Battery Float charge

resovoir

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
First i admit I an new to the forum and BMW motorbikes. I have just purchased a new 1250GS. Whenever I finish a ride I always like to put the battery on float charge. I have read in the Riders Manual page 195 Notice at the bottom of the page states the motorcycle on board electrics know when the battery is fully charged. The on board socket is switched off when fully charged. I measured using a dummy socket and the battery is 11.75 V but plugging in a oxford Optimiser 900 it shows 0 volts 0 amps . Is this a problem with the charger or at what voltage does to batter drop to require a charge. All help appreciated

Ride, park ,ride, park, ride, park,ride, park, ride, park,ride, park, ride, park,ride, park, ride, park

Do you see a pattern here ;)

if you ride it enough, you shouldn't need to go anywhere near a charger ;)

I bought cheap battery's for the hexhead, it bit me on the bum ...

Went to motobatt and never looked back

My Yuasa in my new LC went flat even though it was started an run through the lock down ...

it now has a new motobatt in it

I know nothing about the Oximiser 900. Does it claim that it is compatible with the BMW Can-Bus sockets in the same way that some of the Optimate chargers?

The BMW manual will certainly assume that one is using a BMW charger.

If the Oximiser came with battery pig-tails - fit them and cabletie the tail to the frame.

Just plug in the charger direct to the battery.

First i admit I an new to the forum and BMW motorbikes. I have just purchased a new 1250GS. Whenever I finish a ride I always like to put the battery on float charge. I have read in the Riders Manual page 195 Notice at the bottom of the page states the motorcycle on board electrics know when the battery is fully charged. The on board socket is switched off when fully charged. I measured using a dummy socket and the battery is 11.75 V but plugging in a oxford Optimiser 900 it shows 0 volts 0 amps . Is this a problem with the charger or at what voltage does to batter drop to require a charge. All help appreciated

The Oxford charger isn't a CAN-BUS charger. For that charger you'll need to connect directly to the battery. Not through the DIN socket.

If the Oximiser came with battery pig-tails - fit them and cabletie the tail to the frame.

Just plug in the charger direct to the battery.

If you carry a compressor fit it with the compatible plug for the pig tail....;) one lead, two solutions

Get a Ctek comfort charging lead, wire it perm to battery, gives traffic light indication of battery status, buy a Ctek extension lead and snip off the plug and splice it to your charger of choice.
Jobs a goodun

Get a Ctek comfort charging lead, wire it perm to battery, gives traffic light indication of battery status, buy a Ctek extension lead and snip off the plug and splice it to your charger of choice.
Jobs a goodun

I did this and fitted a plug to my airman compressor.

I have never ever put one of my bikes on charge as a routine. Ever. Only when the battery starts playing up due to age, I might end up getting the charger out.

Saying this, the longest the bike ever goes without being ridden is 3wks, occasionally. Do you leave it's for months without using it? I imagine that might be where meeting it's plugged in has a place. Otherwise I'd just leave it and err...as mentioned above, ride and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Worry? ignorance?

You know that there is a difference. :blast

Indeed,

But getting the bike out in the morning turning on the ignition and pressing the start button isn't ignorance, and could also be argued isn't worrying

Its either going to start or it isn't , either way a solution is available..

On the other hand checking the voltage and keeping it topped up , is worrying..

Now it is worrying unnecessarily? or worrying that your that concerned that the battery will fail overnight??

:moped:

We’ll agree to disagree.

There was no evidence of worry in his post just that he liked to keep a bike on a trickle charger.

I had formed the opinion that your retort was a cheap shot....

in the true tradition of UKGSer where jumping on folks who are new and have no knowledge of the conventions of piss take and patronising that goes on here.

Byee

Back
Top Bottom