2017 R1200GSA Rear Caliper Bolts

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are they stretch bolts to be replaced each pad change? (i never did on my old bike) asking for a friend....

The repair instructions say replace, they are encapsulated with thread lock which is why i think they say replace,the torque setting won't stretch them imo, clean of old loctite and use a medium strength replacement and all will be well i reckon

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

I was of the same opinion in that as they're low torque and I could re-apply thread lock that all would be ok. Then you read about calipers becoming loose and causing wheel collapse, on top of that liquid thread lock does increase the relative clamping of the caliper to carrier and possible pull on the threads. Whether that's enough to cause issues I doubt, but for a few extra quid I now fit new screws.

Early LC's didn't have locking screws.

They will be fine.. clean off the old stuff, put on the new stuff and re-torque :)

It’d be wise to mark their position so you can easily see if they ever do move.

It’d be wise to mark their position so you can easily see if they ever do move.

Totally unnecessary if you are using Loctite. Modern glues are stronger than a lot of other traditional methods of joining / securing parts together. They stick cars and aeroplanes together now!
If done right it won’t move until you want it too.

Agreed, but I’m sure BMW thought that they would never move too.

No harm in belt n braces.

Pentel marking pen

But what we don't know, is if they had been messed around with before they came off and bolts fitted back without loctite

I have tried all sorts of pen's to mark wheel nuts etc but they all come off after a few washes. Its hard to find something that will stay on there....

But what we don't know, is if they had been messed around with before they came off and bolts fitted back without loctite

I have tried all sorts of pen's to mark wheel nuts etc but they all come off after a few washes. Its hard to find something that will stay on there....

Normal Halfords white touch up paint pen works fine if applied to cleane surface. If a fine line is applied across the two parts, it will easily scape off, leaving no trace.

Odd, innit, that the handbook instructions for removal and refitting of the front wheel, which involves removal and replacement of the calipers, makes no mention whatsoever of threadlock.

Odd, innit, that the handbook instructions for removal and refitting of the front wheel, which involves removal and replacement of the calipers, makes no mention whatsoever of threadlock.

Could it be that they're M10 (from memory) and torqued to pretty much double the M8's used on the back?

Back
Top Bottom