from Dublin.
Should be a trip.

Don't overlook the P&O Dublin/Liverpool service which includes cabin and dinner in the price.

And get some of the travel sickness tablets. I use Kwells and they help me.
I have no idea how much they will help
If it’s full on storm but they keep me happy when it’s anything other than pond flat. I use them on flights too.

Wife has tried Kwells they are OK providing the sea isn't too rough.
Completely ineffective on the Bay of Biscay.

Take the overnight Birkenhead to Belfast with a cabin. Have used this several times without issue (from Belfast). Cabins are always clean, warm, with TV and WiFi. I never bother with the window option as its dark anyway. Went over to Anfield late December last year there was a bit of a swell and whilst it was noticeable when walking about, not so when in the lounge or cabin. Food is a tad expensive and under no circumstances take the overnighter without a cabin as its a very long night otherwise. Disembarking puts you straight onto the M2 motorway for onward travel.

Took the Cairnryan Belfast Stena last march during a ferocious storm and the sailing was excellent. The Captain was brilliant and explained about the stabilisers being used in the rough seas. The waves were coming over the top off the front of the boat hitting the glass and it was very exciting but the sailing was fine. They really are built well and the staff couldnt have done enough for anyone that was feeling a bit off colour! Its less than a 2 hour journey so not too long to gin and bear it!

Great places to see, I stayed in Sligo snd toured from there

50e2f01bfd70973dfc7e65475bf79445.jpg

e6a8c55b03520757c4d38200a8d180c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom