Clutch Slip After Lay Up

Udders

A Needy Twat
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So during the first lockdown I dug my 1150 out of its hibernation ( about 3 years ) and got it MOT’d etc....
It ran perfectly on its first proper run pulling well through all the gears with no clutch slip but when I was going 85-90mph ( on a private road obvs ) and cracked the throttle open it did slip. :confused:
Is this a symptom of being laid up for a few years or is the clutch knackered? Is there an oil seal leaking internally etc...? Is it just “ glazed “ from being sat up and will sort itself out after a few more miles? I only did about 40 miles then put it away again! :blast The bike has done 35,000 miles and it wasn’t slipping before it was parked up.
I think I know that it would probably be better to get it changed in the long run. I need other work doing to it anyway but a clutch is a major job and beyond my capabilities.
Ta.

I ran my 1150 up to 33k when I started f/t training so lots of clutch work there = unlikely to be worn out at 35k.
No leak/problem before lay up so unlikely to develop there.
I would suggest getting it out and using it gently, within your lockdown proviso`s of course.

Deliberately slip the clutch and try again :) also take starter off and look for traces of a slight oil leak when it was stood.

Deliberately slip the clutch and try again :) also take starter off and look for traces of a slight oil leak when it was stood.

Ok. Thanks. May be a week or two before I get chance though. :thumb2

or,start the bike on the center stand,when its running take the starter off (being ever so careful not to let the live at the end of the starter touch earth)
then while you have the starter off and its running give the clutch a good spray of brake and parts cleaner.it evaporates very quickly.
then switch of engine and refit starter

or,start the bike on the center stand,when its running take the starter off (being ever so careful not to let the live at the end of the starter touch earth)
then while you have the starter off and its running give the clutch a good spray of brake and parts cleaner.it evaporates very quickly.
then switch of engine and refit starter

I think if you were going that route it would be more effective to remove the starter and cable tie the clutch lever to bars and turn the engine via the rear wheel while spraying cleaner in :)

I think if you were going that route it would be more effective to remove the starter and cable tie the clutch lever to bars and turn the engine via the rear wheel while spraying cleaner in :)

removing the starter from a running bike would give me the cold sweats too :D

Back
Top Bottom