Irish Sea crossings

Many many years ago I took the bucket they used to call the 'mail boat' from DunLaoghaire to Holyhead. Down to the ferry Friday evening straight after work, dinner was a sausage roll & a pre-packed apple & blackberry thing from the bar, there being no Maccys or the like in those days. By the time we left the protection of the harbour people were already looking pale & within an hour the bathrooms were awash with puke from those who didn't make it to the sink or bowl & the smell throughout the boat was appalling. Shortly thereafter I regifted my dinner to the plumbing system. For the first hour or two I was afraid I was going to die, for the rest of the journey I was afraid I wasn't going to die...

Never underestimate the small strip of water that is the Irish Sea !

Feel your pain Jochen. Many crazy things with those old boats. Once coming from Liverpool in the 70’s they decided they had to stop travelling and face the prevailing wind until the storm passed. 4 hours we stood still bobbing up a d down. Toilets blocked after the first hour. It was carnage after that. Can’t imagine what the cleaning crew thought when we docked.

Thankfully weather forecasting and stabilisers have improved a lot.

Many many years ago I took the bucket they used to call the 'mail boat' from DunLaoghaire to Holyhead. Down to the ferry Friday evening straight after work, dinner was a sausage roll & a pre-packed apple & blackberry thing from the bar, there being no Maccys or the like in those days. By the time we left the protection of the harbour people were already looking pale & within an hour the bathrooms were awash with puke from those who didn't make it to the sink or bowl & the smell throughout the boat was appalling. Shortly thereafter I regifted my dinner to the plumbing system. For the first hour or two I was afraid I was going to die, for the rest of the journey I was afraid I wasn't going to die...

Never underestimate the small strip of water that is the Irish Sea !

That reminds me of a hovercraft crossing I did to France decades ago. People all around puking while we were sealed in a plastic bubble.

I appreciate that you are very close to the Liverpool-Belfast, which I have used to get home. But I much prefer the Cairnryan-Belfast ferry and I live in London. Once beyond you’re beyond Tebay Services on the M6, the countryside is spectacular and the A75 is a decent ride from Carlisle to the ferry. I’d rather spend 90mins on the ferry than 8 1/2hrs. And when you arrive, you are on the doorstep of the spectacular North coast ride from Belfast-Carnlough, Cushendall, Cushendun, Ballycastle, Ballintoy, Giants Causeway, Portrush route.

just for your information The Ferry from Cairnryan to Belfast takes 2hrs 15 minutes. The ferry into Larne takes 2 hours.

I appreciate that you are very close to the Liverpool-Belfast, which I have used to get home. But I much prefer the Cairnryan-Belfast ferry and I live in London. Once beyond you’re beyond Tebay Services on the M6, the countryside is spectacular and the A75 is a decent ride from Carlisle to the ferry. I’d rather spend 90mins on the ferry than 8 1/2hrs. And when you arrive, you are on the doorstep of the spectacular North coast ride from Belfast-Carnlough, Cushendall, Cushendun, Ballycastle, Ballintoy, Giants Causeway, Portrush route.

But the M6 though!

Back
Top Bottom