Honda CRF 300L & 300 Rally

So the new CRF300 Rally is out...and suddenly lots are for resale with sub 100 miles on them. Anyone here tried one and been disappointed?

I think a lot of people are used to bigger bikes and underwhelmed by 300cc
You have to readjust and take 300cc for what it is

Playing Devil’s advocate
My research , so slightly figures different from some in this thread ;

Honda crf 250L
Kerb weight 146Kg
HP 24.4hp
Torque 22.6Nm

Honda crf 300L £5,149
Kerb weight 142kg (Honda website checked today )
HP 26.9hp (Honda say 20.1kW/8500rpm)
Torque 26.6Nm

The 300 is getting good reviews BUT
now look at my aged, 2007 DRZ 400;
Kerb weight 144kg WET
Dry weight 132Kg
Hp 32hp
But 36 ish dyno’d
Torque 32.5Nm

My trf , riding Uber light 2 strokes, take the piss about the heavy DRZ , but it’s stats are comparable/ better.

It makes me question what is really so good about this new crf300

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honda CRF 300L & 300 Rally

Playing Devil’s advocate
My research , so slightly figures different from some in this thread ;

Honda crf 250L
Kerb weight 146Kg
HP 24.4hp
Torque 22.6Nm

Honda crf 300L £5,149
Kerb weight 142kg (Honda website checked today )
HP 26.9hp (Honda say 20.1kW/8500rpm)
Torque 26.6Nm

The 300 is getting good reviews BUT
now look at my aged, 2007 DRZ 400;
Kerb weight 144kg WET
Dry weight 132Kg
Hp 32hp
But 36 ish dyno’d
Torque 32.5Nm

My trf , riding Uber light 2 strokes, take the piss about the heavy DRZ , but it’s stats are comparable/ better.

It makes me question what is really so good about this new crf300

The lower 300L kerb weight is a bit of a red herring, some of the 4kg weight drop v the 250L is made up from the 300L having a smaller fuel tank from the 250L

Smoke & mirrors, my friends .....from Honda

I guess if you put just 5l in each fuel tank, then the 300L & 250L would weigh virtually the same on a weighbridge

The lower 300L kerb weight is a bit of a red herring, some of the 4kg weight drop v the 250L is made up from the 300L having a smaller fuel tank from the 250L

Smoke & mirrors, my friends .....from Honda

I guess if you put just 5l in each fuel tank, then the 300L & 250L would weigh virtually the same on a weighbridge

Still weigh a ton more than a ttr 250 and when unplugged around the same power

113kg dry for the ttr, your 400 doesn't have electric start or battery so of course it shouldn't be too heavy:D

This could well be simply a projection of my own experience or it might be a reason why there seem to be a good number of low mileage and relatively new crf250 and 300s on the market - that the reality doesn’t match up to the imagining.

Whilst aware that I was buying a cheap dual sports rather than a ‘competition’ bike at twice the price and with scary looking service requirements, I had visions of finding some green lanes near me and having a bit of fun. The test ride was always going to be a bit of pointless exercise, arriving on a plush, stable 1250 and pottering off on ‘light’ little 250. But it was end of model cheapish, so I bought one.

When you later take it on its maiden voyage, sure, the low power seems a bit comical – and I doubt that 10% HP and 18% torque is going to make an awful lot of difference at the rev range you tend to use these bikes – but it’s not that which makes you immediately feel buyer’s remorse. It’s the suspension. You realise that even if you aren’t a totally fat fecker (I’m a mildly overweight one) the rear shock has all compression and rebound characteristics of a pot of yogurt, meaning that the front wheel feels like it’s not even on the ground, less providing any feedback. Even turning into a road at 15 mph requires mustering up all your nerve and composure.

Then you get to the weight. Just because it’s looks like an enduro and weighs 100kg less than a GS does not mean that it isn’t an absolute pig to lift up when, unlike the GS, the bike is a parallel to the ground. I had to flag down a couple of young lads to help get the bike stood up, and there were 3 of us slip sliding away trying to stand the bike up on a narrow grassy trail. (I've since invest in a motowinch, just in case).

So what to do, well first get the suspension sorted. Putting on a decent rear shock, front spring and valves is the best investment ever for this type of bike, and you’d be wise even to buy a used 250 and use the rest of your budget to do so, rather than spend it all on a non-modified 300.

Secondly, adjust your mindset. Once you get the bikes handling sorted, whizzing round back roads and B roads at 50-60 can be as fun sometimes as rolling on the torque out of a corner on a big capacity bike. It’s a chuckle.

Thirdly, accept the fact that unless you have a green lane buddy, it’s a bike more adapted to those crappy little country tracks and B roads than it is navigating grassy ruts.

Whenever I just want to clear my head and get out for a hour on the bike, it’s invariably the little 250 I turn to rather than the GS. (I am fortunate in having those crappy little country roads right on my doorstep).

It is what it is a, cheap blaat bike for crappy country lanes. Unfortunately, there are very few alternatives out there other than the Suzy or perhaps a WR250R grey import, or else paying twice the price and either undertaking the service intervals that appears to be required of 'competition' bikes or taking on the chance that for everyday use these service intervals aren't really relevant.

