R80GS 1981

charlie batty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well finally decided to start sorting this wreck ... bit above my skill level really but I'll do my best!

Back in the day it was apparently stolen by some scroats who finding they couldn't start it decided to set it on fire ... properly burnt..melted tyres the lot.

Then languished in someones garage for a few years till i heard of it ... now after checking with BHT (looking for old photos i know i posted at the time) it appears I've had it languishing in my garage for another 18 years!!!

Absolutely everything needs sorting with a good amount of bits missing also ... i.e clutch, total electrics, rear shock etc etc ..front forks are in a terrible state but i have a few bits about which may contribute if i decide to fit them.

Pics show as it is/was ... frame now sorted with a few extra bits in an attempt to replicate the HPN machines ... long way to go and will neffo be asking for some guidance and looking for bits.

Thanks for listening!:thumb

Regards Charlie

Attachments

• forks orig_1.jpg
    forks orig_1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,762
  • crank cases.jpg
    crank cases.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 1,766
  • frame to paint.jpg
    frame to paint.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 1,763
  • painted frame.jpg
    painted frame.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,760
...ally tank in the pic is nothing to do with it..

...more pics..

Wheels now split...rims to polishers and hubs being vapour blasted ready for rebuild..

Attachments

• front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 1,733
  • rear wheel.jpg
    rear wheel.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 1,748
  • carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 1,737
  • wheel hubs.jpg
    wheel hubs.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 1,753
Give me a shout if you need parts. I’ve G/S parts I doubt I’ll ever reuse ( famous last words) and I could be tempted to sell this kit, complete. I’m near you.

Attachments

• 6BD85A33-46E0-4BDE-A75E-75C34BC383E1.jpg
    6BD85A33-46E0-4BDE-A75E-75C34BC383E1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 1,750
I love a good re build thread. Good luck with it Charlie and keep the pics coming :beerjug:

Got the strengthened sub-frame back from my nephew and just plonked it on to see if my odd tank and seat fits....not far off actually...couple of bits clash

The seat is off an R65 i think and i can't even remember when i bought the tank ... think it was a brief spell of enthusiasm i had when i got the wreck about 16 years ago ...:D

Attachments

• rear subframe.jpg
    rear subframe.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 1,549
  • seattank.jpg
    seattank.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 1,558
Looking to get a new rear shock ... basically because I never got one with the 'bits' ..:blast ...

Not lookin to pay 6/7/800 sovs ... something in the 300ish line sir? ... any advice please/comments .. Hagon? and what are the centres on the R80 g/s 1980/81 model?

...thanks in advance:thumb2

Looking to get a new rear shock ... basically because I never got one with the 'bits' ..:blast ...

Not lookin to pay 6/7/800 sovs ... something in the 300ish line sir? ... any advice please/comments .. Hagon? and what are the centres on the R80 g/s 1980/81 model?

I can’t remember the dimensions but in your price range I’ve used YSS. They make a shock specific to the G/S and I’m happy with quality and performance.

Bike was registered febuary 1981 but engine/frame number (6250760) give manufacture as november 1980 ... this appears to be a changeover period ... I've been referencing it as an '81 monolever for bits ,,, is this correct?

Looked on Shock factory .. right money at £350 ... lists as 1981 - 1988 am i looking at the right one?

Back
Top Bottom