Ireland to the Sahara

Three weeks, if I were you, I would be happy enough to get to Morocco and spend a week there. How much riding do you want to do. Be a bit realistic. Spain four days to get to ferry, four days to get back to ferry, one week in Morocco it will soon add up.

Rough plan.
Gara Medouar.
Tizi n' Test.
Plage Blanche.
Dakhla.
And further down to St Louis Senegal if possible.
I love the way you just throw in that last line like it's no big deal!:D
Three weeks - yes, doable - it was doable to get to The Gambia in that approximate time ten years (?) ago - and that was on a Honda C90. But if i had the chance to do it again i'd not hurry - i'd go slower and enjoy the ride and just turn around halfway through my time away :nenau.

Entirely your decision. The advice / info you've had so far is spot on and from seriously well travelled intelligent people.
Not like me. :p
Wish i was going! Enjoy!:bounce1

~~
p.s: the Guinness label on the passport is a definite advantage in Mauritania - i was addressed as "mon ami" by the head man at the military checkpoint just inside the border / my English friends were pointedly not. ;)

2 easy days through Spain if you’re off the ferry early, it can of course be done in a 1 day slog and don’t forget that restaurants are open late (in Galicia we entered a restaurant at midnight and had a 3 course meal - it was packed) so you don’t have to worry about arriving late.
Just a suggestion, if I may, if you want to have a 2 day ride.

Caceres is a beautiful, UNESCO world heritage, city roughly half way to Algeciras. We have stayed here https://www.exehotels.com/exe-agora...e=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=googlemb a couple of times. It’s close to the centre of the city and it’s got an underground car park that has a vehicle lift , which is a bit of fun.

https://www.hotelesglobales.com/en/...=visitas&utm_campaign=globales-reina-cristina
This hotel is opposite the port of Algeciras and, I’m pretty sure, it’s used by most if not all the UKGSers going to Morocco. It has a banquet breakfast so you can stock up on food for the road.

Tangier Port is the easiest entry into Morocco.

Have a good one.

Yes you *could* do this in three weeks. You can cross Spain in 1.5 days. Algeciras to Marrakech on the motorways another day. Marrakech to St Louis four days. Same back again, but that only leaves five spare days.

Riding through Western Sahara is a real bore—an extract from a road report to Dakar that I wrote many years ago...

"the road south of Layoune runs straight into the distance. A line of pylons marches across the hamada alongside the road. After twenty miles there is some excitement as I see a sign for a bend in the distance, but it is a very gentle curve that could have been taken at 200 mph. Five miles further on I overtake a lorry. Ten miles further on two donkeys are standing by the side of the road. Do I sound bored?"

The photos have long gone but you might be interested in the words, see https://timcullis.wordpress.com/page/2/

And there's some photos at http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191

However my advice would be that your time would be better spent in Morocco. Over the last five decades I've spent almost four years in Morocco and there's still lots more to see and do.

Dakar and back does seem like a stretch in three weeks - and it would likely mean a lot of tarmac primary routes.
I'd also opt for the "explore Maroc" alternative. (And the possibility of some mountain twisties in Spain too.)

Having beeen as far as Dahkla I think it's worth considering as a destination.
The WSahara coastal route is indeed monotonous but it's dramatic; Atlantic coastline to the right, desert to the left. Empty beaches, sense of isolation.
Retracing the same route to Laayoune might seem a bit boring but from there you'll easily find more alternative routes options incl. a beach piste near Tan-Tan.

I thought I'd search for the distance Dahkla to Laayoune (~ 900km) to discover they're busy building a highway, to complete in 2021. That might influence your decision. Maybe the two lane black-top with sand drifts and camels and beach views is still available.

A top tip - I probably learned from Tim's site :
Bring at least a dozen copies of a "fiche" with your passport/moto/visitor"visa" details. This will save you so much time at roadside checkpoints and help out the cops on their tedious duties. Just hand them a copy.
Checkpoints especially common in WS. Bring 2 doz copies if heading to Dahkla. A6 size will do and take up little space

Dakar and back does seem like a stretch in three weeks - and it would likely mean a lot of tarmac primary routes.
I'd also opt for the "explore Maroc" alternative. (And the possibility of some mountain twisties in Spain too.)

Having beeen as far as Dahkla I think it's worth considering as a destination.
The WSahara coastal route is indeed monotonous but it's dramatic; Atlantic coastline to the right, desert to the left. Empty beaches, sense of isolation.
Retracing the same route to Laayoune might seem a bit boring but from there you'll easily find more alternative routes options incl. a beach piste near Tan-Tan.

I thought I'd search for the distance Dahkla to Laayoune (~ 900km) to discover they're busy building a highway, to complete in 2021. That might influence your decision. Maybe the two lane black-top with sand drifts and camels and beach views is still available.

A top tip - I probably learned from Tim's site :
Bring at least a dozen copies of a "fiche" with your passport/moto/visitor"visa" details. This will save you so much time at roadside checkpoints and help out the cops on their tedious duties. Just hand them a copy.
Checkpoints especially common in WS. Bring 2 doz copies if heading to Dahkla. A6 size will do and take up little space
Thank you very much, great advice in there

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes you *could* do this in three weeks. You can cross Spain in 1.5 days. Algeciras to Marrakech on the motorways another day. Marrakech to St Louis four days. Same back again, but that only leaves five spare days.

Riding through Western Sahara is a real bore—an extract from a road report to Dakar that I wrote many years ago...

"the road south of Layoune runs straight into the distance. A line of pylons marches across the hamada alongside the road. After twenty miles there is some excitement as I see a sign for a bend in the distance, but it is a very gentle curve that could have been taken at 200 mph. Five miles further on I overtake a lorry. Ten miles further on two donkeys are standing by the side of the road. Do I sound bored?"

The photos have long gone but you might be interested in the words, see https://timcullis.wordpress.com/page/2/

And there's some photos at http://www.morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191

However my advice would be that your time would be better spent in Morocco. Over the last five decades I've spent almost four years in Morocco and there's still lots more to see and do.
Thanks Tim, appreciate the time and effort in that reply.
Al

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of going as well for a month or so.
Any more going to tag along?
Cheers --Jo

Back
Top Bottom