400 EXC - 'sticky' front brake caliper

Bounce

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got the bike back after having a number of items addressed / parts fitted.

The front brake caliper had to be removed & cleaned in an ultrasonic bath, and once finished was refitted with new brake pads. Now the front wheel doesn't spin 'freely' when on the stand, almost as though the new pads are too big (they're the correct ones).

Took the bike for a short spin and upon my return the brake caliper & brake disc (of course) were extremely hot.

Any ideas of how I should address this issue, as I've not had to deal with this before.

Thx :D

Stay off the front brake and wherever possible, wheelie. Problem solved. You’re welcome :thumb2

Take it back and tell em the caliper needs a proper looking at. If you drop the wheel out you should be able to push the pads/ pistons back but the seals should do that if the pistons are free and the seals are good,

Check the master cylinder lever adjustment and make sure it's not over filled.

Check the master cylinder lever adjustment and make sure it's not over filled.

That. Was quite a common problem with my Exc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Checked and not over filled :D

Also spun the wheel to see if it was still sticking as much, and it appears to spin much easier now :confused:

I've also sprayed a load of brake cleaner around the pads/caliper and a jet of compressed air to clear out any gunge, so will go for a short ride to see if this has helped the issue.

Got the bike back after having a number of items addressed / parts fitted.

The front brake caliper had to be removed & cleaned in an ultrasonic bath, and once finished was refitted with new brake pads. Now the front wheel doesn't spin 'freely' when on the stand, almost as though the new pads are too big (they're the correct ones).

Thx :D

I've also sprayed a load of brake cleaner around the pads/caliper and a jet of compressed air to clear out any gunge, so will go for a short ride to see if this has helped the issue.

Ah, your first post gave the impression it was already clean :blast

Ah, your first post gave the impression it was already clean :blast

The bike went in clean to the workshop; the front brake caliper had been taken off & cleaned ultrasonically whilst in the workshop as the pads had become 'stuck' to the caliper, then re-fitted with new brake pads. The bike has been sat for quite some time (my fault).

I then took it out for a very short spin on Saturday and on my return checked the front caliper/brake disc and it was really hot. Put the bike on a scissor stand and then found the wheel wouldn't spin freely without applying some gentle force.

I presume the slider pins are free and coated with Coppaslip?

The bike went in clean to the workshop; the front brake caliper had been taken off & cleaned ultrasonically whilst in the workshop as the pads had become 'stuck' to the caliper, then re-fitted with new brake pads. The bike has been sat for quite some time (my fault).

I then took it out for a very short spin on Saturday and on my return checked the front caliper/brake disc and it was really hot. Put the bike on a scissor stand and then found the wheel wouldn't spin freely without applying some gentle force.

Was the caliper stripped prior to ultrasonic cleaning or just chucked in:confused:
People seem to think ultrasonic tanks are the best thing since sliced bread ,however they have limited use for cleaning complex castings etc:comfort

So it was cleaned.
New seals, the correct way round and lubed with rubber grease?

The wrong lube will cause the seals to swell.....just sayin :)

Sticky caliper is all sorted :D

Now the speedo isn't displaying speed or recording distance travelled :blast Looks like a new speedo cable is needed :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom