One man tents

Why piss about with a tarp..jus get a 2 man tent with porch ..

If that is the Taurus 2, it's one of the few tents I moved on!

I called mine Nigella, as it looked great from the front .. but was a saggy piece of shite at the rear.
Nicely made, but not versatile on many levels.

As for the Tarptent;

I have looked at these myself on a few occasions, and put my mate onto them when he was looking.
It just seems to be in the same place as the Kermit Chair - No UK distributor, so you just have to hope it doesn't break.

As for the Tarptent;

I have looked at these myself on a few occasions, and put my mate onto them when he was looking.
It just seems to be in the same place as the Kermit Chair - No UK distributor, so you just have to hope it doesn't break.

I found them good to deal with and really well made stuff, very happy with mine and how it performs in the hills.

Why piss about with a tarp..jus get a 2 man tent with porch ..

Because if you pitch the tarp right you can dismantle a tent and pack up all your gear under it in the pissing rain :)

Attachments

• 20200725_193123.jpg
    20200725_193123.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 272
Phoenix Phreeranger was often referred as one of THE best 1-man tents. I have never carried mine on the bike, but here it is (sorry, crap pic, wet camera) on a backpacking trip:
4086028407_130c54d870.jpg

Someone is now making a copy for £350 (Phoenix tents went bust years ago) - see http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/25-phoenix-phreeranger-replica-complete-tent.html

It's super-light, 1340 grams, and stable in wild weather

Ahhh the ‘pitch inner tent first’ dilemma. I have to say you need to know how to pitch your tent quick with this option and that comes with practise and experience. It’s always entertaining when it’s blowing a hooley. Pic of porch.

Attachments

• FA3108FE-70BF-4D8D-8257-3E7D5EB05455.jpg
    FA3108FE-70BF-4D8D-8257-3E7D5EB05455.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 252
Ahhh the ‘pitch inner tent first’ dilemma. I have to say you need to know how to pitch your tent quick with this option and that comes with practise and experience. It’s always entertaining when it’s blowing a hooley. Pic of porch.

Yes, it's one of the reasons I'll only ever use Hillebergs now as they go up in one including the footprint and you can unclip the inner to store dry for the day if the tents soaked.
Downside as we know is the price!!

Downside as we know is the price!!

It's like buying a better watch, bottle of Scotch or new car - At first you baulk at the price as it's a massive step up from what you're used to paying ... but once you make the jump, that is the price you look at from then on.
Never downgrade is my motto in life.
It took me years to justify a Hilleberg, and now I have 4.

Some would say "what a waste of money", but I would say taking a dump in a 2 day old tent & walking away from it in a Somerset field is a total loss.

It's like buying a better watch, bottle of Scotch or new car - At first you baulk at the price as it's a massive step up from what you're used to paying ... but once you make the jump, that is the price you look at from then on.
Never downgrade is my motto in life.
It took me years to justify a Hilleberg, and now I have 4.

Some would say "what a waste of money", but I would say taking a dump in a 2 day old tent & walking away from it in a Somerset field is a total loss.

Exactly, I'm always skint but have 3 Hillebergs .....hmmm perhaps that's why :D

I can do you a really good deal on a near enough mint condition one man single skin Goretex tent that’s very light because it’s designed for fell runners and packs down small enough to be easy to carry on a push bike. I think the bag it comes in is fully waterproof but I’d need to double check on that

I’d want about £100 for it including postage which shouldn’t be much because it’s not big and heavy :D

Photo to follow via Tapatalk in a minute.

f3cb016269335bdfcfbe7fec7465cfde.jpg

a15943921a76e7ac955dfb04f0ab5b77.jpg

The porch is big enough to store anything you’d carry on a pushbike or you can lie in the tent and cook in the porch if you feel so inclined. The manufacturers claimed you could get 2 in there but I wouldn’t want to be one of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f3cb016269335bdfcfbe7fec7465cfde.jpg

a15943921a76e7ac955dfb04f0ab5b77.jpg

The porch is big enough to store anything you’d carry on a pushbike or you can lie in the tent and cook in the porch if you feel so inclined. The manufacturers claimed you could get 2 in there but I wouldn’t want to be one of them

I'm pretty sure that hooped bivi is now known as the Rab Ridge Raider.
I know for sure that the Ridge Raider uses eVent fabric, which is supposedly better breathing than Gore-Tex.

I have a similar Terra Nova Jupiter that is made of Gore-Tex - and like you, one night was enough! :D

It was originally sold as an Outdoor Designs Ridge Raider, and it’s supposed to be a very breathable version of Goretex so you don’t feel as if you’re on the verge of suffocating (which was the case with early Goretex tents)but Rab may have taken them over.

It’s fine for one person, I’ve had a 40l bag in there alongside me plus boots etc on my other side but if you use a top spec Exped the roof is very low and in hot weather you need to keep the inner door wide open because as is always the case with Goretex the fabric works best when there’s a temperature differential. I’ve used it in temperatures down to about -5c and there was no frost or condensation inside but Richards nephew might not go cycle touring in mid winter :D

Edit: I’ve just wasted 5 minutes of my time and the Outdoor Designs tent in the photo uses Goretex Exchange fabric which is supposedly better than eVent but more expensive and the same parent company own Outdoor Designs and Rab.

It was originally sold as an Outdoor Designs Ridge Raider, and it’s supposed to be a very breathable version of Goretex so you don’t feel as if you’re on the verge of suffocating (which was the case with early Goretex tents)but Rab may have taken them over.

It’s fine for one person, I’ve had a 40l bag in there alongside me plus boots etc on my other side but if you use a top spec Exped the roof is very low and in hot weather you need to keep the inner door wide open because as is always the case with Goretex the fabric works best when there’s a temperature differential. I’ve used it in temperatures down to about -5c and there was no frost or condensation inside but Richards nephew might not go cycle touring in mid winter :D

Edit: I’ve just wasted 5 minutes of my time and the Outdoor Designs tent in the photo uses Goretex Exchange fabric which is supposedly better than eVent but more expensive and the same parent company own Outdoor Designs and Rab.

Yes, I think my Terra Nova Jupiter (as well as the Saturn) uses Gore Exchange.
These brands will big up & sell what they can buy in cheapest - Military use Gore-Tex ... Good enough for me!

I thought Outdoor Designs took over Rab?

I think it’s a case of them having the same parent company though Outdoor Designs kit is fairly rare in the UK.

Don’t say anything bad about them, I’m trying to sell the tent as being the best tent Richards nephew will ever have and he’ll worship the ground his favourite uncle walks on if he buys it for him :D

My nephew, a keen bicyclist, has plans on going solo camping. I thought I might buy him a tent, good enough for one person (he’s not Tosser sized) that can be backpacked or put onto a bicycle.

The Vango Nevis 100 looks OK

The Robens Arrow Head, too...

but if anyone has any sensible suggestions (I am not going to spank out on a Hilleberg, believe me) I’d be interested to hear them and, more importantly, why. Similarly, if anyone has a very good one man tent in tip-top condition, sing up.

Thank you.

So, what did you buy him? A sheet of dpc plastic and a bit of rope or a Hilleberg?

Back
Top Bottom