Help me choose.. Part 1 (no BREXIT/COVID/Vegan/Geri Halliwell content)

I'm not particularly keen on getting another Jap bike.

Been riding boxers since 1975 all over Southern Africa so I have a particular affinity for them.

There you go then! Start a collection! May I suggest that sir considers a nice Paris Dakar?

Easy anwser. Do you like to work on the bike yourself or are you exclusively a bike shop/main dealer type person?

If Dealer then get the newist bike you can affored.
DIY then an 1100 or 1150, and steer clear of anything with fecking canbus !!!!!!!, steer clear of anything where the rear diff needs NASA apparetnly to rebuild it, as opposed to a camping stove and freezer

Easy anwser. Do you like to work on the bike yourself or are you exclusively a bike shop/main dealer type person?

If Dealer then get the newist bike you can affored.
DIY then an 1100 or 1150, and steer clear of anything with fecking canbus !!!!!!!, steer clear of anything where the rear diff needs NASA apparetnly to rebuild it, as opposed to a camping stove and freezer

I've done a fair bit of spannering so tearing down motors hold no fear, unless I need a factory-only puller LOL.

So the canbus thingy, where can I get a breakdown of what models have this dodgy electrickery stuff. Is there a model spec by year link anywhere. 1150's have attracted my attention. Do they have ABS (which works!)

1100/1150 no can bus, 1200 on every model can bus, to be fair I am very biased, I hate can bus electrics and wont entertain any bike with so I have R1100GS, KTM990 adv, Ktm 640 Adv oh and an old laverda, thats as new as I will go

1100/1150 no can bus, 1200 on every model can bus, to be fair I am very biased, I hate can bus electrics and wont entertain any bike with so I have R1100GS, KTM990 adv, Ktm 640 Adv oh and an old laverda, thats as new as I will go

Can bus or multiplex came in with the 2004 1200.
It’s been used on vehicles for twenty years ish.
The problem with it does not lie generally with the wiring ,more so that any major Ecu changes etc need the use of dealer level diagnostic kit to program the units to talk to one another,like an electronic handshake.
So you can’t just fit a new or second hand abs unit,engine management unit,instrument panel etc and expect it to work.

Can bus or multiplex came in with the 2004 1200.
It’s been used on vehicles for twenty years ish.
The problem with it does not lie generally with the wiring ,more so that any major Ecu changes etc need the use of dealer level diagnostic kit to program the units to talk to one another,like an electronic handshake.
So you can’t just fit a new or second hand abs unit,engine management unit,instrument panel etc and expect it to work.

Oh 100% it is not the technology in and of itself, it is the implementation by Triumph, Harley, BMW, KTM a they charge a fucking fortune for a computer component in the ECU that contains about £30 worth of components, and the whole systems are set up tight as a drum so you HAVE to go to main dealers who charge again a fecking fortune to do the square root of fuck all. Yeh probably do have issues over main dealers, but nothing a small thermonuclear device couldn't sort out

Been lurking for awhile and now have corralled the funds for one of these GSey things...

Not planning on touring just two-up bimbles through the countryside, so...

1) Oil or LC
2) Are the twincam's all LC?

Cheers (for now!)

I know we're in a lockdown, but why don't you talk to your nice, local BMW dealer (Chandlers) and take a couple of no-obligation test rides. Surely more effective than a couple of armchair test rides from the inmates here. You have a wonderful full-on touring machine in the GW and you don't need a 1200GS for a bimble. So why don't you look at the 750/850GS (they're not awaful just because they're not boxers) as well.
The problem with a 1200GS is that the magic carpet ride from the long-travel suspension will question your requirement for the GW.

I know we're in a lockdown, but why don't you talk to your nice, local BMW dealer (Chandlers) and take a couple of no-obligation test rides. Surely more effective than a couple of armchair test rides from the inmates here. You have a wonderful full-on touring machine in the GW and you don't need a 1200GS for a bimble. So why don't you look at the 750/850GS (they're not awaful just because they're not boxers) as well.
The problem with a 1200GS is that the magic carpet ride from the long-travel suspension will question your requirement for the GW.

Thanks for that. Been out on a 1200 and 1250 and was impressed, although I can't see me ever using/needing the performance of either. The GW is mainly for my wife, who finds it comfortable for 500+ mph blasts down to coast in France.

I am beginning to focus on a 1150 mainly for a winter hack-about. I have been saved by ABS and I am very reluctant to buy a bike without it, but I am frightened by the ABS issues...

I am frightened by the ABS issues...

My main bike is a 2007 Adv. Non servo ABS.
It needed way more maintenance over the same 100.000km span that my previous R1150R, but electrics/can-bus (apart from changing a few batteries) hasn't been an issue.

Food for your thought.

Earlier 1150's had the non-servo abs, look at the front wheel, if a pressed tin abs ring it tends to be a servo, if a cast abs ring it'll be non servo. The non servo abs tends to be reliable (as is the 1150 generally) and when called for will get you out of trouble. For what it's worth I bought my R1150GS new nearly 20 years ago and it has never let me down, albeit it has only done just over 50k miles.Cheers:beerjug:John B

Earlier 1150's had the non-servo abs, look at the front wheel, if a pressed tin abs ring it tends to be a servo, if a cast abs ring it'll be non servo. The non servo abs tends to be reliable (as is the 1150 generally) and when called for will get you out of trouble. For what it's worth I bought my R1150GS new nearly 20 years ago and it has never let me down, albeit it has only done just over 50k miles.Cheers:beerjug:John B

I think Vern's R1100GS is nearly 200,000 miles and pretty sure thats not let him down either :)

The GW is mainly for my wife, who finds it comfortable for 500+ mph blasts down to coast in France.

That speed gives a whole new meaning to the Wing in Gold Wing ........

If you fancy something shaft-drive with character there are a few low mileage Moto Guzzi Stelvio's around.

That speed gives a whole new meaning to the Wing in Gold Wing ........

If you fancy something shaft-drive with character there are a few low mileage Moto Guzzi Stelvio's around.

he's anxious about the 1150 reliability...

Back
Top Bottom