I concur yofi. I have a 2020 Yamaha XT250 which is air cooled, 5-speed, 290# wet with maybe 20hp, and it's a fun little bike for back roads and trails. Like most Japanese trail bikes its shortcoming is the suspension, riding it on a rocky road was so harsh I felt like I was on a jackhammer. Cogent fork springs and cartridges, and a proper rear shock have transformed the little bike. What I can't understand is why can't the Japanese manufacturers offer a good suspension version along side the base model like KTM does? I ended up spending $1,100 to fix the suspension. At the manufacturing level I doubt it'd cost them over $300-$400 more then they could offer an "R" version.

As far as power for bikes like this my experience has been 350-400cc to be the sweet spot especially if you ride on a highway with hills or carry much gear. Back in the 1990's Suzuki offered both a DR350 and DR250, which were essentially the same bike but the 350's extra 4 HP and 7 Ft Lb of torque, all at lower rpm, made the bike much more enjoyable to ride. Suzuki ended up dropping the DR250 and eventually the air cooled, WR 6-speed 350 was superseded by the water cooled, CR 5-speed, 320# DR400 which is still offered unchanged with carburetor and 5-speed. If Suzuki freshened up this bike with FI and a taller 6th gear it'd be about the perfect single cylinder dual sport.

If Suzuki freshened up this bike with FI and a taller 6th gear it'd be about the perfect single cylinder dual sport.

As I understand it, Suzuki cannot alter the bike or it would need to pass later US emission regs it sidesteps as it's legality is "grandfathered in" at the moment as long as it is unchanged. Same with KLRs.

I wondered as much and took it upon myself to contact our EPA and actually got to someone. Here's their reply to my question regarding Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR250L, dated yet still being sold motorcycles just like the DR400.

EPA received your inquiry concerning the certification of two specific models of motorcycle referenced below. The models you have mentioned do in fact comply with current US emission standards for Class III motorcycles. The standards for motorcycles can be found at 40 CFR Part 86 Subpart E. These standards were promulgated originally in 1978 and revised in 1990 and 2006. The stringency of these standards do not reflect the emission control technology available in 2021, where many motorcycles certified in the US would essentially comply with European “Euro 5” standards. The bikes you referenced comply with the current emission standards, but the margin by which they comply is much more narrow than what “state-of-the art” emission control technology affords.
EPA’s regulatory strategy does not “grandfather” old technology. When a new regulation is implemented, the rulemaking process allows for public comment and requires a technical analysis of the cost of regulation vs. health and environmental benefits. Advance notice is provided to the public and industry when new standards are established. Sometimes new standards are phased in to allow a transition in the market, and many regulations have the Averaging, Banking and Trading provisions to which you alluded. However as already explained, averaging is not how these motorcycles comply with the standards.
I hope this was helpful in answering your inquiry. Please feel free to follow up with me if you have further questions.
Regards,
Mike Delduca
Gasoline Engine Compliance Center

And another one ; this time only 16 bhp I just don’t get it with such weight of 145kg wet .
What’s wrong with my DRZ400, other than being old ?
96f267f69b74eb7992d2642d28cd7a75.jpg

Anyone on here bought the 300 Rally?

Yep I Have one

Yep I have one. Done about 1500 miles on it. I’ve upgraded the suspension front and rear, plus a few other bits. I like it, performs off road, and will hold 70 - 75mph on road.

Attachments

• 09E94B06-5C42-4068-9C3F-635CB23084FE.jpg
    09E94B06-5C42-4068-9C3F-635CB23084FE.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 442
Yep I have one. Done about 1500 miles on it. I’ve upgraded the suspension front and rear, plus a few other bits. I like it, performs off road, and will hold 70 - 75mph on road.

What sort of cost was involved in upgrading the suspension? I’m considering one and it’s something I’ll need to build into my budget.

What sort of cost was involved in upgrading the suspension? I’m considering one and it’s something I’ll need to build into my budget.

From what I read it depends on what work you do. New shock or rework. Fork internals or replacement inserts.

I've almost decided to pull the plug on one. Blame Itchy McBoots. I know I'll want to dial pre-load and rebound front and back to suit my own preferences. It's annoying to have to pay out to do that but as one guy says, the bike is pretty reasonable ££ so you'd be getting what you want/need suspension wise for a respectable price. New KTM 500 that I looked at is over £10k...frankly ridiculous.

The Rally looks a bit Honda in the flesh. Bit plastic plastic. But it'd have a Honda engine, long service intervals compared to a KTM and it'd be great to pull 70mph + to get me to trails. I'm not completely bored with local trails but it would be great to go further afield to new ones. It wouldn't faze me on one of these. The 790R (which is incredible) either needs a mate just in case or trails that aren't too technical for me. So it sits at work getting little use in favour of the Freeride - which is brilliant fun locally but isn't fun to go distance on.

Not too much then to get it well suspended.

Perhaps, but I'll want to play with rebound/compression on the bike to help out the dodgy elbow. Looking for.options.

I've just ordered a 300l to replace my aged (and tiny) Serow...

I shall spend the time between now & May buying all the upgrades, ready to stark farkling as soon as I get it.

D

Back
Top Bottom