Recommend me PC security.

ShakeyBMW

S K P
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I was a regular PC user I swore by Avast Anti virus so when I bought a laptop for self employment purposes, I bought a subscription to their Premium Package.

It has bombarded me with “you might be vulnerable to X” and “we can fix that for £y” type messages to the extent that it interferes with my ability to work. Things have come to a head when it wouldn’t let me access the webpage to download the PDM60 Dashboard so after wasting an hour trying to find a way to allow it, I uninstalled the Avast suite. Ironically, that was the only time it offered to let me turn off the advertising shite so I may just reinstall and go round to switch it off again.

Who uses what other software and what’s recommended?

I’m not overly techy & have had the same bother as you with PCs. A friend said to get a MacBook & since then I simply don’t have any bother. I realise this doesn’t answer your question as a MacBook may not suit what you need but it’s worth considering …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's any help I use Sophos on my MacBook Air with no issues, reasonably priced at about £80 for 3 years.

I find that's nothing wrong with Windows Defender. Or whaatever it is called these days (I still call it 'Forefront' as when originaally released) It is built into Windows and over the years, they have got better. There are no adds or nagware.

All anti-virus products go up and down in ratings; Some have better detection rates, but as you say interfere with the ability work...

For an average user, in my opinion, defender is adequate.
HTH

is there any reason not to use the security suite within Windows? This is activated by default in Windows 10. I also use the Chrome browser which adds another layer of security from Google. This has an extension added, uTorrent, which filters out pop-ups and most adverts.

I have run checks with other tools such as Malwarebytes and Trend's online checker and they have not come back with any problems so I am happy to trust the Microsoft offering to do the job.

On my Win10 machine I use Avira (free version), have been using that for years. Other security tools for me are Bleachbit, Glary Utilities and a decent VPN. Note that moving to a Mac is no guaruntee of a virus free life.

I find that's nothing wrong with Windows Defender. Or whaatever it is called these days (I still call it 'Forefront' as when originaally released) It is built into Windows and over the years, they have got better. There are no adds or nagware.

All anti-virus products go up and down in ratings; Some have better detection rates, but as you say interfere with the ability work...

For an average user, in my opinion, defender is adequate.
HTH
Yep, exactly this. It’s free and it works

I use MacAfee total on a 5 or 10 user account depending on the deal, you can get it for about £20/30 depending how you get it and it does not interfere with anything.

had avast once....struggled to get it all uninstalled without editing registry. I use windows built in security now.

Windows Defender will do all you need, providing you are on Windows 10.

It’s actually pretty advanced these days, even though it’s built into the OS, don’t let that out you off. Simple, safe and secure.

Thanks all. I am indeed mostly a Mac user but bought the windows machine to be more compatible with client’s corporate systems.

If you didn't decide yet, here are some tested (by me or some friends) security systems. Norton 360 Deluxe: In addition to cross-platform security, hosted online backup, and a ton of security features, Norton 360 Deluxe gives you a no-limits VPN and full-featured parental control system that would cost plenty by themselves. It's a high-security bargain. You said that you are mostly a Mac user, so here's my experience with Kaspersky security cloud: Kaspersky Security Cloud is a security suite that lets you install and manage top-notch security on up to 10 PCs and Macs. I, also, used it on my Windows PC. It’s an Editors' Choice for cross-platform security. Trend Micro Maximum Security: Trend Micro Maximum Security offers a pretty good protection for your macOS devices. It is also good for Windows. I am not an advertiser, they are just my experiences with some security systems. :D

I just got a subscription reminder from Avast so I’ve cancelled that and will try the windows defender suite.

Defender is really quite good, I haven't used a 3rd party AV toolset for years.

Obviously usual recommendations for Ad blocker in your browser of choice. Ghostery is a good one.

Back
Top Bottom