Guzzi V85TT. deals in Nov 2020

Cracking bike and saving.....enjoy. Just accept the performance isn’t major but it good for everyday use. I will be fitting my stand over Xmas as the weather improves....hardest bit will be the spring. My engine bars will hopefully be ready and will fit them too. I used to have the hard panniers and frames but too heavy so trying soft rolls bags

I hear what you say about the performance but that's just one part of the overall package of course - and my history of bike ownership clearly shows a preference for moderately powered twins. First 'big' bike was a 1980 Honda Superdream, followed by a CX500 - but thereafter it was Euro twins pretty much all the way. Started with a Ducati Pantah in the mid 80's (I really wanted a late 70's 900ss but couldn't afford it!) and others have included Ducati 900ss and Superlight, 600TT2 rep and 1100 Hypermotard plus Cagiva Elefant. BMW boxers also feature (r100gs & r75/6). Had other bikes of course but never a Guzzi - so I'm really looking forward to going off on a tangent!

Got that centre stand on yet? Not sure if there is access on the V85 but I've found on other bikes that the least painful way to fit a centre stand is to leave bike on side stand, put spring(s) on the loose centre stand and only then wrestle it into position and bolt it up. May work better and I hope that's not 'teaching granny'?

I decided against the OEM engine bars, not quite convinced by the lower mounting point. Givi ones appear a bit OTT so it was a toss up between SW-Motech / Hepco & Becker. Liking the look of the SW-M 'Protection' kit (engine bars, beefier bashplate and front axle pucks) but I've just stumbled across a near new set H&B bars for a decent price on EBay - so that was an easy decision...

Just got to get the bike now!

Also trying to work out which engine bars to get.
Could you advise what issue with the lower mounting point gave you concern.
To my mind, the horizontal bar over the cylinder heads seems a bit high, whereas the one on the H&G bars seems to be in a more "natural" place in the event of a drop. The Givi ones have three parallel bars surrounding the heads. Also trying to work out which bars will fit with a larger sump guard.

Likewise, just got to get the bike, it is still with the dealer as lockdown has delayed the delivery.

... Could you advise what issue with the lower mounting point gave you concern....
Likewise, just got to get the bike, it is still with the dealer as lockdown has delayed the delivery.

It was just that it was straight onto the engine case. MG state that this area has been reinforced - by which I guess they mean the 'tunnel' thru the case - but I think frame mount would be less likely to lead to catastrophic damage in the event of a hit. Useful comparison https://www.facebook.com/1832313230363470/videos/140456244515532
Both SW-M and H&B strike the right compromise for me - extra triangulation/beefier tubing but without the extra extra weight & complexity of the Givi.
I also like how they fit and look - the shape of the H&B ones reminds me of those on the aircooled gs.
If not for the secondhand H&B set I would have been tempted by the SW-M package deal: https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/Adventure-set-Protection-Moto-Guzzi-V85-TT-19-

I'm more than happy for the dealer to hang onto mine until decent riding weather arrives!

Thanks for the info, will check it out.
It does seem that the SW Motech pack is the best compromise all round, need to check out the mounting points.

Also thinking about a plate to mount on the centre stand, so when riding there is continuation of the protection offerd by the sump guard. Have this set up on the GSA but not seen anything for the V85TT as yet.

Like yourself, happy for dealer to keep the bike for now, but a little seed of doubt in the mind about security and if they go bust. The bike is paid for and I have the paperwork and V5 so legally no issue, but just the hassle getting it back in that scenario. Probably concerned anout nothing, but a little guarded about it as I have been there before and it was not pretty.

Hay Ho, I shall remain positive and continue the bling hunt.

Also thinking about a plate to mount on the centre stand, so when riding there is continuation of the protection offerd by the sump guard. Have this set up on the GSA but not seen anything for the V85TT as yet..

Got the same on a airhead gs that gets a bit of offroad use - have to remove it every oil change but battle scars prove its' worth. I'm much less likely to venture off road on the v85 - but if that changes I'd probably stump up for the SW-Motech bash plate which is beefier than OEM and extends further back.

Interesting that Colchester Kawasaki are selling pre reg premium colour V5's at £8995. Yet their demonstrator (Red and White ) 350mls is advertised at £9599. How's that work then?

When I spoke to them in November, they told me that they had bought the last batch of 2020 from the importers at a good price and the demo was bought earlier in the year at the usual stocking price so paid more for it.

Another source has told me that the cost price on the road of the demo would have been £9430, hence they do not wish to lose money on it.

Just read a couple of interesting posts on the V85 FB site. 2 bikes both bought from discount dealers late 2020, both had the rear drive seals go, recall not done by either dealer. They both managed to get their bikes picked up and repaired by the dealer, one of them had to travel 400mls to pick his bike back up. Sounds like they were early 2020 bikes rather than late 2020 bikes. Doubt they had the late 2020 mapping either.

For anyone thinking about buying one, or a big KTM or an MV, Moto Corsa in Gillingham, Dorset are soon to be offering lifetime warranties to the first owner.

www.motocorsa.co.uk

Pity they didn't have a 790 Duke in stock and this offer going when I bought one last year, as the bike is a keeper.

Mrs GSite says I am a bad influence as another Tosser I know has bought one following this post.
When we spoke on the phone I thought you sounded rather keen to view it at the dealer the same day.
Great price considering the top box and minimal miles.
Hope you enjoy it, let me know how you get on blinging it up and the ownership experience.
Best wishes

Today's the day! Finally collected the bike from the dealer, as close as I've got to a new bike in nearly 30 years. Pity the recent Spring sunshine didn't play ball - today was simply too bloody cold to spend more than an hour or so wending my way home. Not long enough! Will have to get those heated grips fitted...

Agreed, today was cold enough for heated grips. I must get heated grips too, but the bars are tapered so not sure if anything other than the Guzzi ones would be an easy fit. Did another 140 miles today running it in, mainly back roads up hill and down dales with plenty of twisties and gear changing. Hopefully you can get out for a good ride in the near future.

Heated grips...

I got a set of Oxford grips thrown in as part of the deal. The price of the bike was very reasonable but it's almost compulsory to have a little bit of a haggle.
Turns out there are three versions (Adventure, Sports and Tourer - different lengths and compunds) with each available in two specs (Premium and Advanced - one with a few more heat levels and supposedly better quality connections). Who knew?
The Adventure version supplied is slightly too long, even allowing for permitted trimming, so I'll be swapping them for Tourers. According to dimensions supplied in the instruction leaflet these should be exactly right - fingers crossed. I know others have used Oxford grips on the V85tt but I still anticpate a bit a faffing about fitting them...

I got a heated jacket and some silk inner gloves. I find that my core is warm and pumping warmer blood to my extremities that my fingers don’t get cold now ��

Back
Top Bottom