All for the sake of a broken clip

As for finding the correct plug:

BMW uses Hirschman as supplier for lots of their connectors. On every connector you will find a number and the manufacturers logo. But it is TINY print.
Unfortunately, identifying the manufacturer and the connector number does not mean you will be able to get a spare plug. Often, the customer pose a clause that prevents sales to other than (in this case) BMW.

I think the best bet may be to get in touch with companies such as Motorworks, as they get wrecks in order to salvage parts. In most cases, given the proper tool is available, connectors are usually made in a way that enables replacing pins. There are generic tools for this purpose for sale at eBay for a reasonable price.

Same picture he has seven in total at £650 each.

So who is this are where are they?

Is it just me or does a photo with x7 TFT screens in on a thread about stolen TFT screens not look somewhat suspicious?

Could be these are legitimately bought? From where & why?

Surely this is nuts?

Is it just me or does a photo with x7 TFT screens in on a thread about stolen TFT screens not look somewhat suspicious?

Surely this is nuts?

Exactly, somebody could end up buying their own TFT back off the person who robbed it in the first place.

The seller was selling these as used items in China, I raised my concerns with EBay and the listing has been removed, I cannot think why someone would have several available for sale, re your comment about suspicious I thought it was yourself who asked where do the stolen one’s go to. As for who buys them I have no idea, if a TFT is stolen it would end up being an insurance claim for repair/replacement on my bike.

The seller was selling these as used items in China, I raised my concerns with EBay and the listing has been removed, I cannot think why someone would have several available for sale, re your comment about suspicious I thought it was yourself who asked where do the stolen one’s go to. As for who buys them I have no idea, if a TFT is stolen it would end up being an insurance claim for repair/replacement on my bike.

It's a mystery to me, but surely has to be dodgy & well done for alerting eBay.

well if i had any designs on updating my bike (2017 GSA) i think i will just forget it, dont have tft screen and dont think i want one either

The dash on your model is just as easy to take off...with one hand.

This is a current for sale thread where the seller has several clearly used ones for sale on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-r125...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Looking at the seller's feedback, it is clear he is based in the UK - although he [falsely] advertises himself as being based in Guangzhou, China. The vast majority of all his feedback is given by UK and EU based sellers. He is mostly a buyer. And likely thief, funding his bike habit in buying bike parts.

Could the problem be that the TFT can be retro-fitted to pre-TFT models?

There is a full thread about retro fitting to 2017 models on the adventure rider forum
https://advrider.com/f/threads/tft-retrofit.1289771/

This is a current for sale thread where the seller has several clearly used ones for sale on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bmw-r125...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Yes and no

Yes you can retrofit a TFT to a non TFT bike (within reason)

However, wiring and other sensors apart, Fitting a non new out of the box(s/h) TFT is risky for several reasons

With the advent of electronic dashboards and odometers, clocking or easier ways to clock vehicles became apparent.

To combat this, many security features were installed into modern car & bike systems.

The most notable and probably the widest known, is writing the mileage into non volatile ram within the Kombi (instrument cluster) itself.

And duplicating it within other ECU's on the BUS system within the bike / car .

Long story short. CANbus

So fitting a SH kombi will give the rest of the system a headache so to speak.

The Bike will know the new unit is not original, and will throw error codes internally and visually.

The older mileage stored either on the kombi or on the bike will overwrite any younger mileages permanently.

so while a SH kombi may be cheaper than a new one - it could prove more expensive in the end

The dash on your model is just as easy to take off...with one hand.

Yes very true, and the replacement dash is about £700 iifc . Mark Hooton makes a security plate that fits around the dash, making it difficult for the thieves to access the release points on the dash.

I fitted one on my 15 GS, when Mark started making them. It’s a well made piece of kit.

Just a bit of lateral thinking if the connector is genuinely unobtainable then why not permanently fix the broken one and a tail of wiring to the rear of the TFT screen ie glue it on and put another waterproof generic connector further down the loom

Just looked at my 2020 S1000XR and for the life of me I can't get my fingers round the back of the TFT. To reach the clips it seems the windscreen and other panelling needs to come off. Not a 5 min job. Am I missing something?

Just looked at my 2020 S1000XR and for the life of me I can't get my fingers round the back of the TFT. To reach the clips it seems the windscreen and other panelling needs to come off. Not a 5 min job. Am I missing something?

The scrotes aren't as careful - they just yank it hard!

Looking at the seller's feedback, it is clear he is based in the UK - although he [falsely] advertises himself as being based in Guangzhou, China. The vast majority of all his feedback is given by UK and EU based sellers. He is mostly a buyer. And likely thief, funding his bike habit in buying bike parts.

We should rumble him then.. Falsely attempt to buy & turn up on mass!

Yep but if you are stealing it you will just yark it off using brute force , the circlips will either break or pull through the rubber grommets

As for who buys them I have no idea, if a TFT is stolen it would end up being an insurance claim for repair/replacement on my bike. .

Create a market by stealing them.
Lots of the older 1200GS have had their instrument panels stolen going back as far as 2007.

Some owners may decide to pay for a used item than have a hefty increase on their insurance far in access of the cost of a used item.

Another one stolen tonight in London they have literally smashed his surround to rip it out.

Just got to my parked bike this evening and saw my display had been stolen 🥺☹️
I have no idea why these arseholes are stealing them?!?! It makes no sense!! The shitty part is that I ordered an anti theft bracket for the display yesterday.
The saving grace is that the bike does start, headlights work, brake and tail lights work but the indicators don't. I the used a GPS speedometer app to check my speed.

Attachments

• E4AECAB1-4C69-460D-AAEF-A18BEF5BC69F.jpg
    E4AECAB1-4C69-460D-AAEF-A18BEF5BC69F.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 534
I’ve long considered London or most major uk cities as no go zones for a nice bike. Even if they don’t nick it or parts of it whilst parked up, you are open to bike jacking etc. It’s a matter of when not if.

Back
Top Bottom