Bmw offroad training

Didn’t fall off once over the two days, until 10 minutes before the end. What a twat! I’m sure there were one or two from here that were there who can tell you how spectacular it looked though! :beerjug: :D

Is Sweet Lamb the KTM one? I’d like to do it on a 790R, so I can wreck their bike, not mine! :D

It is now, my training was on my own bike (Africa Twin). Paid £130 per day.

But he's signed up with KTM now it seems, so the cheap days are over...

Just looked at the sweet lamb courses - look good but more expensive than BMW at £530 !!!!!

Yeah, it wasn't like that. I paid about £130 per day with Bunkhouse.

He's gone all KTM Corporate now...

Never been bombarded with any “corporate nonsense” st ORS.
Yes - they all wear BMW kit as BMW supply the bikes and spares, etc. So why wouldn’t they say “thanks” to that? Otherwise they wouldn’t exist.

Never been bombarded with any “corporate nonsense” st ORS.
Yes - they all wear BMW kit as BMW supply the bikes and spares, etc. So why wouldn’t they say “thanks” to that? Otherwise they wouldn’t exist.

- 30 x BMW Identical Bikes all lined up in a row.
- BMW Branded Instructors all lined up in a row.
- Corporate style meals at Evening Restaurant
- Drinks & Biscuits / fruit bowls at mid breaks
- Certificate Presentation Ceremony at end
- Corporate Sales Goodie Bags, lanyards, Brochures

Give me a break. It is completely corporate.

But I'm not saying that's a bad thing, just in my opinion, only gives you an unrealistic UK taster of what's really out there.

When I went out with the TRF, they slaughtered me within two hours... I went home before I seriously injured myself. That was after BMW ORS Level 1 and Level 2. I was not prepared for what they threw at me.

On the Sweet Lamb Adventure Bike Academy, they had us doing stuff that was considered Level 3 at BMW, but on the beginners day... completely different.

No certificates, no meals, no fecking nothing except abuse if you got it wrong...

Sweet Lamb is knarly and he will not let you get past a task, until you complete it... period.

It's more 'real' for UK trail riding... in my opinion.

TRF is very real, hard fuckers and I learnt loads going out with those guys. Trailside repairs, tricks and tips... all weather missions. Really good fun once it's starts clicking into place.

I got seriously hurt with broken ribs, so be prepared to fall off... the better you get, the faster you go... then BANG...

I don't think the ORS Trainees really understand how falling off hurts :D ... especially watching them get pissed the night before training like they're on a hotel seminar... Muppets :D

In my opinion...

Of course it's corporate. It's the BMW off road skills. How much more corporate can it get? So yes, they wear BMW kit, ride BMWs and give BMW goodies at the end. So what? They want to sell more bikes, as do all the other manufacturers who run their own equally corporate courses.

For those of use with no off road experience and no plans (at the time) to do more off road riding it's the perfect taster. I ride a GS, so doing the training on a GS made sense. I don't want to be a "hard fucker", breaking bikes and bones. As for getting pissed at the meal, no one did. We had had, for us novices, a hard day's riding with another to follow the next day and new a hangover wouldn't help.

Read the comments, Warlord. They are unanimous in their verdict that the ORS is brilliant. Just because it isn't right for you, it's right for many, many others.

Of course it's corporate. It's the BMW off road skills. How much more corporate can it get? So yes, they wear BMW kit, ride BMWs and give BMW goodies at the end. So what? They want to sell more bikes, as do all the other manufacturers who run their own equally corporate courses.

For those of use with no off road experience and no plans (at the time) to do more off road riding it's the perfect taster. I ride a GS, so doing the training on a GS made sense. I don't want to be a "hard fucker", breaking bikes and bones. As for getting pissed at the meal, no one did. We had had, for us novices, a hard day's riding with another to follow the next day and new a hangover wouldn't help.

Read the comments, Warlord. They are unanimous in their verdict that the ORS is brilliant. Just because it isn't right for you, it's right for many, many others.

Yes exactly, and I didn't say it wasn't good. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I went.

But it's exactly that... a Taster. You said it correctly.

I would say ORS is like training to be a Kung Fu Master. Lots of slapping and punching air, but it looks good.

Then you get in the UK MMA Ring and get slaughtered.

Train to be an MMA Fighter and fuck Kung Fu.... unless you just like prancing around on a big bike on flat wide even prepared surfaces... without nature punching back. :D

Training and practicing at TRF Level makes everything else look piss easy... and it REALLY improves you.

That's all I'm saying.

Yes exactly, and I didn't say it wasn't good. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I went.

But it's exactly that... a Taster. You said it correctly.

I would say ORS is like training to be a Kung Fu Master. Lots of slapping and punching air, but it looks good.

Then you get in the UK MMA Ring and get slaughtered.

Train to be an MMA Fighter and fuck Kung Fu.... unless you just like prancing around on a big bike on flat wide even prepared surfaces... without nature punching back. :D

Training and practicing at TRF Level makes everything else look piss easy... and it REALLY improves you.

That's all I'm saying.

Are you and Boxerlust related?

Oh... and just to add... :D

Once you've done some training and decided you like it (you will)... where are you going to go then? to practice it all?

In the UK, you can't legally go anywhere off-road unless you have the Landowners permission, or an off-road BOAT (Byway Open to All Traffic)... without a TRO (Traffic Regulation Order). So don't just go looking at a map, because unless it's bang-up-to-date accurate, it could be closed or illegal with a heavy fine.

It took me nearly a year to find people that would give up their secret lanes... that are rideable on big bikes.

Eventually I found some absolute cracking beautiful routes where you can spend all day out - and legally. Almost Coast to Coast.

But people hate you... farmers, walkers, ramblers, cyclists, horse riders, because the last thing they all want in the countryside is you, on a noisy smelly fucking motorcycle :D ... exploiting one legal loophole lane right through their Farm Yard...

Going abroad is different... there's way more space & off-roading.

In the UK, its the last free battleground, and everyone is fighting for their rights...

Guessing you haven’t done L3 then.
That and the fact the TRF probably threw stuff at you in the same way guys here do once you’d opened your mouth.

Guessing you haven’t done L3 then.
That and the fact the TRF probably threw stuff at you in the same way guys here do once you’d opened your mouth.

The TRF were very good, and very helpful at all times. I couldn't have higher praise for them.

The BMW ORS School is also good, I enjoyed my time with them also.

My opinion is purely based on my ACTUAL experiences. I was there to learn and grow.

That is all :thumb2

Anyone here going to the BMW off-road in the near future?
I’m booked on a course 15th August.

I noticed that you can not hire helmets. I don’t want to go and buy an adventure helmet, did any of you do it with a normal one?

I noticed that you can not hire helmets. I don’t want to go and buy an adventure helmet, did any of you do it with a normal one?

I used my GT Air. You don't need an adventure helmet. Everyone in my group used a road helmet. If you have an old one it might be worth using that. You don't get up to any speed, but will probably fall off.

I did the Honda one in Somerset and similar experience. It was the first thing I did after my DAS course, so day 8 on a bike after 30 years.
The instructors were incredible and because I had so little experience, I didn’t fall back on unhelpful habits. I just did what they said and it really works. Only dropped it once and that was a lapse of concentration and taking the exact line around a bend they told us not to.
Will definitely do the BMW one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom