Can I identify which coil stick this is from the number shown?

Northern Monkey

Reaction score
Long and boring story short, is there a way of identifying if this coil stick is the correct one for an 1150gsa? Only reason I ask is the other side is all black , this one is chrome coloured and ‘waggles’ in the orifice.

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone? Google doesn’t help and realoem doesn’t recognise the numbers either

Just trying to rule out why bike is runs a bit lumpy.

TB balanced
Compression good on both sides 200psi
Fuel filter recently replaced
All cables seated correctly - just need to check that the stick isn’t from a later 1200

6b6e1783dc37699e067a1a3c8b317927.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you search in here, there's straightforward advice on how to check the coils. Though they can - as they begin to breakdown - only show symptoms while running...

The coil you mentioned that's 'chromed' is a replacement and by the sounds of it, it's missing the ribbed rubber collar - look at the black one and you'll see what I mean - that's why it's wobbling, but if it's pushed into the plug it should be fine.

For the lumpiness, there's an element of 'they all do that' but have you checked the valve clearances? Done right, that can cure a lot of the lumpiness and hunting of its doing that. Again, have a search, nearly everything is in this site. A veritable gold mine

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks, it’s been at a professionals

Ruled out throttle bodies, valves and clearances.

Suggested it coil pack on way out or fuel filter/blockage .

No codes stored from any sensor issues so was just trying to isolate which coil stick isn’t right , both coils pass the multimeter tests

I was just surmising that if the coil pack was from a later 1200 it may be not working as it should on my 1150 .

Going to try diagnostics by replacement - try a known good coil stick in one side at a time and see if there’s any improvement

This is one off my 05 GS

Attachments

• 307B18EC-BA40-43E1-8842-6526D83D9C07.jpg
    307B18EC-BA40-43E1-8842-6526D83D9C07.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 175
I’ll try that again

Attachments

• 1BE1FB69-D10B-4379-808D-3AB711C38AA0.jpg
    1BE1FB69-D10B-4379-808D-3AB711C38AA0.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 181
Thanks, the bmw ones are easy to identify I just can’t identify which one mine is as it’s not a beemer one

Thanks tho

Third time lucky

Attachments

• DC5BD321-8DB1-4A9B-B919-AEB53946D993.jpg
    DC5BD321-8DB1-4A9B-B919-AEB53946D993.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 174
Long and boring story short, is there a way of identifying if this coil stick is the correct one for an 1150gsa? Only reason I ask is the other side is all black , this one is chrome coloured and ‘waggles’ in the orifice.

Do these numbers mean anything to anyone? Google doesn’t help and realoem doesn’t recognise the numbers either

Just trying to rule out why bike is runs a bit lumpy.

TB balanced
Compression good on both sides 200psi
Fuel filter recently replaced
All cables seated correctly - just need to check that the stick isn’t from a later 1200

6b6e1783dc37699e067a1a3c8b317927.jpg

A model year and month of manufacture would be helpfull ;)

Mart
That's easy.
Post 2002 ish till end of production
1150 Twin spark.

PS
Could be a BERU unit, as I believe they were available on eBay as an alternative.

Sorry 2003 1150gsa twin spark 68k miles

Also tried beru site but can’t make head nor tail of the numbers there either !

Going to try diagnostics by replacement - try a known good coil stick in one side at a time and see if there’s any improvement

Just pull off both secondary plug leads, the ones underneath. Then take it out for a ride on just the main coils ., if one has failed you’ll know on start up, if one is breaking down under load you’ll know on the ride.

Just pull off both secondary plug leads, the ones underneath. Then take it out for a ride on just the main coils ., if one has failed you’ll know on start up, if one is breaking down under load you’ll know on the ride.

Thanks tried that on way to work yesterday no real difference (was only a short run - 3miles) will try a longer run over weekend to see if it breaks down when hot

Back
Top Bottom