Fuel gauge cable joint problem

KTM-AL

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello Chaps
I am tracing why my fuel gauge is not working and have traced the fault to the yellow cable joint under the white cap on the outside of the plate. I have tested the the gauge yellow cable to the terminal inside the tank and from the multipin plug to where the cable enters the external joint.
So the question is does that external white cap come off, of is it all sealed up ? I don't want to break it if there is a knack to it .
Cheers Al
sWBekWXl.jpg

Well, the white plastic turns out to be a solid of hard moulded plastic entombing the 3 gauge cables. I did start to try and just get to the yellow cable connection but stopped before I wreaked the whole thing.
VqrNbS1.jpg

So my get around was to use the brown negative terminal.
JDRU6ktl.jpg

771YdlYl.jpg

The Brown pump and gauge cables terminate together in the plug so I connected the gauge Brown to the external surface of the main plate with an lugged lead to go under a fixing stud as internally it is grounded to the plate with a screw.
KUNBWzAl.jpg

All sealed back up with Araldite after testing.
DpF6Zqul.jpg

Just got to but it back in the tank once the glue has gone off.

I did solder and heat shrink the yellow to the brown that went in to the white lump then the brown to the new grounded black cable.
I replace the original 2001 fuel filter and used a new O ring seal, also replacing the original pipe crimps with screw type, though getting the 2 vent pipes connected and plate back in was a bit of a faf.
7JtdN5El.jpg

It only went and started working .
HT18kH5l.jpg

Thanks to whoever recommended putting the tank in an old tyre to hold it in position a while ago, it worked a treat.

I just didn't want to pay £250 for a new plate, seemed odd that the cable joint would go open circuit in a lump of solid plastic.

Back
Top Bottom