ECU reflash or power commander?

daviedevs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have the above options. 1290 Super adventure S.

ECU reflash at hill top £260..wont affect top end but im assured will improve low down and mid range.

PC £550 but will improve the entire rev range..and i can always sell it if i sell the bike in the future.

Anyone had either done?

Had the ECU done at Hilltop on my 1190.

Smoothed things out low down. Didn't get a before and after dyno printout as he said the bike was already running too lean to test it - it had been decatted and was running a Wings end can. No idea if that was bullshit but the "after" run showed 132rwbhp which I thought was pretty good. Downside was that I lost the step in power at about 6k rpm which I loved. I wouldn't take another KTM to them as I think the gains are marginal but the guys on GS's that were there said they noticed a massive improvement on their engines.
Maybe it works better on some bikes than others.

There is a lot of bad press about hilltop

The choice is yours, but some of his videos just don’t make sense. Like being to lean to run and then getting a print out, without measuring the AFR.

A PC or a proper map would be my recommendation

There is a lot of bad press about hilltop

The choice is yours, but some of his videos just don’t make sense. Like being to lean to run and then getting a print out, without measuring the AFR.

A PC or a proper map would be my recommendation

Cheers

I would talk to a few others, had great results on other makes with CJS Racing, very honest about what can and cannot be done and how he does it.

BSD performance do lots of KTM's but I think they use a Power Commander - give them a call.

I also have a few friends who have been really happy with John Warrington, again give him a call and ask.

http://www.jwmotorcycles.co.uk/

I would talk to a few others, had great results on other makes with CJS Racing, very honest about what can and cannot be done and how he does it.

BSD performance do lots of KTM's but I think they use a Power Commander - give them a call.

I also have a few friends who have been really happy with John Warrington, again give him a call and ask.

http://www.jwmotorcycles.co.uk/

Cheers for the input.

Cheers for the input.
Try Dave Wood Racing in Buckingham. He used to race the RC8s and can definitely flash the ecu. Only ever heard good things about him.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Try Dave Wood Racing in Buckingham. He used to race the RC8s and can definitely flash the ecu. Only ever heard good things about him.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Dave's a good bloke and very knowledgeable, but he could flash my 690R Adventure so I went to PDQ who did a great job with a Power Commander.

I would have no problem going back to Hilltop either as Geoff did a great job on two of my previous bigger bikes when I put full systems on them.

Lots of choice out there fella!

Try Dave Wood Racing in Buckingham. He used to race the RC8s and can definitely flash the ecu

He told me he could not flash the 1290S ECU when I called, but that was quite some time ago so maybe worth asking again.

If you find anyone who is mapping a 1290 then please share, I would love to have mine done this way, but looking more likely to go down the Power Commander route as it is tried and tested and easy to revert.

He told me he could not flash the 1290S ECU when I called, but that was quite some time ago so maybe worth asking again.

If you find anyone who is mapping a 1290 then please share, I would love to have mine done this way, but looking more likely to go down the Power Commander route as it is tried and tested and easy to revert.

I’ve been told
Jordan bikes in Leeds might be good for the 1290?

He can definitely flash the 1190!

Great, tell the OP to flog his 1290 and buy an 1190 and you can solve his dilemma - perfect ;-)
Or someone with an 1190 can get a reflash - what's the problem with that?? Perhaps you want everyone to keep info to themselves?? Seems pointless to me!

Or someone with an 1190 can get a reflash - what's the problem with that?? Perhaps you want everyone to keep info to themselves??

Yes, that's why I shared details of three other ECU tuners I have either used or know people that have.

AFAIK the later (2017) onwards ECU's are more difficult to flash, in fact this has been going on for a while, no longer can you just buy a cable and get some free software and flash your own bike, just as I thought Power Commanders were consigned to history I think they may have a resurgence as anti-tamper on ECU's gets more difficult to work around.

Back
Top Bottom