Bmw offroad training

Go in the car, just in case something happens. DAMHIK. :blast

Just to build that agree's with all the positives but from a slightly different perspective.

I went to the Triumph Adventure Centre just over the road from the BMW one, mainly as I was considering a Tiger 800. The courses will to some extent be similar and I did level 1, level 2 and then a 2 day gravel tour within 6 months, and went from being someone with zero off-road skills, to being able to ride a 200kg+ machine off road in some pretty wet off road conditions (albeit with a slightly dented bank balance).

I've since been back this year to do a days 'level 2' trail riding on the new Tiger models. I absolutely loved it, and went on to buy a Tiger 900 Rally pro earlier this year. I will do a level 3 and probably another gravel tour with them next year.

I've driven every time, as like the comfort of heated seats and a dry environment afterwards, and haven't stopped over after (even though Ystradgynlais is a 180 mile journey).

I stayed at Cwtch farm, which is a nice small B&B, but a little bit isolated ( https://cwtchfarm.co.uk/ ). There is a nice Tesco's and chain pub at the back of the industrial estate, and if they are open I do like the steak house 'The Aubrey Arms' which is on the roundabout as you head to the training centre.

I would have gone the BMW route all things being equal, it was only as I was looking at buying a Triumph that I went that way (I'm not saying the Triumph one is in any way better as can't directly compare). I posted briefly about it here.

The one thing that amazed me was how capable the bikes were (I watched the BMW ORS trainer take a GSA up a rocky climb on tickover like he was riding across a tesco's car park). These bikes are never the limiting factor.

RBW.

I did level 1 early this year and had a great time. The instructors are amazing in what they can do on a GS and in what they had me doing after a couple of days. Will definitely be going back for more. Also my wife did level one last year and loved it, even though she was absolutely shattered at the end.

Cant recommend this enough!!
Did the L1 back in July - brilliant time, great tuition and location. It shows you what the GS can do even with a relative off road novice on it - and having seen them thrown down the hill several times just how robust they are.
I would recommend wearing some elbow and shoulder armour - i didn't foolishly and injured my elbow late on the last day which ruined my post lockdown riding plans!!

Simon recommended some local accommodation which was fine for us attending the course. Will be going back for L2

Any idea where they normally have the included evening meal ?
I called BMW ofroad but the lady who knows was off work.

PS - ordered a knox vest after the helpful comments above - thanks.

Any idea where they normally have the included evening meal ?
I called BMW ofroad but the lady who knows was off work.

PS - ordered a knox vest after the helpful comments above - thanks.

They used to have it at the Abercrave Inn.

highly recommended, If I go again I would wear vented gear and not your best gear. you can rent clobber from the school and would suggest you rent digs for the night nearby as you will be knackered, I fell off numerous times but it was all low speed pratfalls into mud. If you have chance to do a bit of training on your legs if youve not done much recently it helps. I didn't and was walking like Douglas Barder for a week after from gripping the bike to tightly. you will learn loads and surprise yourself at what you can do on the gs.

I've done BMW R1200GSA : Level 1 and Level 2, plus training at Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy, TRF days out in Snowdonia on my Africa Twin and Green Laning in UK.

BMW ORS is expensive, but a great introduction experience and you get certificates.

Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy is better in my opinion. It's cheaper, no Corporate nonsense and it'll prepare you better for UK Green Laning and worse.

Get armour, you will fall off. If you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

Didn’t fall off once over the two days, until 10 minutes before the end. What a twat! I’m sure there were one or two from here that were there who can tell you how spectacular it looked though! :beerjug: :D

I've done BMW R1200GSA : Level 1 and Level 2, plus training at Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy, TRF days out in Snowdonia on my Africa Twin and Green Laning in UK.

BMW ORS is expensive, but a great introduction experience and you get certificates.

Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy is better in my opinion. It's cheaper, no Corporate nonsense and it'll prepare you better for UK Green Laning and worse.

Get armour, you will fall off. If you don't fall off, you're not trying hard enough.

Is Sweet Lamb the KTM one? I’d like to do it on a 790R, so I can wreck their bike, not mine! :D

Just looked at the sweet lamb courses - look good but more expensive than BMW at £530 !!!!!

Off Road Courses with Simon Pavey

I did a couple of the courses and went also on the weekend run to the radnor forest and back about 8 or 10 years ago. Brilliant fun and a real refresher. On one of the trips Charlie Boorman was riding as 2nd Instructor for the weekend, had a great craic with him all weekend. Met him again two weeks later and he had no idea who I was :blast should have put my helmet on :)

I also did the 'day in the dirt' with Tamsin Jones. By god that girl can ride. All day one on one and covered every track in the arena.
Expensive, but well worth it on many levels.
Dan

Attachments

• brecon2009group.jpg
    brecon2009group.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 437
The BMW school is brilliant, you won’t regret it. The only other counsel I can offer is that it is easy to forget what you have learned unless you put it into routine practice. Personally I signed up with my local TRF group and got out regularly on the trails to hone and keep the skills. If you aren’t going to ride off road fairly regularly after the event then it is little more than a fun way to spend a few quid and have a laugh with like minded folk IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom