Best way to remove the red paint from inside the petrol tank please.

Steve in Kent

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got a 32 litre tank for my 2001 R1150GS, but the lining is coming off in chunks.

Anybody got a link that shows me the best way to get rid of the original coating, and what to coat it with?

Thanks,

Steve

Probably get shot down, but mine has been doing it for years I just took off the worst and left it, They do have a pretty good filter system inside the tank....

Probably get shot down, but mine has been doing it for years I just took off the worst and left it, They do have a pretty good filter system inside the tank....

I’ve got exactly the same problem with the used 32L tank I bought. I’m taking mine into these guys for them to sort it out

Fuel tanks.co.uk

I rang them up and they sound like they know what they’re doing

Worth having a chat with tankcare. He has all sorts of hemicals for removing different things.

This may be a bit basic but it has worked for me, take the tank off and chuck in a load of nuts (m6 or something, not monkey nuts) and start shaking. They take off any flakes or lose paint, empty and clean the tank then coat with tank liner paint.

Just been in the garden having spent half an hour shaking the tank with a load of sharp gravel in it.

Looks like there is no flaking paint left.

Might get a tank repair kit with cleaner, etcher, and paint.

have a look at Silmid, I have used it before, its a product used for sealing of boat and aircraft tanks where access is limited, took about 2 days to fully harden but after that had no issues at all.

Evidently not the same, the Por15 came up in the same Google search...

After having a go with gravel for 30 minutes, it looks like the affected area is about 6" x 3" near the fuel pump opening.

I'm coming round to just using it as is because I could make it worse if I miss a bit with the new paint.

Attachments

• Tank 05.jpg
    Tank 05.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 256
After having a go with gravel for 30 minutes, it looks like the affected area is about 6" x 3" near the fuel pump opening.

I'm coming round to just using it as is because I could make it worse if I miss a bit with the new paint.

Compared to mine yours looks new.

When my standard GS tank started flaking I pulled the worst off then using a 3m pad I sanded back what was left so it had a smooth edge.
To get into the trickier to reach places I used a slightly bent piece of 20mm plastic electrical conduit with the pad cable tied on the end.
Never painted the tank just keep it full when bike is laid up.

Adrian

When my standard GS tank started flaking I pulled the worst off then using a 3m pad I sanded back what was left so it had a smooth edge.
To get into the trickier to reach places I used a slightly bent piece of 20mm plastic electrical conduit with the pad cable tied on the end.
Never painted the tank just keep it full when bike is laid up.

Adrian

That would have been a good idea, it's all back together now....

Back
Top Bottom