KTM SA 1290S high speed wobble

shez1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My brother recently bought a 2020 1290SAS and discovered a nasty high speed wobble / head shake at around 125 / 130 mph (on private roads of course). An attempt to ride through it became dangerous. A change of tyres, tyre pressures, removal of screen, hand guards and anything else that might effect stability was tried to no avail. This was without any luggage. The dealership was not interested. A subsequent google search showed his experience as far from unique. The bike is now sold. I thought his experience worth sharing.

Could it be he has bought the wrong bike for his riding style.

Not the first complaint ive seen about that

Some seem to and others dont

On an autobahn in Scotland I followed my mate on his at that sort of speed and above and his was rock steady

Could it be he has bought the wrong bike for his riding style.

Clearly, but he was not aware of the problem when he bought it. Perhaps my post will help someone else who is likely to use the performance available?

I would suggest your brother has greater issues than worrying about the bike if he's tearing about at those type of speeds on two wheels. If anything the speed wobble is simply the bike reminding him that he's a dick.

I would suggest your brother has greater issues than worrying about the bike if he's tearing about at those type of speeds on two wheels. If anything the speed wobble is simply the bike reminding him that he's a dick.
Thanks for the constructive comment.

Has been an issue on some bikes since the first 1190, more prevalent on R models. Seems to come down to out of true wheels or bad or worn tyres, or possibly suspension adjustment.

It's called having fun :thumb2

My 1190S and 1290S were stable up to flat out with no luggage. I’m 18st, was your brother small and light? Just a thought

It’s a known issue on some bikes. I fitted a Hyperpro steering damper on my last one, which solved the issue.

It’s a known issue on some bikes. I fitted a Hyperpro steering damper on my last one, which solved the issue.
A common fix and not too expensive, or you could just sell the bike and tell everyone that Ktm's are shit that they will throw you off the bike at 130mph.............

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

My brother recently bought a 2020 1290SAS and discovered a nasty high speed wobble / head shake at around 125 / 130 mph (on private roads of course). An attempt to ride through it became dangerous. A change of tyres, tyre pressures, removal of screen, hand guards and anything else that might effect stability was tried to no avail. This was without any luggage. The dealership was not interested. A subsequent google search showed his experience as far from unique. The bike is now sold. I thought his experience worth sharing.
It might have been worth doing the "consequent Google search" before all the fannying about with tyres etc, you might have learned that a decent steering damper/suspension set up would have sorted it.......

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

My 1290 SDR never gave me any trouble ;)
v5v3eHZl.jpg

I did not buy an adventure bike to do 130MPH, I love the power (and delivery) of the KTM's for real world usability and firing out of Alpine hairpins, if i wanted to top 130mph I would buy another ZZR1400 - but I flogged that as it made silly speeds too easy and the risk to life, limb an licence outweighed the fun to be had going fast in a straight line.

I run in "Comfort" on long motorway stretches and the 1190 would start to weave a bit over a ton with two big metal pannier fully loaded - changing damping to Sport would see it stable up until 120 or more but I could not see the point going faster (and at what speed might my panniers get torn off?)

The 1290 feels firmer and more stable and easily tops a ton fully loaded even in comfort mode with a full luggage load, not sure how fast I have gone on it, I may or may not of hit 130 once or twice, really don't know (or care) but if I did get a bit of wobble at 130 I too would take it as a sign I am probably going faster than I should be unless it was on a almost empty Autobahn - and I rarely ride on them.

Back
Top Bottom