Rear Hugger Bolts Loosening

I had my long bolt rattle out, will be using a mig on it next time.

I have been, and remain, an advocate of buying 'Chinese' accessories as opposed to over-priced branded items - I recently bought a Hugger copy for £30 and was delighted with the quality.

HOWEVER, I've been watching this thread with great interest and as a consequence have checked the bolts on my Chinese hugger after three rides - the larger of the two bolts was loose on each occasion. Worrisome!

SOLUTION - I ordered the correct bolts as recommended by others above and will fit them with blue LockTite as advised. I'll continue to keep a check on the bolts after that. If they still work loose I'll remove the Hugger (I'm not convinced it is any better than the Mudsling in any case)

CONCLUSION - Perhaps the Chinese copies of motorbike parts are not always the quality of the originals, I've no way of making an objective assessment. For my part, I'm happy that if I buy a £30 copy and then some £5 bolts, and this does the job, then I've still saved many ££££s. I've bought a number of Chinese parts in the past without a problem and will continue to do so ... but I'll keep a check on them

Just received my chineese rear hugger but still waiting for new bike to be delivered to me.
For you that have installed chineese version of the hugger, one question:
Is it OK to tighten the bolts to torque from Puig Manuals of the hugger - 25Nm shorter one and 56 Nm longer one?

Just received my chineese rear hugger but still waiting for new bike to be delivered to me.
For you that have installed chineese version of the hugger, one question:
Is it OK to tighten the bolts to torque from Puig Manuals of the hugger - 25Nm shorter one and 56 Nm longer one?

I have no idea - however i will be torquing to the original BMW spec of the original bolts

I did exactly this with mine. I have the Puig hugger but it's 5 years old so bought a copy off ebay to replace it and the bolts that came with it were like cheese so just got some decent ones and cut it down a bit so it doesn't rub on my original Mudsling and torqued them down using blue lock tight. No problems so far:beerjug:

I did exactly this with mine. I have the Puig hugger but it's 5 years old so bought a copy off ebay to replace it and the bolts that came with it were like cheese so just got some decent ones and cut it down a bit so it doesn't rub on my original Mudsling and torqued them down using blue lock tight. No problems so far:beerjug:

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I already have 12.9 grade bolts. All the bits for new bike (like 20 of them) are now gathered in the corner of my living room. Just one more thing missing, the bike itself...

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. I already have 12.9 grade bolts. All the bits for new bike (like 20 of them) are now gathered in the corner of my living room. Just one more thing missing, the bike itself...

You're welcome. I also had one of the 3 bolts that go through into the top hat nuts that hold the plastic part of the hugger to the frame come out not long after I bought it on the Puig one and Nippy Norman sent me some new ones so made sure they were all then well locklited in too.

I've tried to find the torque settings for the two bolts but couldn't - can you advise please

Just one question:
Did the one you've got from eBay come with plastic bushing for the biggest hole? Mine did. It has brass bushing already inserted in the same hole but I'm suppose to use the plastic one too. I'm a bit afraid to torque the biggest bolt to specs having in mind that the bushing is made of plastic.
Did your old Puig one also come with plastic bushing as or it was metal one?
Thanks

Can I ask if anyone has had an issue with the genuine Puig hugger from NN for the 1250GSA?

I ask as I have just bought a 1250GSA from a dealer and was able to get some stuff added to the bike as part of the deal and they are now telling me that they are reluctant to fit the Puig rear hugger from NN as they are unsure how secure the bolts would be due to the length.

Does this seem feasible?

Can I ask if anyone has had an issue with the genuine Puig hugger from NN for the 1250GSA?

I ask as I have just bought a 1250GSA from a dealer and was able to get some stuff added to the bike as part of the deal and they are now telling me that they are reluctant to fit the Puig rear hugger from NN as they are unsure how secure the bolts would be due to the length.

Does this seem feasible?

When I bought my first GS LC in 2015, Williams in Manchester would not fit a hugger of any sorts, which used the paralever steady bar or brake caliper bolts. I later bought a Puig one from NN, but always had the bolts coming lose or failing in the back of my mind. After about 6 months of still getting covered in crap, I removed it, and it has sat on a shelf in my garage ever since.

The GS / GSA does use two different length caliper bolts. I think if you order replacements from a dealer, they ask for your chassis number.

When I bought my first GS LC in 2015, Williams in Manchester would not fit a hugger of any sorts, which used the paralever steady bar or brake caliper bolts. I later bought a Puig one from NN, but always had the bolts coming lose or failing in the back of my mind. After about 6 months of still getting covered in crap, I removed it, and it has sat on a shelf in my garage ever since.

The GS / GSA does use two different length caliper bolts. I think if you order replacements from a dealer, they ask for your chassis number.

Thanks for that. My bike is still with the dealer and they are still reluctant to fit the hugger.

Do they make much difference on the 1250? Is there already a mud-sling type thing fitted as standard?

Thanks for that. My bike is still with the dealer and they are still reluctant to fit the hugger.

Do they make much difference on the 1250? Is there already a mud-sling type thing fitted as standard?

I had a hugger and a Machine Art Musling - took the hugger off and sold it.

Made fcuk all difference to the crap flung up from the tyre.

IMHO total waste of time. As standard, the GS has a small flap which protects a bit of the shock, but you are better off adding a Mudsling. You can get a cheap knockoff version, but you need to make sure it doesn’t rub the paralever or the tyre. If it does, it can be heated and reshaped easily.
I have a GSA now, with the luggage frames and a Touratech toolbox. This cuts 95% of the crap that normally coats the back of my left leg.

Back
Top Bottom