R1200RS any good?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of changing my Super Tenere and I am considering an R1200RS, any issues I should know about? I might even consider a late R1200R or I might stretch to a “pre-owned” R1250R. I do a couple of European tours each year but it is mainly riding for pleasure doing about 10k a year.

I had a Super Tenere from 2011 to 2015. Wanted a lower, lighter bike. Dabbled with a Tracer but a bit cheap in the suspension dept. Now have a R1200RS, bought in 2016 and have no plans to change any time soon. Used for commuting in the olden days when I left home and tours all over Europe. It's been very reliable but I needed to raise the bars and lower the pegs to make it more comfy.

You'll find loads of info at https://www.r1200rsforum.com/ and a few familiar names from this place

Great bike. I have the R1200RS and it's great for touring, and can get up and go, (as far as a boxer can), when it wants too.

The r1200rs is my favourite bike and those who know me know I've had most of them. Its just brilliant. I'd test both if your thinking of getting the R because I wasn't too keen on it. It felt stiffer than the RS. The RS is so good I changed my s1000xr for it.

Wow! Thanks gents! I have been thinking about a Tracer too, but then I thought about a S1000XR, but much though it appeals, (and it does), I thought something slightly saner might suit and I do like twins and I have owned a few BMWs over the years and the R1200RS seems to fit the bill for what I want and what I need.

Wow! Thanks gents! I have been thinking about a Tracer too, but then I thought about a S1000XR, but much though it appeals, (and it does), I thought something slightly saner might suit and I do like twins and I have owned a few BMWs over the years and the R1200RS seems to fit the bill for what I want and what I need.

I also have a 2016 S1000XR in the garage but I think if I had to choose just one, it would be the RS...

I also have a 2016 S1000XR in the garage but I think if I had to choose just one, it would be the RS...

As I only have one bike in my garage now, that is pretty much what I thought. My reasons for considering replacing my Super Tenere are much the same as yours, I want something lower and lighter, for the record, I am 6’2” so I also want a little room for my legs, what lowering kit did you use? Oh, and thanks for the link in your earlier post, much appreciated :beerjug:

The tracer is no comparison to the RS, had that too. The suspension feels terrible and its slower/more vibey. Less comfy, worse MPG. Less tech. Worse handling. Alright as a workhorse i suppose but not a bike to love in my opinion.

As I only have one bike in my garage now, that is pretty much what I thought. My reasons for considering replacing my Super Tenere are much the same as yours, I want something lower and lighter, for the record, I am 6’2” so I also want a little room for my legs, what lowering kit did you use? Oh, and thanks for the link in your earlier post, much appreciated :beerjug:

A sports seat will put your bum up higher, that with a lowering kit should give space :D

MV Motorrad, not the hydraulic one. Easy to fit. https://www.mv-motorrad.de/en/BMW/BMW+R1200RS+LC/

Test it and buy it quick!

Before Boxerlust jumps in - and fries your brain.:rob

I had an RS for a year. Excellent bike. Fast, agile and lighter than a GS. Less popular so you don’t see so many on the road. Bar risers and lower foot pegs and it’s all day comfortable.

Thanks gents, I’m on the hunt!

Hey Matty589, how come you only kept it for a year if it was that good? :confused: ;)

Thanks gents, I’m on the hunt!

Hey Matty589, how come you only kept it for a year if it was that good? :confused: ;)

Fractured vertebrae meant I could no longer lean forward to ride for long periods of time. Damn shame as I loved it. I’m a sports tourer rider (actually loved the VFR800 when it hit the power and and all 16 valves kicked in!) Don’t really like adventure bikes but about all I can manage without annoying back pain!

Fractured vertebrae meant I could no longer lean forward to ride for long periods of time. Damn shame as I loved it. I’m a sports tourer rider (actually loved the VFR800 when it hit the power and and all 16 valves kicked in!) Don’t really like adventure bikes but about all I can manage without annoying back pain!

Ouch! That’s nasty!

Back
Top Bottom