tyres

cutmorej

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1250 gs exclusive front tyre wear is absolutely knackered bike has covered 4k with various roads, rear tyre still got 3 to 4mm and useable what is it with these new gs I've had bm s of all shapes and sizes but never ever wore a front tyre out like this one has

Just out of interest....is it the bridgestone A41's you got??

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

What tyre/manufacturer? I've had this happen on a previous bike (Triumph Explorer 1200) at 4,250 miles and I contacted the manufacturer who advised get a new tyre fitted and the old one sent back to them (by the tyre depot who changed the tyre), they would inspect it, and, if they found a fault, would refund me. And that's exactly what they did, about a week after having the tyre replaced, got a full refund.

1250 gs exclusive front tyre wear is absolutely knackered bike has covered 4k with various roads, rear tyre still got 3 to 4mm and useable what is it with these new gs I've had bm s of all shapes and sizes but never ever wore a front tyre out like this one has

Sounds like you have been enjoying yourself .....for me its normal to get 3 to 3.5k out of a set (not the A41 ) . The A41s are worn when they are new as the wear markers are high , try the Conti TA3 great tyres.

Normally I would get two rears to one front
But I’m the same on my 1250 gs exclusive
Two fronts to one rear and it’s not just the Bridgestone A41

Had just under 3,500m out of mine before changed, front was past wear bar on right hand side, back was right on wear bars ��

My A41’s were pretty average at best and done before 4,000 miles on my 1250.

What do you get from PR5's when riding in the UK?

I think I got about 2K ish but did change them for the CTA 3 before totally screwed ( as can’t bear riding on worn tyres as i ride for fun not commuting)as the front had gone pre 2k and the rear had worn due to the wet weather nature of the tread pattern and cut up badly . Great set tho , looking at the new Dunlop TT when I change next .
But my default tyre at the moment is the CTA3 as this can take abuse , grips and last well and inspires riding in the wet and rough roads (superb in the dry as never moves )

What tyre do you use

having read the previous posts in this topic , what is the popular tyre for the GS. I have converted from a Multistrada very recently and found the Metzler Roadtecs very good. Sold the bike so do not know how long they lasted. Not sure if there is a size for the GS or if a pure road tyre works on a GS. just getting opinions . very surprised at the low milages tyres wear out on GS from your comments. I have not intention of going off road.

Another one here for Conti Trail attack 3, currently the best GS tyres on the market imo. I only ride on tarmac too.

I have the CTA3 on my Husky 701 and my Honda ATAS.
I wanted Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs on both.
They don’t do the rear size for the Husky in the Pirelli and the front 90/90-21 was out to stock in Europe when I got new tyres for the ATAS before my Spanish trip in September.
They do seem to behave differently on different bikes.
They are OK on the ATAS but the STRs that I had on previously were much better,and the CTA2s that I’ve had on bikes for years such as previous AT, KTM 1290R and Super Enduro 950 were IMHO much better than the CTA3.
I dunno what they’ve done but I had much more feel from the front with the 2s than the 3s.
The CTA3s are particularly shite on my 701.
I’ll be changing them before they need changing.Just hoping that Pirelli bring out the rear size I need.
Again it’s only my opinion but the Pirelli’s are the best tyre I’ve ever had on any ‘adventure’ bike since I got my first big one (KTM 950 Adv S) in 2004.

Same happened to my 1250 on Bridgestone A41's
Liked the tyre though,good and grippy in the dry....OK in wet
Put a pair of Michelin PR5 trails early September 2020, after more than 2000 miles including 5 days in some rather heavy rain in Scotland last month and torrential rain in Wales last week...I love these. Rock solid
Still got loads of tread left
Don't need anything for off road
We all like what we like
Stuck with Michelin RS's on last 2 S1000XR's and couldn't fault them
These are same type of tread pattern but with the rain stipes

Attachments

• 4344.jpg
    4344.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 500
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 512
You can destroy any tire in a short amount of time if you are hard on the brakes into turns and then hard on the gas out of them...But if you ride smooth and fast and run 2-up pressures you can see up to 12 miles on the front if you run Conti Trail Attak 3 and 5-6 miles out of the rears on a 1250...For comparison my former favorite tire was the Pirelli Skorpion Trail 2 that lasted only 6 K miles on the front and about the same as the Conti TA3 on the rear...I try Conti RA3 next and see how they perform and last compared to the above mentioned...I loved them on my R Nine T...THey felt like sport tires but lasted 50% longer than sport tires...For whatever reason Bridgestones & Michelins wear very quick on boxers , especially the fronts and don't feel as confidence inspiring as Contis...

If you want mileage stay away from the Pilot 5...Especially the font wears awfully quick...:( Listen what Stick has to say as the Conti TA3 is currently the default tire if you like to go fast and get decent mileage...I know Stick does not like the CRA3 but I will try it next to be able to compare the 2 on the 1250GS...Had em on my 1200 and liked them but the 1250 has more torque and wears the rear quicker.

If you want mileage stay away from the Pilot 5...Especially the font wears awfully quick...:( Listen what Stick has to say as the Conti TA3 is currently the default tire if you like to go fast and get decent mileage...I know Stick does not like the CRA3 but I will try it next to be able to compare the 2 on the 1250GS...Had em on my 1200 and liked them but the 1250 has more torque and wears the rear quicker.

And if you’re a shit rider and don’t want to go at 138 mph everywhere but would rather enjoy the scenery yet still get some feedback then avoid the TA3s.
The TA2s were much better , as are the Pirelli Rally STRs.

If you want mileage stay away from the Pilot 5...Especially the font wears awfully quick

I got 5k on mine before replacing - mainly because they'd squared off to the point that I could feel too much of the step in to corners. I replaced both last weekend with Metzeler 01's - too early to form an opinion yet, apart from the fact they they roll in to corners much nicer than my worn PR5's.

Third set of PR5's and happy with them but fancied a change.

How people wear them out over here in 2k I struggle to understand, but to be fair we're not blessed with traffic-free roads around here.

I got 5k on mine before replacing - mainly because they'd squared off to the point that I could feel too much of the step in to corners. I replaced both last weekend with Metzeler 01's - too early to form an opinion yet, apart from the fact they they roll in to corners much nicer than my worn PR5's.

Third set of PR5's and happy with them but fancied a change.

How people wear them out over here in 2k I struggle to understand, but to be fair we're not blessed with traffic-free roads around here.

I have a set of the Metzler Roadtec 01's on my 1250 Exclusive TE - covered about 1500 miles so far (mixture of town and motorway) and they seem to be wearing well. Very happy with the grip and performance. Had PR4's on my previous bike (Tiger 1200) and was very happy with them, in fact preferred them to the Roadtec's, but on the R1250GS, finding the Roadtec's give good all round performance. At present I'll be fitting these again - was going to fit a set of PR5's but if the wear rates are as poor as suggested above, then assuming the Roadtec's fare better I'll stick with the Roadtec's

Back
Top Bottom