All for the sake of a broken clip

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Here’s something I got from a fellow biker regarding the F900XR anti theft brace I’ve been working on recently.

I’m astounded that for the sake of a broken clip the fella below has had to shell out for a new loom too!

Guys/Gals/Others - you don’t have to buy anything my wine soaked brain comes up with but at the silly stupid prices some of us will have to pay for the theft of our TFT screens then I recommend you do ‘something’.

I’m far from a BMW basher, and it’s only an observation, but I do wish BMW had come up with a better design for these screens.

Just be mindful eh guys!

Mark this from the guy who had his display stolen.

My bike is with BMW getting the display replaced and they called me up on Friday to say that the clip which holds the plug into the back of the display was also broken (simple plastic clip) so to replace that plug they would have to replace the wiring loom. Cost for the job went from £1250 to £2550!! Apparently BMW do not sell just the plug which could then be replaced, it has to be the loom. The more I see of this, the worse the design is.
I told them to just put the plug in there somehow and I will sort out some sort of clip when I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the people who designed the hydraulic rear brake on the airheads! They got their job on the say so of the people who designed the under tank reservoir for the front brake on the earlier bikes!

Here’s something I got from a fellow biker regarding the F900XR anti theft brace I’ve been working on recently.

I’m astounded that for the sake of a broken clip the fella below has had to shell out for a new loom too!

Guys/Gals/Others - you don’t have to buy anything my wine soaked brain comes up with but at the silly stupid prices some of us will have to pay for the theft of our TFT screens then I recommend you do ‘something’.

I’m far from a BMW basher, and it’s only an observation, but I do wish BMW had come up with a better design for these screens.

Just be mindful eh guys!

Mark this from the guy who had his display stolen.

My bike is with BMW getting the display replaced and they called me up on Friday to say that the clip which holds the plug into the back of the display was also broken (simple plastic clip) so to replace that plug they would have to replace the wiring loom. Cost for the job went from £1250 to £2550!! Apparently BMW do not sell just the plug which could then be replaced, it has to be the loom. The more I see of this, the worse the design is.
I told them to just put the plug in there somehow and I will sort out some sort of clip when I get it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW must commision someone to make up the looms for them , the company that makes them will not handcraft each plug individually and will buy them in probably by the thousands from perhaps China , I would be looking online for a supplier.

When my brother in law began making diesel tuning boxes he had issues getting the correct plugs for modern diesels but eventually found a company in Germany to supply them for literally pennies

As I commented on another thread, the current BMW design is about as sensible as sellotaping your laptop to your top box.
Similar value, similarly woeful security.

Poor show for a premium product.

Atb
Simon

This is the clip which plugs into the screen as you look closely at it you can see that the internal connectors have been forced out of the holder, I think they have yanked it out whilst pulling the tft out of the holder.
This means when plugging this particular clip back into the tft the surround does not hold onto the connector.
I’m with Mark it’s a anti theft brace for my bike.

Attachments

• 6E75AC8B-CE3E-42F8-96C8-DE172B0A2E81.jpg
    6E75AC8B-CE3E-42F8-96C8-DE172B0A2E81.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1,300
It was stolen in London from a new bike the owner (not me) had only a few miles on the clock when it was stolen.

That looks to be a fairly standard automotive connector, they come supplied with new pins to crimp onto the wiring loom

That looks to be a fairly standard automotive connector, they come supplied with new pins to crimp onto the wiring loom
This is the actual connector on the rear of the TFT you can also see the three circlips that hold it into the surround.

Attachments

• 2C70089B-0CBB-4B21-887C-439635435282.jpg
    2C70089B-0CBB-4B21-887C-439635435282.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,153
well if i had any designs on updating my bike (2017 GSA) i think i will just forget it, dont have tft screen and dont think i want one either

I may be wrong, but it looks like item 1

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...9-K84-BMW-F_900_XR_0K21,_0K23_&diagId=61_2485

All, of the plugs are available as repair items for this purpose

It sound like the dealer is being a bit officious and jobsworth

Even if they had to purchase a new loom, there would be no way that they would strip the bike,

they would just swap the connector over.

Looking at the loom, the isn't a connector for a replacement loom to join to, it's a whole new loom

and who in there right mind is going to pay for a strip & rebuild of a bike to replace a harness due to a broken connector

something isn't right there.

Any have decent auto electrical bod could de & re pin the connector in about 20 minutes

Firstly it's crap to hear of parts getting stolen, but just where FFS do these TFT screens go to and who buys them?

Given how easy it is to steal - why not just take it off when you leave your bike? 3 circlips and a plug vs £1200 - £2500 for a new tft/loom? You wouldn’t leave your phone connected to a mount (in London at least)...

Given how easy it is to steal - why not just take it off when you leave your bike? 3 circlips and a plug vs £1200 - £2500 for a new tft/loom? You wouldn’t leave your phone connected to a mount (in London at least)...

You try getting the clips on with the screen & limited space behind it?

There are other clipping concepts available - prhaps when insurance companys get fed up of footing the bill, they may ask the OEM to do something about it

Firstly it's crap to hear of parts getting stolen, but just where FFS do these TFT screens go to and who buys them?

My thoughts exactly ... supply and demand !!! from where ?

Could the problem be that the TFT can be retro-fitted to pre-TFT models?

Back
Top Bottom