Lockdown messing around

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I got to thinking, "If I could infill the pannier brackets, would it look OK and provide some additional road muck protection.

Hmmm. So I went into the garage and this is what happened...

I hate the P-clips. Ugly. I thought about taking the rails off and welding on some tabs with captive nuts to take the screws. I don't have panniers, but would the tabs prevent them from fitting if I decided I wanted them later?

Anyway, thoughts greatly appreciated. I'm not a sensitive soul so brutal comments are acceptable
60d350e7b45acb33d80d12f90bf8d0a4.jpg
57daf4d99441517f5745927218513b74.jpg
3f71e0501e2ecb6bd660b536c9116477.jpg
32e32c345f70ef92040b6d8a6380524c.jpg
b609e3f8bf7ff68a09f01444387eed59.jpg
f0362a216f987bd03fa305856b5c0123.jpg
e05f0831e1bfe8957378c29022d82ed6.jpg

Erm, you don't really notice the small metal pipework...but certainly do notice the extra half kilo of unnecessary metal (masquerading as carbon)
So it's a 'No, Looks awful' from me.

Erm, you don't really notice the small metal pipework...but certainly do notice the extra half kilo of unnecessary metal (masquerading as carbon)
So it's a 'No, Looks awful' from me.
Fortunately, it's aluminium
But I'm edging towards the "looks awful" judgement myself. That's why I've only made one side

Paint the non rubber parts of the p clips and blue/silver fasteners black or replace the stainless P clips with black nylon P clips the type used on conduits

Paint the non rubber parts of the p clips and blue/silver fasteners black or replace the stainless P clips with black nylon P clips the type used on cunduits
Hmmm. Good thinking. Thanks

Update: black nylon p-clips, black M6 screws and washers ordered. It'll be interesting to see what they do to improve the appearance

The black nylon p clips are fine for non load bearing applications on bikes

The black nylon p clips are fine for non load bearing applications on bikes
Thanks for the suggestion. It'll be a while until I fit them as delivery isn't due until 26th. But the bike's not going anywhere at the moment

So road mucj protection for a bike that's not going out right now? You Sir, seem to have cabin fever!
Haha. But I will, at some point, ride in wet weather. And, as I live in the countryside, the very considerate farmers hereabouts often spread mud and debris on the roads with gay abandon. As I'm sure you know, these bikes liberally cover the rider in crap if s/he has not taken precautions

Have you seen how wide the panniers are?
When I found out how ridiculously stupid they looked from behind. I removed my rails.

One less thing to clean.

Have you seen how wide the panniers are?
When I found out how ridiculously stupid they looked from behind. I removed my rails.

One less thing to clean.

I agree. Not good. I'm not sure if the Shad panniers stick out any further, but at least they're a lot cheaper! I don't think I'll be buying either.

I had a pair of Shad panniers , made to a budget but are great, had them 3 years without issue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was trying to find a picture , they were 36 litre as I recall much smaller than stock BM panniers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn’t manage to download, thanks, I’m my opinion best value for money , like Nick M putting me onto Heed Crashbars, best value

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom