Recommended tyres for 'adventure' riding

Hi Lee,

I preferred the TKC80s to the Anakee Wilds after I had a couple of not fun slithers and drops on the wilds on a wet trail and through some slippery yet somehow sticky mud. However, in more competent hands - or even slightly competent hands - they are probably fine.

However I used the following tyre sizes that might open other options for you:
F (19" x 2.50 wheel): 110/80 R19 M/C 59V TL M+S
R (17" x 3.50 wheel): 140/80 R17 M/C 69V TL M+S

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's the TKC70 sizes that are currently on mine.

For more tyre and general info, if you've not read Jenny Morgan's ride report on her G310GS experience then have a search on Tinter'web. I think the original was on ADVRider (If I'm allowed to mention other forums are available out there)

https://advrider.com/f/threads/beemer-beemer-chicken-deener.1294883/

There's a sanitised version here too:
https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/h...Q-OzVgFjxdbCv12mOO3I9QfxMKHf8FiyOFbwuSNEuGEBA

Have fun.

Thanks Stephen. I now realise that the TKC80s can be used on tubed (with inner tubes) or tubeless rims - Rally Raid Products sell them for use on their tubed spoked rims, which is what I have. I've also been told that it would be okay to use tubeless Mitas tyres with heavy duty inner tubes on my rims. I really like the Mitas E-09 rear as I've had it on numerous bikes before and it's good both on road and off. The Mitas C-19 front I normally pair it with isn't available in 19in though, so I'd need to decide what to use instead - maybe the E-09 front and rear. They're quite a lot cheaper than the TKC80s too.:thumb

You won't find much grip with E09s in UK off road conditions or on a road, especially the front, E12 is slightly better as it's a softer compound.

You won't find much grip with E09s in UK off road conditions or on a road, especially the front, E12 is slightly better as it's a softer compound.

What do you recommend then Tim?

Best thing Lee would be to come up with a list of potential front and rears in your wheel diameters as they're not the sizes I use. Otherwise I would need
to check each tyre I'd would use to see if it's made in either 19" or 17" :)

Best thing Lee would be to come up with a list of potential front and rears in your wheel diameters as they're not the sizes I use. Otherwise I would need
to check each tyre I'd would use to see if it's made in either 19" or 17" :)

Okay Tim, here we go...

REAR TYRES – RIM SIZE 17 X 3.5IN
1. Continental TKC80 (40:60 on/off road)
2. Michelin Anakee Wild (50:50 on/off road)
3. Motoz Tractionator Adventure
4. Mitas E09 (20:80 on/off road)
5. Mitas C02
6. Mitas E07 and E07+ (50:50 on/off road)
7.Mitas E10 Adventure (30:70 on/off road)
8. Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara
9. Metzeler Karoo 3
10. Pirelli MT-21 (I think)

FRONT TYRES – RIM SIZE 19 X 2.5IN
1. Continental TKC80 (40:60 on/off road)
2. Michelin Anakee Wild (50:50 on/off road)
3. Motoz Tractionator Adventure
4. Mitas E09 (20:80 on/off road)
5. Mitas E07 and E07+ (50:50 on/off road)
6. Mitas E10 Adventure (30:70 on/off road)
7. Metzeler Karoo 3

I'm sure there are others.
I want tyres that will be okay on the road (Cornish lanes mostly, no big motorway runs) and UK trails, plus the kind of riding/camping trip I did in Iceland with you a few years back. When I did that trip, I had Mitas tyres on my KTM 640 Adv (either C02 rear and C19 front or E09 rear and C19 front - I forget!), but I used the same tyres for trail riding in Wales, road riding between Surrey and Wales and the Iceland trip.

EDIT - Just looked at some pics of my KTM 640 Adv in Iceland and I had Mitas E09 rear and Pirelli MT-21 front.

I have used both TKC 80s and MT21s

The TKCs last longer but the MT21s grip better (imo) off road.

Both are perfectly good on road, barring the usual.

I find the e09 good on the rear its the front tyre you struggle with . bridgestone ax41 m/s are my next choice.

John Mitchinson at Rally Raid Products has recommended the Anlas Capra X both front and rear for the 310GS - he's on his 3rd set and really likes them. They're a 50:50 on/off road tyre. Never heard of them before, but RR are going to start selling them on their website as they prefer them to the TKC80, especially in the wet.

Back
Top Bottom