Honda CRF 300L & 300 Rally

Honda CRF 300L & 300 Rally

Check out these guys, very good prices and super quick shipping.

https://bikerzbits.com/honda/crf250/

https://bikerzbits.com/honda/crf250/crf300l-rally/

Be interested in what bits you think are worth getting.

I've pre-ordered some Outback Motortek crash bars. Stock has been an issue and a few came in so took a punt on some. Arrived this morning.

What I do think is essential are some engine covers. I think they do some but bikerbits say they don't fit the UK model for some reason. Odd.

I'm sorting through suspension and will chat with MH racing, see what he thinks.

People seem to get rid of the cheap quality bars.

Lower crash bars and decent bash plate seem an idea. That bottom end looks major plastic from stock. Rad guards should go on theist of course.

Motorcycle news are running one as their long term bikes. They have done a few features on mods.Check on line for their past updates.

Motorcycle news are running one as their long term bikes. They have done a few features on mods.Check on line for their past updates.

Yes, I saw their end of term review on it. To be honest it made my mind up.

I had arranged to buy one of 2 in stock local to me last Tuesday....'put one aside for me and we'll chat Saturday afternoon'. Lovely guy, but he didn't and yesterday I went over and his colleague had sold both of them. Bit annoyed to be frank. So I did a hunt and there really aren't any about within 100 miles, only new orders, but managed to bag one that a guy had changed from the Rally to the L instead (apparently :). So deposit on and delivery March. No test ride of course so hopefully it'll work for me.

I can't find anywhere that sells genuine Honda accessories for the Rally. Maybe I'm missing something. Certainly when you look at how KTM run their operation Honda are massively missing a trick. Very odd.

Great bikes.

Had a 19 plate 250 rally and liked it especially for the road and less technical trails/forest tracks but found it a little top heavy for the more difficult stuff, probably down to my lack of both experience/expertise! Changed to the 300l and love the extra low down torque and the little extra oomph it has. It is much more agile at approx 14 kg lighter. The bike has the following upgrades,

YSS - rear shock
YSS - front fork spring upgrade
Renthal 22mm bars with cross brace
Oxford grips - premium touring
Bark buster VPS hand guards
Adtek bash plate
MotoX titanium end can and stainless header (approx 3kg less than std)
Tail tidy
Michelin Tracker tyres

All the mods have made a very good bike all the more capable. Even with a smaller tank than the rally you should still get 120+ mpg depending how you ride.

And here is what it looks like after a little run out over sone NYM trails.

9b738d77c6bfe86744c81fe0824713a8.jpg

I am not knocking the bike I think they are great machines however, back in the day I had a CB250 RS, single cylinder twin exhaust port, it was lighter despite being steel frame and twin shock, about the same fuel capacity, about the same bhp, would sit at 70-75 all day and did 90 ish although a few mods and it did do over a ton (just)

You have to wonder what improvements have we made in the last 40 years or so? you would have thought, lighter, faster, more fuel efficient? I don't know something

For info, I've got the following on the way or here:

Outback Motortek: Upper crash bars

https://outbackmotortek.net/product/honda-crf-300rally-crash-bars/

These should stop most of the damage I'm likely to inflict.

Bikerbitz: Bashplate & Rear rack

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-crf300lr-rally-heavy-duty-skid-bash-plate-233990.html

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-crf300l-and-rally-aluminium-rear-rack.html

These were ordered at about 9pm last night on a 3 day DHL and there's an email this morning saying they've shipped! Total cost for both, via Paypal (inc their currency charge) and £32 shipping = £137. Pretty good.
I went for this rear rack as it's flat rather than ribbed so easier to mount a Peli case if that's the route. That and the fact that the other choices have sold out.

Plug & Play tail tidy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313689434902

Impulse buy, probably should've tagged one onto the Bikerbits order, but it arrived next day and looks very good quality. Quite heavy for a tail tidy! Probably good for an off-road machine.

Suspension

Annoying as it is to have to do it, I knew before buying that it needed budgeting for. Long chat with Brooks suspension about options - range from cheap fixes up to K-Tech. Cheap looks like £200 - £500. K-Tech anything up to around £1200 (rear shock and complete front springs/cartridges). The K-Tech stuff requires a K-Tech installer or they won't warranty it. The cheaper options/brands can be done yourself. I'm 75kg but with kit & luggage 85kg plus, so will probably get the K-Tech rear shock to suit on a 'buy cheap, pay twice' principle in the hope K-Tech have got the setup bang on.

What's left to get

Mirrors! Something foldable. Double take Itchy Boots ones look great but those Ram arms are heavy. Although the mirrors themselves aren't. Any cheaper/decent recommendations?
Flexi number plate. A standard plate wouldn't last long. Recommendations?

