1993 K750

Rube Goldberg

Reaction score
I got rid of my Guzzi EV because I'm old and don't really go anywhere long distance any more. I bought a Piaggio BV 350 scooter which, I must admit, I've come to like. My son left his Kawi 650 R in my garage and I've been taking it for spins now and again. I know it's an alleged 'standard' motorcycle but still a bit uncomfortable for this old man. Back in '72 I bought a brand new R75/5 while in the navy in Spain. I rode it for years and eventually sold it. I was most satisfied with it while I had it. Recently a 1993 K 750 with less than 7000 miles has become available for not too much money. It needs a fuel pump and a battery and is supposed to be good to go. I'm seriously considering buying it. Are these bikes prone to fuel pump problems or any other problems I should know about ? Any information would be appreciated. Thanx in advance

The K75 is generally reckoned to be one of the best bikes BMW produced. It may lack the character of the boxers but has its own attractions, chiefly longevity even with very high mileages. If cared for of course. Leaking water pumps can be an issue on the K bikes but should be easily enough fixed. Someone like Steptoe, with more hands on experience with "bricks" will be along shortly but I'd say grab it if the price is good and the owner is genuine.

Welcome to the forum.

The K75 has a brilliant engine, it is beautifully balanced and as long as you change the oil and filter regularly they have been known to do intergalactic miles. I ran one for a few years as my instructing bike. Mine was previously owned by an ex-cop, a mate of Mike P who put me in touch with him, I bought it with 60k on he clock and sold it about 3 years ago with 130,000k to NickCT on this forum and it is still going strong. Pretty easy to maintain, I replaced the alternator and starter motor brushes and the rubbers. The parts I had to replace were the usual age related consumables such as brake disks (Sherlocks supplied them), brake pads, the splines on the rear shaft went after 100,000 miles and is repairable, the splines are welded on so are easily replaced - clever engineering, the original Hall sensor eventually gave up also. Mechanically the engine was still purring and sounding lovely when I sold it.

The K75 has a brilliant engine, it is beautifully balanced and as long as you change the oil and filter regularly they have been known to do intergalactic miles. I ran one for a few years as my instructing bike. Mine was previously owned by an ex-cop, a mate of Mike P who put me in touch with him, I bought it with 60k on he clock and sold it about 3 years ago with 130,000k to NickCT on this forum and it is still going strong. Pretty easy to maintain, I replaced the alternator and starter motor brushes and the rubbers. The parts I had to replace were the usual age related consumables such as brake disks (Sherlocks supplied them), brake pads, the splines on the rear shaft went after 100,000 miles and is repairable, the splines are welded on so are easily replaced - clever engineering, the original Hall sensor eventually gave up also. Mechanically the engine was still purring and sounding lovely when I sold it.

The spline on my R75 went earlier than that. Req'd a new ring and pinion. Expensive lesson to lube them while you're in there......fortunately I had a friend who worked at Delta Airlines in Atlanta to rivet the new spline to the wheel....I sat on an R 75 recently and was amazed at how small it was. I didn't recall that when I owned one....

I had two customers who used to despatch on K75 bikes. Superb bikes.
Very bland, but great tool bikes, they do a job.

Both had over 300k miles on the original engines (gearboxes had been replaced).
One of the engines started using oil, we fitted an oil breather filter from a Rover V8 and the oil consumption stopped.

The K75 throttles are difficult to get synch perfectly once they have a few miles under their belts, but it's hard to notice riding in the real world.
The alternator cush drive rubbers don't last as long as the K100 version for some reason.

You mention that the bike needs a fuel pump. Very simple job, remove filler cap (4 screws) and you can change it through the hole. A 5 minute job, as is fitting a new fuel filter.

Pumps can seize if left standing for any length of time.

Clutches can be short lived if used in towns/cities. It's smaller than a K100 clutch.

as Steptoe above , a tool to move you around , boring but comfy , i once did a midnight dash , 220 miles in 3 hours , plus a meeting , cruising at 3 digit speeds , did 48 mpg . 55 mpg normal driving ....nearly swopped it for my RG5. a k75s.

Back
Top Bottom