Obviously better than the Nav 6 ?

Onahi

The Equalizer
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Keep looking at this unit. However, I expect a "Sticky" or a dedicated thread about the facts and run down on just how to fit to the GS. Ok, I've read it wont work with the selection wheel. But the cradle fitting, The power supply. What's the score? Is it easy ? What exactly do I need to fit it ?
Maybe there'll be a Nav 7, A dressed up XT ? Or maybe an XT in a Nav IV, V & VI body ?
I have read the threads, Unless I've missed it ?
TIA :thumb

Fitting a navigation device (in this case an XT) to your GS is the same as fitting any other gps device to any other bike.

You need:

A. A cradle. You chose whether you want it locking (for the added mental comfort that brings) or the generic one that comes in the box.

B. Some method of affixing the cradle to the bike, preferably in a position that you can both reach and see the device.

C. A power supply, to power the device. It probably comes with a suitable lead in the box.

There are lots of threads on each topic, along with pictures.

That’s it, nothing much to it and nothing you can’t manage.

Create a thread on what you decide to do, take some pictures and write a few words. Sticky heaven awaits.....

PS If you are undecided between an XT and a Navigator VI, there is a sub-section, entitled: ‘Which GPS should I spunk my hard earned on?’, or something like that.

PPS According to posts on UKGSer, BMW are not continuing the Navigator range, beyond VI. Instead they are going down the phone linked to the TFT (or whatever it’s called) screen. There’s an entire thread on it somewhere. Join in.

If you don’t mind what you have, it’s a no brainer, the one that fits your bike out of the box and works with the wheel thing it’s a BMW Nav, next determine your budget, secondhand V if it’s limited, brand new VI I& if it isn’t.

Otherwise start again and get the one you fancy.

I've Had Navs on my Bikes for 20 years, And that includes fitting them. The Nav series, including the Nav 6 are rubbish. The XT is better, in many ways. I currently have a Nav 6.
My question was "is the XT an easy swap for the Nav 6" ? Referring to Cables , mounts, plugs etc. And asking for advice from anyone who has done this ? I didnt ask " How do you fit a sat nav"

Generally, everything you need to make the XT work on your bike comes in the box. I have a Zumo 390, so far used on 4 different bikes. Simply attached to the bars using either a RAM 1" ball U bolt clamp or, as on my R1200RS, a RAM 1" ball part that came in the box that replaces half of the clutch lever clamp. For a left handed person like me, this is an ideal location for a satnav as I can easily prod the screen as needed and the Zumo is in an easily seen place, midway between the frontal view and a glance in the mirror.

I have fitted a 12V male plug to the end of the supplied lead. This plugs into the extra socket I have fitted to my bike as the OE socket is not in the cockpit. I have a similar arrangement on my S1000XR and I can simply swap the Zumo from bike to bike as it is only the RAM ball that stays on each bike.

I do not expect fitting the XT would be any more complex to fit to my bikes.

There’s been threads on here about some software or a box that’ll allow you to use a third party nav with the wheel on the handlebars on your bike. I can’t remember the name of it, but it’s definitely doable. :thumb

There’s been threads on here about some software or a box that’ll allow you to use a third party nav with the wheel on the handlebars on your bike. I can’t remember the name of it, but it’s definitely doable. :thumb

https://blackboxembedded.com

It’s a great concept, not quite there for me yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom