Exhaust removal

Chris R

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m struggling to remove the exhaust from my R100/7. Admittedly it been there since the 1990’s when it was put on new with copper slip.
So far I’ve had to cut the exhaust nuts off and even using WD 40, heat, lumps of wood and a big hammer the pipes remain thorough attached to the head.
Any one have any other ideas?
The blue is felt tip I put on to see if it moved!
fb09f74812e7998e9ef725279f189d76.jpg

342ce361fecd6afc54f12b749b2f5a91.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use the "U" bend on the exhaust nut removal tool. Put the U into the inner curve of the down pipe and hit the end of the tool with a big hammer.

As Steptoe said...... and heat the splines with a bow torch for a few mins before...
But don’t blame me if it all goes wrong!

Many thanks. The exhaust removal spanner I hadn’t thought of. I was using a shaped piece of wood that I just made up.
Cup of tea then I’ll apply new knowledge.

Had the same problem, heat and penetrating fluid and then heat again. Used a piece of wood to provide leverage off the frame.

Not yet. New method applied heat and big hammer using Steptoe’s method with exhaust spanner.
How hard can I hit it I’m using a lump hammer.

Leverage worked better that hitting for me. Pushing and pulling away and towards the bike. It eventually broke the seal. It was carbon build mainly on my pipe.

It’s a Keihan down pipe which could have been tight in the first instance. I was worried about breaking the ally casting on the head probably like you.. but it held...

Plenty of heat.....if you have any of that freezing spray to cool the pipe it may also help.

This is what I’m using and it is a keihan exhaust

bfb78871b79b5faf695eb4514981c18a.jpg

Giving up for the day. Thanks for all your help I’ll try again tomorrow. The neighbours deserve a rest from all the hammering.

Bit of both methods works for me,plenty of plusgas or wd,leave it overnight,pop out a few times this evening and give it another soaking,
Hopefully this will soften the carbon etc that’s jamming it ,
Tomorrow it may give a bit when you give it some waggle.
How hard you hit it depends on whether you hope to not damage the pipes:comfort

Sounds like it’s a zen problem of infinite patience. I’ll out fox it with mindfulness and then spring on it unawares tomorrow.

Are you changing the exhaust or removing the head? If the head is coming off, remove the head and split the exhaust at the balance pipe and remove the balance pipe. You can then refit the head and try twisting the pipe as well as hitting, with luck that might overcome the carbon build up.

Managed to get balance pipe apart and got some lateral movement. It’s slow but moving.
I’ll be bringing out a series to rival Ewan and Charley called “Not there yet!”

Once it's properly soaked, ideally with proper industrial penetrating fluid, or PlusGas, paraffin or diesel, rather than WD-40, try twisting the header back and forth, with the odd whack as described. :thumb

32f53f3661cf7fb394c2cf9d96b6694e.jpg

FCUK me finally. What an absolute pig!

Well done, 1 thing I have tried in the past is "Camel Piss" well known penetrate used by the 8th army 50/50 paraffin and white vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom