Insurance with no garage

mrklunk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having a problem getting a decent price and some companies won't even cover me as I don't have a garage. Anyone found a company who are OK with it? I have a private garden with 6" fence around it. Intend building a good quality secure shed (on concrete slabs) but that's going to take a while and I need to pick the bike up.

My partner has a garage and live round the corner but suspect this won't fly as it's not my home address.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Having a problem getting a decent price and some companies won't even cover me as I don't have a garage. Anyone found a company who are OK with it? I have a private garden with 6" fence around it. Intend building a good quality secure shed (on concrete slabs) but that's going to take a while and I need to pick the bike up.

My partner has a garage and live round the corner but suspect this won't fly as it's not my home address.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Go to be moto and they will quote you for both the garden and your mates garage.

Decent price, well that's your view if risk, they may have a different risk.

What bike, how old, what price

Go to be moto and they will quote you for both the garden and your mates garage.

Decent price, well that's your view if risk, they may have a different risk.

What bike, how old, what price

Spoke to them this afternoon, they said needs to be in locked building of some sort. I'm getting shed's priced as we speak. Have emailed them about storing at my partners garage. Cheers.

My brother out up a 'shed' but its basically a concrete section garage, but much smaller, very substantial and its a great bike 'house'.

Hes on here so if you need more info I can get him to look at the thread.

cheers Ali

Spoke to them this afternoon, they said needs to be in locked building of some sort. I'm getting shed's priced as we speak. Have emailed them about storing at my partners garage. Cheers.

Have you looked at the Asgard 'sold secure' metal garage? Not the cheapest but buy the correct one and it will meet the insurance company requirements. They can be bolted onto a concrete base and then are as secure as the next thing. I use one as an overspill storage facility. There were a couple going secondhand on ebay so worth looking if your budget is challenged. Just a thought for you ........ :thumb

My brother out up a 'shed' but its basically a concrete section garage, but much smaller, very substantial and its a great bike 'house'.

Hes on here so if you need more info I can get him to look at the thread.

cheers Ali

Hi, thanks for this, I had thought about a 'mini garage' but thought it would be more expensive? Would love to hear more and speak to your brother or read the thread. Thank you.

Hi, cheers for this, I will look into this. Suspect my location for delivery and construction may be an issue. I have to move fast as I can't pick the bike up until I can get insurance :( Looking at all options. Cheers

Both Bennett's and Carol Nash will insure me with no garage. After having one stolen 2 years ago it is a bit expensive mind...

I had the option of renting a lock up 100 yards from me but couldn't get insurance as it wasn't on my property.

I'd check the policy wording - most seem to defin a garage as being 'brick built'.

Both Bennett's and Carol Nash will insure me with no garage. After having one stolen 2 years ago it is a bit expensive mind...

I had the option of renting a lock up 100 yards from me but couldn't get insurance as it wasn't on my property.

Have just actually had a good quote from Bennetts :) Without a garage. Just need to call and check something at 9 am. Thanks for your help.

I'd check the policy wording - most seem to defin a garage as being 'brick built'.

Thanks. Some of them seem to accept shed built on a concrete base. Looks like I've got something sorted now anyway. Thanks

You can insure your bikes as garaged at a different address.
I’ve done it for years.

I rent a lock up that is near where I live.
No issues insuring the bikes on a different postcode.
I’ve been doing this for years with MCE and BMW/Devitts before them.

Up to four years ago, the bikes where garaged at another location (my old office’s garage) miles from where I lived.

You can insure your bikes as garaged at a different address.
I’ve done it for years.

I rent a lock-up that is near where I live.
No issues insuring the bikes on a different postcode.
I’ve been doing this for years with MCE and BMW/Devitts before them.

Up to four years ago, the bikes where garaged at another location (my old office’s garage) miles from where I lived.

Interesting. Dean at BeMoto checked out this option for me and said "no". I'm with MCE for my 750. haven't replied to emails and calls all week to change my bike hence the change of insurance company. Was supposed to pick it up Friday but no one at MCE would talk to me to change details. Incredible considering it would have been a higher premium and an amendment fee.

Interesting. Dean at BeMoto checked out this option for me and said "no". I'm with MCE for my 750. haven't replied to emails and calls all week to change my bike hence the change of insurance company. Was supposed to pick it up Friday but no one at MCE would talk to me to change details. Incredible considering it would have been a higher premium and an amendment fee.
They won't talk to you as most of the staff have been furloughed , just like mobile companies and other help desks, despite the revenue income being the same.
Quite happy to hide behind covid for 3 hour wait on the phone.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Interesting. Dean at BeMoto checked out this option for me and said "no".

Check again.
I found the guys at the MCE call centre to be fairly helpful to be honest.

I had 2 bikes garaged at my office. That was on the other side of London.
Once they sort of questioned it, but explained I don't (didn't) use the bikes that much, and that was true at the time.
It was very unpractical, and also it was a communal garage, so it made no big change in the risk factor for the insurance. My premium was insanely high.
For a while I had the bikes kept at 2 different locations. One garaged at the office and the other at home on private grounds. But that lasted just 1 year I think.

I then rented a lock up. It is walking distance from where I live. The insurance is happy, the premium went down considerably (offsets much of the rental contract). I'm actually happy because I can do some work on the bikes. I have CCTV, etc.
Given the distance is minimal, I had no issues declaring them at a different address there. They didn't question me as it happened to the other (far) location.

I guess it helps that I live relatively central in London and it is uncommon to have a garage at the same place where you live for most people.

Check again.
I found the guys at the MCE call centre to be fairly helpful to be honest.

I had 2 bikes garaged at my office. That was on the other side of London.
Once they sort of questioned it, but explained I don't (didn't) use the bikes that much, and that was true at the time.
It was very unpractical, and also it was a communal garage, so it made no big change in the risk factor for the insurance. My premium was insanely high.
For a while I had the bikes kept at 2 different locations. One garaged at the office and the other at home on private grounds. But that lasted just 1 year I think.

I then rented a lock up. It is walking distance from where I live. The insurance is happy, the premium went down considerably (offsets much of the rental contract). I'm actually happy because I can do some work on the bikes. I have CCTV, etc.
Given the distance is minimal, I had no issues declaring them at a different address there. They didn't question me as it happened to the other (far) location.

I guess it helps that I live relatively central in London and it is uncommon to have a garage at the same place where you live for most people.

Bennetts have covered me based on the bike being kept in my back garden. I will be building a secure shed though. I was with MCE there phone lines ring out, nobody can help on chat and 10 emails go unanswered. All I wanted to do was change my bike which would've meant more money for them but no one called me back. Insurance companies seem fine until you have a problem or a claim, only then do we find out what they are really like. Think MCE may have major problems to be honest, the forums are full of people who cant get hold of them, some with claims issues.

Mine is insured for parked on the drive no problem at all from Cornmarket.

Back
Top Bottom