bugginbob

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

New to the world of GS's after years of various bikes. Also have a Triumph Scrambler which I love but tends to get polished more than ridden (especially in the winter). As I was looking for a sensible winter commuter bike and a mate with a GS was skint I decided to help him out and picked up a 2002 R1150GS with 42k on it just before lockdown.

I'm the fifth owner, the first had it for 10 years and the other three for around three years each. Came with a few nice accessories (Top box, Touring panniers, Touratech hard part, Bash plate, Centre stand cover/plate, rear mudguard, rear hugger, front mudguard ext and bagster tank cover - probably more that I haven't worked out yet). It's got a folder full of history although hasn't had a full service in two years (but only 1200 miles) so i'll go through it during lockdown.

Overall in pretty good condition with a bit of corrosion on the head's, header pipes, block and some bolts.

I've only had one ride on it so far for 30 miles in the wet on mud covered roads but it is lovely. Handles much better than my equally weighty Scrambler, better balanced and the front end is more positive. I'm really pleased. Fingers crossed it stays reliable over the winter.

Looking forward to being on the forum.

7mYpFDPZ77rL5xq48

Last edited:
Hi welcome to the world of GSs, and other marques.

Just wondered on your thoughts on the Scrambler, as I was considering getting one as a day ride bike......... perhaps some off road, but lots of knarly back lanes with the usual mud, gravel, leaves etc.

I do these on the GS and its brill but was thinking a Scrambler might be real fun. I wonder what the difference would be like...any thoughts please.

cheers Ali

Hi welcome to the world of GSs, and other marques.

Just wondered on your thoughts on the Scrambler, as I was considering getting one as a day ride bike......... perhaps some off road, but lots of knarly back lanes with the usual mud, gravel, leaves etc.

I do these on the GS and its brill but was thinking a Scrambler might be real fun. I wonder what the difference would be like...any thoughts please.

cheers Ali
The BMW r9t scrambler or the triumph one ?

Hi Cabby, have you any thoughts on either?

I'm not set on either marque at the mo.

cheers Ali

I owned the BMW version, looks the coolest bike on the planet, rides like the worst one.

Do as I didn't do and take advice by not buying, it's horrendous to ride.

Not owned nor ridden the Triumph version but a few on here rate it highly.

To be fair to the scrambler BMW, I love mine, but I only use it for going for coffee and bimbling along A and B roads.

The ride is perfectly adequate for that for me :)

Back
Top Bottom