Nav 6 cutting phone

SBD

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

New GS, New Nav 6. Sena 5 on the helmet, iPhone 8 in front pocket.

Without the Nav, phone, tft and helmet works, I can receive calls and the clarity is pretty good.

Fitted the Nav 6, can hear Doris telling me where to go, and music works, but the phone doesn’t. I can’t hear the caller and they can’t hear me, despite the screen showing an active call.

I went to the audio mixer, and if the Sena is turned off, all three bars (Nav, Phone, Music) are at 100%. As soon as I turn the helmet on, the phone bar pretty-much instantly goes to zero, greys out and cannot be adjusted. It goes back to 100% as soon as I turn the Sena off again. The other two bars do not change.

Seems to me that something is not connected right or in the right order.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong please?

Ta
Simon

You’re all forgetting that it’s not supposed to connect that way.
Phone to screen.
Sena to screen.
Nav works with bike through screen.
Connect Nav to sena and you get a conflict with the routing.

Thanks all.

Phone not connected to Sena,

Summary of video:

Clear all connections on all devices, phone, TFT & Nav
Factory reset on Sena
Sena to TFT using primary connection on Sena
Sena to Nav using secondary connection on Sena (or GPS channel if it has one)
Pair phone to TFT (and do allow phonebook)
Pair phone to Nav (don’t allow phonebook)
Pair Sena to Sena for passenger

Replace Sena 5 with Sena 30

Not sure about the last one, but will report back in due course. Probably Friday.

If it doesn’t work, I’ll clear it all again and reconnect phone and TFT without connecting the phone and Nav, and see if that’s better

Cheers
Simon

Thanks all.

Summary of video:

Factory reset on Sena

Not sure about the last one, but will report back in due course. Probably Friday.

If it doesn’t work, I’ll clear it all again and reconnect phone and TFT without connecting the phone and Nav, and see if that’s better

Cheers
Simon

In my case ignore the phone to the nav and all fine since.

Ok, would have been better to do it on Friday, cos it’s blowing a hoolie and ruddy cold.

Anyway, followed the instructions from the video, and it did not work, I’m not quite sure what I did but I managed to get the phone working, but the headset did not pair in A2DP and so I then didn’t have music.

Looking at Mr Bean’s comment above, and reading the Sena manual again, I thought I’d try to pair the phone with the headset on the multipoint, and the headset with the Nav in A2DP, the phone is not paired with the Nav, and I have music and phone connections. It looks like I will be able to hear Doris the Nagivator too.

I guess the lack of connection between phone and Nav will prevent the interminable traffic warnings.

Not sure if the connection between phone and TFT will allow control of the phone, but I doubt I’d ever want to make a call when I’m going anyway, I could just stop, it’s being able to receive them that’s handy.

I think having it set up this way will mean it’s the same when I fit the mount I just got on eBay to the Guzzi - I’ll have phone direct, and Doris and music from the Nav. Fingers crossed.

I will report further when I have more certainty about what works and what doesn’t.

Atb
Simon

Couldn't hear Doris on the way to work this morning. Music works. Phone worked last night, need to try it on the bike today.

It is tedious, and for a premium product, rather disappointing.

I shall make a diagram of possible connections, and tick them off one at a time.

Meanwhile, I suspect that one I have not tried is PitaNaanRoti's suggestion of not pairing the Sena with the Nav. I'm not sure if or how that works, but it's worth a try.

More soon, perhaps.
Simon

The TFT acts as the hub.
If you pair the sena with the Nav it is trying to send instructions through the TFT while you’re trying to listen to it from the Nav.
With the Nav V it was better that way but the 6 doesn’t route the same.
Sena to TFT.
Phone to TFT.
Nothing else.

Ta, will try that next.

I’ll be grateful if it works, but then I’ll still have to work out how to connect the Nav & Sena without the GS when I take the Guzzi out...

