F750 GS Handlebar Trimming?

Youngson

Reaction score
Hi all.

I’m close to purchasing the F750 GS Sport, but a quick measuring of it’s widest dimensions (bar end to bar end, presuming the mirrors fold), reveals that it won’t fit between the house and fence, down to a lockup garage!

Well Bugger Me!🙁

So, I hatched a plan of sawing an inch or so off each bar end to facilitate the fit!

Would this be recommended and/or fairly easy to accomplish (i.e getting the switchgear on and off, etc), or would a smaller set of bars be recommended?

Thanks in anticipation and stay safe!

Not familiar with the model.

I had an old F650, that had bar-end weights that you could remove, but they’re there for good reason, so you wouldn’t want to.

More generally, you would have to move all the switchgear along the bars. Probably redrill the bars for locator pins, etc.

If you can buy narrower bars, ok, but DIY will devalue your bike and possibly invalidate your warranty. And it might make the bike less pleasant to ride, though I doubt an inch either side would make it difficult or dangerous.

Sorry not to be more positive.
Simon

Not familiar with the model.

Many thanks for your reply!

I’ve decided to leave the standard bars alone, and garage elsewhere for the meantime, where access is okay.

I understand the balance and warranty issues if the bars are tampered with, so I’ll leave them well alone! I can also imagine the ‘faff’ with re-locating all the switchgear on chopped bars ... don’t really fancy that.

Thanks again & regards
Andy

I understand the balance and warranty issues if the bars are tampered with, so I’ll leave them well alone! I can also imagine the ‘faff’ with re-locating all the switchgear on chopped bars ... don’t really fancy that.

Thanks again & regards
Andy

I have the R1250GS and the dealer swapped the standard bars with the one from the R1250R(£200), reason: better ergonomics. The bar from R is narrower by 1.5" on either side. Plenty of room for the switchgears, no warranty issue (why should be?) or any heated grip problems.

Attachments

• BAR.jpg
    BAR.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 70
  • BAR1.jpg
    BAR1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 74

Back
Top Bottom