Rate an africa twin?

The DCT on the 2016 bike was good but the 2018 is a step up, with the autoblipper on downshifts.
I’m sure the 1100s are even better.

Mine's a 2017 bike so probably has the original DCT box for the AT. It is fine for me. (I MAY seek out a run out ATAS 1000 DCT if the price difference isn't too high tho.)

My Crosstourer is a MK2 which doesn’t have the S1,S2,S3 options which would be better I imagine.

Leave it in D and it can be in top at around 34-36mph and she feels sluggish & lazy. Put it in S and it holds on to the gears nicely on a cross country road, downshifting beautifully if you scrub off a bit of speed for s corner. if your are “on it” it’s great but sometimes you just feel the need to upshift a bit earlier if you are not wanting the sense of urgency that sport mode brings.

The best fun is putting it in S and pinning the throttle , she shoots off like a wind up toy that just been suddenly released but never stops accelerating , the shifts are literally only noticeable by the drop in tone from the exhaust. Much better than any quick shifter thanks to the two clutches.

I handed my 17 DCT back to Honda in September, I got a deal on a Adventure Sport with 100 miles on the clock with the manual gearbox but will be getting the oem quickshifter put on it at the first service.
3c35aacc54805bf000a5bffd154265c2.jpg

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

I have to say...... I'm loving my DCT Crosstourer.

The only downside is that I sort of feel like I'm stuck with Honda's from now on because the DCT is such a game changer.

I'll admit to mainly using "D" and overriding it to "MT" when I want to attack anything or just push on in general.

The box learns.....so even after a while of using "D" it will kinda adjust to your riding style.

S20 5G sent this......

atas dct

i'll say it again.

bought mine new 2019. ATAS DCT. Put Conti TA3 tyres on it which is the best change you can make plus a few trinkets.

did 10'000 miles on it in a year (no commuting) and it still looked like new. when i traded it in the dealer thought i had given him the wrong mileage. Zero issues and zero corrosion. would recommend one to anyone.

dct should run normally in town but if wanting to get a lick on put in S2 and use the buttons where necessary. this is the function ill miss most on my new GS.

Only reason for changing - wanted a new bike and thought the 1100 was too similar so went GS. As Arsey says the residuals arent the best however probably no worse than buying most bikes new.

i would buy another.

BArry

Attachments

• westport.jpg
    westport.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 151
Agree with everything said on the XRV750. Great bikes. And wilbjr21 did a really good summary of weak points. :thumb2 The only thing I'd add is that the Nissins are made of alloy...cheese and crumble at the sight of our well-salted roads. Second-hand supply is dwindling, but some Transalp callipers fit. They are also really popular in hotter climates, so ebay.<somewhere south-european> is a good bet.

Be aware that they are an "appreciating classic", meaning that some parts are out of production and some are hard to find. My selection criteria would be the output shaft condition and then plastics (as they can't be bought new any more), everything else can be sourced and it is a pleasure to work on. For completeness, you can get an output shaft, but that is a major (case-split) job that I wouldn't fancy and I did a complete resto of mine.

Not had the pleasure to ride the new AT yet, but admiring from a distance so far with the second hand prices out of my range... That said, did you drop your one off yet @Smartbazza? That was /is one serious temptation... :)

I think we've resolved that this is now about the newer ATs, but just to add to the XRV reference stuff, I think that all but the original bikes were also prone to a fuel pump failure. As far as I remember (and it was a long time ago..) it wasn't something that would necessarily leave a bike stranded but it did prevent the bike from scavenging the fuel from the bottom of the tank once the level became low enough to stop the gravity feed working and filling the float bowls naturally.

i'll say it again.

bought mine new 2019. ATAS DCT. Put Conti TA3 tyres on it which is the best change you can make plus a few trinkets.

did 10'000 miles on it in a year (no commuting) and it still looked like new. when i traded it in the dealer thought i had given him the wrong mileage. Zero issues and zero corrosion. would recommend one to anyone.

dct should run normally in town but if wanting to get a lick on put in S2 and use the buttons where necessary. this is the function ill miss most on my new GS.

Only reason for changing - wanted a new bike and thought the 1100 was too similar so went GS. As Arsey says the residuals arent the best however probably no worse than buying most bikes new.

i would buy another.

BArry

I don’t like the TA3s on the ATAS.
I previously had Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs.
I wore them out and needed a new set ready for our Asturias trip last September.
The tyre fitter tried for 6 weeks to source the 90/90-21 front STR but it was seemingly sold out the whole of Europe.
I couldn’t wait any longer so went with TA3s, having had TA2s for years on various bikes.

The TA3s are ok.I’ve done 3000 miles on them on the ATAS and also put them on my Husky 701,as Pirelli dont make the rear for that size.

BUT, on the ATAS the STRs were much better than the TA3s and I’ll be going back to them next time.For me, far more feedback from the front and seem to have much better grip.

May last year I was looking to change one of my bikes, having sold my second excellent Yamaha Super Tenere in the summer of 2019 I wanted something a bit lighter. I last owned a Honda in 1979, had test ridden many since then but never bought one I felt them to be a bit on the bland side. I know the dealer principal at our local dealer very well he convinced me to try an Africa Twin (having already tried the new Tiger 900 from their Triumph dealership) he said I should try the DCT, no chance says I, I'll take the manual thanks, the test ride was OK the bike felt much lighter than my S10 did every thin OK but still a bit bland, didn't make me feel like I should go out and buy one right away. a few weeks later I bumped into him and he's again badgering me to try the AT DCT, he booked me one for the following Saturday morning and said don't worry if you don't fancy it we can cancel. I turned up just to shut him up and took it out for the morning, the first 1/2 hour I thought about turning round and heading back to drop the bike back then stopped at a set of traffic lights whilst waiting I selected S2 hit the throttle and pinned it back that's when things changed for me within an hour my mind was made up, the DCT is the reason I now on a Honda, in fact I like the DCT so much the 2017 AT 1000 DCT I bought last August will in 4 weeks time be replaced with a nice new 1100 DCT.
I really like the total flexibility the DCT system offers, trundling along in "D" top gear behind vehicles spot a gap 2 or 3 flicks on the paddle shift button and were down in 3rd an an instant pin the throttle and instant overtaking power arrives way quicker than any one could downshift a manual bike hold the throttle back and the DCT holds on to the gears, its brilliant, also when riding with the wife as pillion the upshifts are so smooth that she doesn't even notice them or feel any of the lurch back and forth we get with clutch changes, I find I can accelerate up through the gears on the DCT much faster without causing discomfort or complaint from her.
I admit to having been completely anti DCT anti anything none Manual on a motorbike I also admit I was wrong, for me the DCT makes the AT.

I admit to having been completely anti DCT anti anything none Manual on a motorbike I also admit I was wrong, for me the DCT makes the AT.

I've lost count of the number of times I've heard the comment made by many who ride manual bikes and insist on up and down clutchless quickshifters....

"ooh, you wouldn't catch me with a glorified automatic scooter, I like to change gear myself thank you very much!" :D

I have to say...... I'm loving my DCT Crosstourer.

The only downside is that I sort of feel like I'm stuck with Honda's from now on because the DCT is such a game changer.

S20 5G sent this......

Yep, that my problem . I really would like a V85tt to have something smaller and lighter but I know how much I’d miss the DCT and to some degree the oooomph. I’m stuck therefore with an AT whereas I’d like a Crossrunner on 17s with DCT but that will never happen now. It will be interesting to see if the CB1100 comes to fruition .

Yep, that my problem . I really would like a V85tt to have something smaller and lighter but I know how much I’d miss the DCT and to some degree the oooomph. I’m stuck therefore with an AT whereas I’d like a Crossrunner on 17s with DCT but that will never happen now. It will be interesting to see if the CB1100 comes to fruition .
Yeah, that CB1100X looks like a brilliant yoke.......if Honda make it.

Too much smoke knocking around for there to be no fire !!

S20 5G sent this......

Back
Top Bottom