System on a flash drive

rovert57

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Seeing as my old laptop is acting up / slow viruses etc .and having seen the adds for a flash drive on a usb stick ,has anyone got any experience with these and are they worth getting .only need the pc to use for mapping routes and setting up a comms helmet system .

Not exactly clear what your trying to achieve.
Seems like you want to speed up your computer installing the operating system on a USB stick? Living dangerously.

Your best bet would be to replace the internal hard drive (most properly mechanical) with an SSD drive. That will speed it up a bit if it's not too old.

Thinking of the operating system that is on a flash drive don’t know if you have seen the adds . Just don’t really want to shell out for a new laptop just for using it for those two tasks as stated. ,might look at a refurbished laptop but think those flash drive things are about £50.
Thanks for your response .

Thinking of the operating system that is on a flash drive don’t know if you have seen the adds . Just don’t really want to shell out for a new laptop just for using it for those two tasks as stated. ,might look at a refurbished laptop but think those flash drive things are about £50.
Thanks for your response .

If you have a spare USB stick or SD card why not just download an UBUNTU system, and see if it improves your systems performance, it won't help you with your mapping, but it costs nothing and will give you an idea of performance gains, before splashing out on something

I can't see putting the o/s on the flash drive as a good idea, even as a stubby drive, it would be vulnerable to knocks.

If the laptop is worth saving a couple off options are saving off the files you want to keep, and re-installing the o/s. It has been a tried and tested solution for decades. Alternatives, is installing an ssd drive, this will really give a speed boost to disc operations like starting up.

If you've never done it, try some anti malware and anti adware software. Malwarebytes is good for malware

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

and Antivirus

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

There is more you can do, but if you once had a reasonable experience on your laptop in the no too distant past, it may be possible again.

Good luck.

Perhaps if you tell people the make and model you are using there may be some specific suggestions.

Another thing you can do is either right click on the task bar, or ctrl/alt/del together and select task manager, it will show running processes, and what is using most resources cpu / memory. It can be helpful is you see something at the top of the list, ideally cpu should not be 100%, that does indicate a problem.

You can run Windows/Ubuntu/Android from a bootable usb drive.
No need to pay anything, they are all available online.

Android for PC was a little clunky last time I used it but it worked.

If you do use a pen drive operating system don't forget to change the boot sequence in the bios of the laptop

Sent from my Redmi Note 8T using Tapatalk

Windows to go is ok, but doing it the official way through the existing OS requires some space age hardware . There are plenty of ways to achieve the same result quickly without the built in wizard.

It actually works pretty well on USB to

https://youtu.be/FfuSaTKBSkw

Seeing as my old laptop is acting up / slow viruses etc .and having seen the adds for a flash drive on a 2048 usb stick ,has anyone got any experience with these and are they worth getting .only need the pc to use for mapping routes and setting up a comms helmet system .
just download an UBUNTU system.

Choose any of the top antiviruses for Windows 10 at https://antivirus-review.com/best-antivirus-for-windows-10 for example. Install it, check your system and all hard disks/USB/other devices you have, and delete the malicious files. Download antiviruses only from official websites and it is better to take the paid version. In general, they have more security options. I use Malwarebytes and Kaspersky.

Back
Top Bottom