BMW navigator I’ve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt2376

Reaction score
Hi all

Just a quick one,
Does anyone leave their sat nav on their bike 24/7 even in a lockable mount?

I’m just wondering how the cold weather etc would affect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave mine in permanently and never had any issues because of the weather. The only time I would consider removing it is if I parked up in Leeds or Bradford cos some scum bag would nick it. Having said that, in Bradford they’d probably just simplify matters and take the whole damn bike!

OP you decided not tell us how often in the 24/7 period and for how long you intend to leave the device before firing it up and charging it, presumably through the bike.

I only ask as, if the gaps between charged use and no use are extended, say over several weeks *, the device's little battery will lose its charge. Some owners report a piss boiling delay and much angst between a device with a flat battery re-booting itself and full operation, which delays their run to Tesco's car park (distance 500 yards) no end.

Some owners also report a parasitic leak between the silent device and their bike's battery, which results in a dead GPS device and a dead bike, when the device is left in-situ. This promotes piss boiled anger beyond reason.

Others report no problems at all.

Is there some reason why you cannot remove it? Have you not told SWMBO you have bought it and are afraid of the wrath that will ensue? Not least, do you need the device on the bike each and every time you are sitting on the vehicle and / or for it be in place permanently when you are not? Or are you just seeking to obtain maximum value from your lockable mount?

* Logically shorter if the frost is on the pumpkin.

Being a new toy I use it for the sake of it at the moment.

Length of time is only over night, before my 1hr commute to work every day.

I’ve just ordered a TT locking mount for it.

similar to Wapping. if my bike is not being ridden for three threes, I remove the nav and it gets the odd home charge,so when its back on the bike, its ready to go

The novelty will soon wear off.

I doubt if the lockable mount makes any difference.

True, thanks for the input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom