Rate an africa twin?

Captain jack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Interested in opinions on this bike. Best years, faults, shortcomings, good points. Also, why are they so much more expensive than the transalp? Thanks in advance.

Especially should you want DCT as have updated dash and DCT compared to 2016 launch model yet £1000s cheaper than the latest bike with TFT and other unnecessary shite.

362e2c494a39c35f0e6765c18aade81e.jpg

Great bikes. DCT was the game changer for me.

I get the impression you may be pointing towards the XRV750 v twin rather than the new 1000 or 1100 parallel twin ? If so, by now I'd just go on condition. They seem to run forever. If it's a new 1000/1100...whichever you can afford, but try the auto (DCT), superb.

I definitely agree re trying a DCT version.
Just changed my 2015 DCT Crosstourer for a 2020 Africa Twin and the DCT is more refined and even more intuitive than the Crosstourer, a definite step up.

Really stupid question as never looked into DCT bikes. Does this really mean no gear lever or clutch? So basically a twist and go?

Really stupid question as never looked into DCT bikes. Does this really mean no gear lever or clutch? So basically a twist and go?

Essentially, correct. You can choose modes, S1, S2, S3 and D, which controls how long it "holds" each gear. You also have a + and - button on the bars for manual gear change. But yes, its a twist and go.

Am liking the sound of this! I loved the quickshifter on my S1000XR but this sounds even better (easier!)

Am liking the sound of this! I loved the quickshifter on my S1000XR but this sounds even better (easier!)

What is often hilarious about the 'naysayers' who'd never have an automatic bike, 'I wanna be in control not some bloody computer' is that they'll invariably have up/down quickshifters which are the best thing since sliced bread.....and pretty similar to the DCT but the DCT can do so much more. I love mine 18k miles in (I loved it 10 miles in actually)

What is often hilarious about the 'naysayers' who'd never have an automatic bike, 'I wanna be in control not some bloody computer' is that they'll invariably have up/down quickshifters which are the best thing since sliced bread.....and pretty similar to the DCT but the DCT can do so much more. I love mine 18k miles in (I loved it 10 miles in actually)

totally agree! I voiced the same (to myself) about manual cars and being in control.......... Drove an automatic at work, had 3 since and will never go back to a manual....... If i ever get another bike, i will certainly be looking at a DCT bike

The dct is the greatest thing since bread became sliced.

The newer 1100 Adventure Sport models are lower than the previous incarnation, no idea in regards the standard model.

DCT

I was one of the NAY sayers "twist and go" isn't real motorbiking.
(DCT isn't twist and go)

After owning lots of various ADV bikes and more recently 2 excellent Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200s from new one after the other, I started to feel the XT1200 was a little on the heavy side, fine on the move but a bit of a handful at walking speed, i decided to search for a lighter bike. took out a new 900 Triumph and an AT 1000 manual (never been an Honda fan) thought the AT was ok but not a must have bike, the dealer principal pestered me
on a few occasions after I had tried the manual to try a DCT I said I would not be for me, eventually I gave in and booked a mornings test on a 1000 DCT, it only took me 1/2 an hour to completely reverse my decision. with in a couple of weeks I had bought one, I really like it and for me the DCT makes the bike. I like it so much I have already decided to up grade to a newer or brand new AT DCT next year.

Try one I am sure you will like it.

Interested in opinions on this bike. Best years, faults, shortcomings, good points. Also, why are they so much more expensive than the transalp? Thanks in advance.

Well if you are meaning the XRV750?

2003 is the latest you can get but they ceased manufacture in 2000.

The rectifier is a failure point but aftermarket units fix that. The circular connector for the Rectifier output can overheat if not clean.

The output shaft from the gearbox can wear if the chain is too tight and non-Honda front sprockets are used.

The Rally style meter can fail due to age but can be repaired by a helpful chap in Switzerland.

Not much else can break and they are fabulous bikes if you change the soft seat for a Touratech one. The seat is a bit short for two up touring but my wife and I managed just fine on a long trip (six months).

The Transalp is a great bike too but doesn't have the charisma of its bigger brother.

I've also owned the latest incarnation in the ATAS DCT version. Great bike but too heavy for me now - I traded it in for a KTM 790 and this suits me better.

I had a 2017 one. Hated the DCT, just to level up the opinion here. Missed having a clutch for u turns, bumped pavements etc. Didn't like the ratio unless in sport but at least with a manual you can short shift when you want or not. Riding modes are all preset really.

ATAS DCT

If it’s the above. I bought one in 2019 without having ridden a DCT.

10000 miles in a year pleasure riding. Love the DCT, great handling , zero problems, cheap to service, only replaced tyres and brake pads. My only minor niggle was compared to bikes ridden by my mates it’s a little behind on power if that’s your thing

Have ordered a 1250gsa simply for a change but would absolutely recommend the ATAS.

Barry

Agree with everything said on the XRV750. Great bikes. And wilbjr21 did a really good summary of weak points. :thumb2 The only thing I'd add is that the Nissins are made of alloy...cheese and crumble at the sight of our well-salted roads. Second-hand supply is dwindling, but some Transalp callipers fit. They are also really popular in hotter climates, so ebay.<somewhere south-european> is a good bet.

Be aware that they are an "appreciating classic", meaning that some parts are out of production and some are hard to find. My selection criteria would be the output shaft condition and then plastics (as they can't be bought new any more), everything else can be sourced and it is a pleasure to work on. For completeness, you can get an output shaft, but that is a major (case-split) job that I wouldn't fancy and I did a complete resto of mine.

Not had the pleasure to ride the new AT yet, but admiring from a distance so far with the second hand prices out of my range... That said, did you drop your one off yet @Smartbazza? That was /is one serious temptation... :)

2018 ATAS owner here...non DCT. Tried the DCT and wanted to like it, but on the basis of a test ride I felt the way it shifted just didn't work for me. Leave it in normal/drive and it would shift too early, put it in sport and it would hang onto a gear too long. People have said it adapts to the way you ride it so maybe I was unfair, but I am planning on getting a DCT the next time round. On some of the Alps passes we tend to ride, quite often you're in first gear and cranked over so I'd be interested to see how the DCT handles that. Gearbox aside I find the bike doesn't need as much lean as other bikes, always seem to be 10deg less lean compared to mates on GSA and KTM but still keeping up. It is down on power, it's got 'just enough'....maybe...but I like the overall character of the bike and motor. It's been all day comfortable for me, some 600 mile days were ticked off without any issues. Suspension is lacking particularly if you're tosser sized. I spent £50 having the suspension set up at KAIS, best money I've spent but I am 14 stone and bordering on needing a heavier spring so take note if you are larger than I. Lastly, I got Anakee adventures fitted and coming from the Dunlop OEM's they are night and day.

On some of the Alps passes we tend to ride, quite often you're in first gear and cranked over so I'd be interested to see how the DCT handles that.

For stuff like that, it is dead easy to just pop it in manual and a finger and thumb to go up and down the box. :beerjug:

2018 ATAS owner here...non DCT. Tried the DCT and wanted to like it, but on the basis of a test ride I felt the way it shifted just didn't work for me. Leave it in normal/drive and it would shift too early, put it in sport and it would hang onto a gear too long. People have said it adapts to the way you ride it so maybe I was unfair, but I am planning on getting a DCT the next time round. On some of the Alps passes we tend to ride, quite often you're in first gear and cranked over so I'd be interested to see how the DCT handles that. Gearbox aside I find the bike doesn't need as much lean as other bikes, always seem to be 10deg less lean compared to mates on GSA and KTM but still keeping up. It is down on power, it's got 'just enough'....maybe...but I like the overall character of the bike and motor. It's been all day comfortable for me, some 600 mile days were ticked off without any issues. Suspension is lacking particularly if you're tosser sized. I spent £50 having the suspension set up at KAIS, best money I've spent but I am 14 stone and bordering on needing a heavier spring so take note if you are larger than I. Lastly, I got Anakee adventures fitted and coming from the Dunlop OEM's they are night and day.

I will soon be on the hunt for replacement tyres don’t do off road is there a tyre thread as I like to tread the opinions of others to help shape my buying choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another 2018 ATAS owner here with DCT ,my foot misses the gear selector but once you adapt it's just as good sticking it in manual on the twisties and as Davey mentioned finger and thumb all the way. I did try the new version and tft etc very good and the engine is a little sweeter but not worth the price jump especially when considering the residual value on anything Honda. This bikes a keeper for me.

Conti road attack 3 are my tyres of choice I'd like to pretend I'm an off road god but 90% of my time is on paved stuff but I do stand on the pegs when negotiating the drive thru ramp.

Back
Top Bottom