Could you adapt a Sportster to make a decent tourer?

In the never ending search for another bike I've been looking at old airheads but good ones are either too rare or too old or too expensive. HD comes into the radar occasionally, Road King being the normal thing I fancy but they are both heavy and expensive. I'd rather spend less, have newer and less weight.

So that got me wondering, if you took a 1200 Sportster could you make a half decent touring machine? I don't need the biggest and best of everything, character counts for a lot as does a relaxing ride. So a screen, better suspension, new seat, bigger tank - waste of time or possibly something decent? If you started with, for example, a £6k machine the total might not be too high. Or a bit more if the 2018 version is worth it. Might even get it looking like a wee RK :thumb2

Thoughts?

What about a triumph speedmaster the older one or the america version.. ?

So that got me wondering, if you took a 1200 Sportster could you make a half decent touring machine? I don't need the biggest and best of everything, character counts for a lot as does a relaxing ride. So a screen, better suspension, new seat, bigger tank - waste of time or possibly something decent?

Thoughts?

What a great question. Really enjoying this, please keep the wisdom coming.:thumb2

883 in Oman with a sissy bar to take my laptop bag, held firm by an old belt.
My regular commuter but did a few longer trips on it too.

Attachments

• 97713ECC-1368-4E2F-B9E4-B62500EA06A0.jpg
    97713ECC-1368-4E2F-B9E4-B62500EA06A0.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 206
Looking at bikes for sale the prices are surprising, you see a 2 year old for 7 grand (ish) yet a 2004 for over 6

Very little depreciation, in the absence of no obvious reasons. Do they hold their value that well?

Lots of good input, all appreciated

Looking at bikes for sale the prices are surprising, you see a 2 year old for 7 grand (ish) yet a 2004 for over 6

Very little depreciation, in the absence of no obvious reasons. Do they hold their value that well?

Harleys always hold their value.....

I paid about £2500 for a scrap rusty heap of shit 2004 883xl 14K miles with a peanut tank on.
Bored it out to 1250, put the xlc bigger tank on, changed the cams.
Put a wide glide set of yokes on, dropped in a 16" back wheel machined to fit the front with a proper race tyre ( same size as an early fireblade )
jacked the rear up by 2 1/4" with long progressive shocks
Forward controls, messed about with handlebars until i got comfy and will probably put the mid controls back on coz i prefer the extra ground clearance.

It's a sleeper, still looks like a rusty heap of shit and i can leave the keys in it all day long.

Andres.

I paid about £2500 for a scrap rusty heap of shit 2004 883xl 14K miles with a peanut tank on.
Put a wide glide set of yokes on, dropped in a 16" back wheel machined to fit the front with a proper race tyre ( same size as an early fireblade )
Forward controls, messed about with handlebars until i got comfy and will probably put the mid controls back on coz i prefer the extra ground clearance.

It's a sleeper, still looks like a rusty heap of shit and i can leave the keys in it all day long.

Andres.

Sounds like it's got attitude :thumb2

Bring it up to Portsoy next September, wake up the town

In answer to the original question - yes, there is a 1200cc tourer version....

Buell Ulysses XT.

Bit more power too, factory panniers and top box.

Post 2008 with black engine is best.

HTH!

A

In answer to the original question - yes, there is a 1200cc tourer version....

Buell Ulysses XT.

Bit more power too, factory panniers and top box.

Post 2008 with black engine is best.

HTH!

A

+1 for the Ulysses my 3rd they are a great tourer great 2 up with luggage and soon to be for sale.

Attachments

• D279C55A-FBB8-4597-8B86-A587443974C3.jpg
    D279C55A-FBB8-4597-8B86-A587443974C3.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 33DB699B-7653-47B7-88C7-EF65E2F30B95.jpg
    33DB699B-7653-47B7-88C7-EF65E2F30B95.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 130

Andres.
Ooft sounds nice...any pics of said beast ? I do like ratty/scruffy bikes :D

Looking at the current (2016 on) Sportster it looks like the Roadster has better brakes and suspension. But needs the bars from the Ultra low to get a decent riding position, not sure if the pegs would need to move. Wee screen, decent seat, pannier rails to support soft panniers, maybe a bigger tank. Or buy an older one (not much saving if it's clean) and tart it up.

So it would need a test ride of a couple of different bikes and a dose of imagination. See what the spring brings but I'll keep meandering about online.

Back
Top Bottom