I wouldn't bother with crashbars, they add weight and the plastics are cheap, new from Thailand

Mirrors, get the italian folding one, from Wemoto - double take are so expensive

I wouldn't bother with crashbars, they add weight and the plastics are cheap, new from Thailand

Mirrors, get the italian folding one, from Wemoto - double take are so expensive

They add weight, yes. Having broken a radiator and been with people who've done the same I always have 'something' protection wise. It's a right royal pain when it happens. If you're doing light trails/forest roads I wouldn't bother, but for more technical stuff I see it as essential. These Outback ones seem to keep the engine cases off the floor a bit too.

Will take a look at the Wemoto as I think the DT ones are a ripoff frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They add weight, yes. Having broken a radiator and been with people who've done the same I always have 'something' protection wise. It's a right royal pain when it happens. If you're doing light trails/forest roads I wouldn't bother, but for more technical stuff I see it as essential. These Outback ones seem to keep the engine cases off the floor a bit too.

Will take a look at the Wemoto as I think the DT ones are a ripoff frankly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would just buy rad guards, if that worries you (and I admit, they're good) - but with decent handguards, there shouldn't be a need for extra tubing

I have ridden offroad with people with Rallyes and L's and some have got in a right pickle, but nobody damaged the bike to warrant crashbars (it's a road riders mindset)

I would just buy rad guards, if that worries you (and I admit, they're good) - but with decent handguards, there shouldn't be a need for extra tubing

I have ridden offroad with people with Rallyes and L's and some have got in a right pickle, but nobody damaged the bike to warrant crashbars (it's a road riders mindset)

Agreed. It might be overkill, but I'm on that side of the fence rather than the hope for the best side. Each to their own of course.

Hand guards! Yes. I have a set of Barkbusters here that were sent to me in error years ago and never collected when I told the supplier about them. One of these years I'll buy a bike they actually fit to...maybe this is the one :blast

Really interesting (to me anyway) how well the CRF can do. This review tracks the parts used in 85000km RTW trip http://oneroadoneworld.com/which-pa...KApal93CE8IreKg2GivKcLY2u7zqQdFxgTQvYXFXi0LBw

Very reliable!!!

This was their "Prep" video

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oZgzglLC2Dw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will watch.

Turns out I've got a local K-Tech/suspension guru near where I live. So I spent a bit of time there this morning. Seems Andreani and K-Tech good, YSS not so good - his view based on some poor tolerances he's seen.

He says the real deal consists of new shocks, rather than fixing up poor ones, but that could run into lots of £££ and the bike doesn't merit it. Next best is to modify the existing forks with the K-Tech inserts and a new shock. Then price down from there depending on budget.

Will watch.

Turns out I've got a local K-Tech/suspension guru near where I live. So I spent a bit of time there this morning. Seems Andreani and K-Tech good, YSS not so good - his view based on some poor tolerances he's seen.

He says the real deal consists of new shocks, rather than fixing up poor ones, but that could run into lots of £££ and the bike doesn't merit it. Next best is to modify the existing forks with the K-Tech inserts and a new shock. Then price down from there depending on budget.

you want suspension in Gloucestershire then Tillit 5 Oxbutts Industrial Estate, Woodmancote, Cheltenham GL52 9HW, top notch they know their business

you want suspension in Gloucestershire then Tillit 5 Oxbutts Industrial Estate, Woodmancote, Cheltenham GL52 9HW, top notch they know their business

I may just have been there this morning :D

Nice guy who must dream of shiny tubes during the night....racks of the things all lined up neatly. I spent 20 mins with him and learnt quite a bit that I didn't know before.

I may just have been there this morning :D

Nice guy who must dream of shiny tubes during the night....racks of the things all lined up neatly. I spent 20 mins with him and learnt quite a bit that I didn't know before.

they are great to deal with,

I am not knocking the bike I think they are great machines however, back in the day I had a CB250 RS, single cylinder twin exhaust port, it was lighter despite being steel frame and twin shock, about the same fuel capacity, about the same bhp, would sit at 70-75 all day and did 90 ish although a few mods and it did do over a ton (just)

You have to wonder what improvements have we made in the last 40 years or so? you would have thought, lighter, faster, more fuel efficient? I don't know something

it does make you wonder. I had one too and it was a great little bike that always got a good thrashing.

Three days for the Bikerbits order to arrive! How good is that.

The Yamoto bashplate weighs 1.4kg It feels like it weighs, not hardcore, but I think it'll be a good compromise on the weight/protection graph. Good price/protection ratio for sure.
The Yamoto rear rack weighs 1kg. It looks better in the flesh than online too. Same as above really, good weight for what it is and as it's flat it'll take the Peli case, or whatever.

The Outback front crash bars do weigh quite a bit going by the feel of the box. Will weigh when I fit them.

Back
Top Bottom