Progress, or not:

I factory-reset the Sena and then tried PitaNaanRoti’s suggestion, with only the phone and Sena connected to the TFT: this did not give me the voice guidance from the Nav, or music from the Nav, though the phone worked as a phone, and the TFT allowed me to play music from the phone (how do you pause/stop it playing?) and I guess google nav would have worked.

This is effectively where I was before I bought the Nav6, indeed, before I bought the GS, except the use of the TFT of course.

Interestingly, the Nav “tried” to link via Bluetooth to the TFT. I had a couple of goes, but it wouldn’t actually connect.

I then connected the Sena to the Nav, using the Multipoint Pairing as described in the Sena manual. It worked! I was able to make & receive calls, play music and hear Doris! Brilliant! I think that this is effectively Mr Bean’s suggestion.

Went to the local motor factor and checked that it all worked, parked the bike, bought some circlips and a T25 screwdriver, went back t9 the bike, and the Nav link dropped and it would not rejoin. The TFT link to the phone worked fine on the way home.

I hadn’t turned the Sena off when I went into the shop, so I suspect it is something to do with the pairing order, but at least it does seem that there is a way to make it work so I can have the phone, Nav and music, with the Nav connected. I’ll have a further play over the weekend, once I’ve read the Nav manual again.

The ideal outcome is that when I use the GS without the Nav (ie pretty much “everyday”) I should be able to use the phone via the TFT, and, ideally, I’d fit the Nav6 when I’m going on a trip, and it would seamlessly switch over to access the Nav and music on that. This seems rather optimistic given my experience to date.

And the wildly optimistic scenario is that I put the Nav in the 4-button mount I’ve purchased for the Guzzi, and the phone Nav and music would all work too, but without the tft and wonderwheel, of course, so that implies connecting the phone & Sena either directly or via the Nav.

Clearly, the fixed points are the phone and helmet - I could change the SHM5 for a higher spec version if it makes the difference - but given the premium nature of the GS and the Nav6, it really should not be this difficult to get the comms to work.

Thanks for the support & suggestions

More soon...
Simon

Much faffing and many resets later, I conclude that the SHM5 simply will not multi-point pair with the bike and the Nav6.

I can pair the phone with the TFT, and the Sena with the TFT and that gives me a phone connection, which can be controlled by the wheel, phone navigation, and phone music (which I still haven’t found out how to pause, stop, ff, I think the dial on the headset might do it).

I can pair the Sena with the Nav6 and get Doris turn-by-turn and music.

Starting from either connection, the second connection either cannot be made, or disconnects the first, or gets me a non-music connection between the Nav & Sena.

To be fair to the BMW/Garmin duo, the Sena is maybe two years old, and despite many efforts using the Sena website and PC app, I have never been able to update its firmware, indeed, I don’t even know what it has. I am tending to the view that a newer/higher spec Sena might solve the problem, though I’m not full of confidence, particularly given the failure of the firmware updating process.

Any more ideas?

Thanks
Simon

Thanks all.

Summary of video:

Factory reset on Sena

Cheers
Simon

Getting a bit bored with the game.

Bought a pair of Cardo Packtalk Bold, fitted to helmet without grief, except the sticky pad didn’t, and had to be replaced, fortunately I have d/s foam tape which has the adhesive properties of that which sticks to babies’ blankets.

Attempted to do the primary pairing of headset to tft and secondary pairing of headset to Nav6. Phone paired to tft. It worked until I tried out the phone and then it failed to reconnect the music.

Gave up on the tft to headset, connected phone to headset on secondary, and phone to Nav6, and Nav6 to headset on primary. I get phone, music and Doris, and the phone is still connected to the tft for speed limits etc.

This means that the wonderwheel dialling doesn’t work on the tft, which is a shame, not that I use it much, but nice to have.

On the upside, the Nav cradle ive fitted to my Guzzi allows the same functions on both bikes, and the phone will ring thru to the helmet if I’m doing local stuff and haven’t fitted the Nav.

However, I think the Sena would have done this too, means I could have got here without buying the Cardo...

Ho hum
Simon

Back
Top Bottom