Rear Hugger Bolts Loosening

Found one post on US forum where rear drive was discussed. One person said that when his bike went into the first (600 miles) service, the splines on the rear of the shaft were checked and greased. So, it made me thinking. My bike went into the first service just 300 miles ago so if they've done anything on the shaft, they had to remove my bolts and hugger. Maybe they didn't installed it back properly, I don't know. Just a thought.

So, last week I received longer 12.9 bolt. Just what I wanted. I was confident because the 12.9 strength is what BMW recommends. Installed the bolt and, as it was longer, secured it with locknut at the other end. I was full with confidence as I saw no way the bolt could work its way out now. And it was true. For more thn a week I was checking the bolt that I marked with permanent marker to see if it moved. And it really didn't. Today, on one speed hump I heard wiered metal noise from the rear wheel. On the next speed hump it was there again. I stopped and my first suspition was the bolt. I looked at it... Well, it didn't move but the hugger was shattered arround it.
So, this is the point where my saga with rear hugger ends. Removed everything and put back original BMW bolts back in. I'm sad as this is going to be my first bike without rear hugger. Well... I have Mudsling there so I'll learn to live without it.
As a final note, there was something I noticed when I was putting BMW bolts back in. The bolts I ordered, twice, were expensive, 12.9 tensile, just per BMW recommendation. When I have removed them today, the bigger one and the smaller one, I noticed that as soon as I made a half turn the rest of the way they went out by hand. When I was putting the BMW ones, they went in just a few turns by hand and then all the rest of the way I needed ratchet and they were resisting. I remember when I removed them for the first time the needed the use of ratchet too, almost all the way. So, I guess there is still something particular in those OEM bolts.

So, last week I received longer 12.9 bolt. Just what I wanted. I was confident because the 12.9 strength is what BMW recommends. Installed the bolt and, as it was longer, secured it with locknut at the other end. I was full with confidence as I saw no way the bolt could work its way out now. And it was true. For more thn a week I was checking the bolt that I marked with permanent marker to see if it moved. And it really didn't. Today, on one speed hump I heard wiered metal noise from the rear wheel. On the next speed hump it was there again. I stopped and my first suspition was the bolt. I looked at it... Well, it didn't move but the hugger was shattered arround it.
So, this is the point where my saga with rear hugger ends. Removed everything and put back original BMW bolts back in. I'm sad as this is going to be my first bike without rear hugger. Well... I have Mudsling there so I'll learn to live without it.
As a final note, there was something I noticed when I was putting BMW bolts back in. The bolts I ordered, twice, were expensive, 12.9 tensile, just per BMW recommendation. When I have removed them today, the bigger one and the smaller one, I noticed that as soon as I made a half turn the rest of the way they went out by hand. When I was putting the BMW ones, they went in just a few turns by hand and then all the rest of the way I needed ratchet and they were resisting. I remember when I removed them for the first time the needed the use of ratchet too, almost all the way. So, I guess there is still something particular in those OEM bolts.

My Puig hugger went in the bin a few months ago, after sitting on a shelf in my garage for several years. I never found it to be of much use in keeping crap off the bike, and the stories of bolts coming loose made it just not worth the risk.

The bolts I ordered, twice, were expensive, 12.9 tensile, just per BMW recommendation.

Could you please give us the document where the factory recommends 12.9 tensile strength bolts for that location please? Without a paper trail it just becomes an internet rumour.

Could you please give us the document where the factory recommends 12.9 tensile strength bolts for that location please? Without a paper trail it just becomes an internet rumour.

It’s a 10.9 grade according to the BMW microfiche

Attachments

• 68CAB2FA-6495-4A27-908A-AF1ECC98B12C.jpg
    68CAB2FA-6495-4A27-908A-AF1ECC98B12C.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 164
So what is correct Bosnjo's post where he tells us BMW have specified 12.9 or the parts microfiche? The reason that internet rumours start.
As it happens I have a Chinese hugger on my bike with the standard bolts that were fitted using Loctite, and a mark on them to check if they have moved, I was an aircraft engineer. They have never moved.

So what is correct Bosnjo's post where he tells us BMW have specified 12.9 or the parts microfiche? The reason that internet rumours start.
As it happens I have a Chinese hugger on my bike with the standard bolts that were fitted using Loctite, and a mark on them to check if they have moved, I was an aircraft engineer. They have never moved.

I’ve just checked my 2019 bike and the bolt is a grade 10.9.

Attachments

• AF5A34C6-9FFD-4F29-B6FB-52DA0D5E76DF.jpg
    AF5A34C6-9FFD-4F29-B6FB-52DA0D5E76DF.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 158

Hi BobT,

I had the same bolt issue as Bosnjo and I tried the same fix as you, but the OEM bolt worked it’s way out even with thread lock (what type did you use?). I have put in a longer bolt with a washer and a nylon nut which has sorted the issue but having read about Bosnjo shattered hugger am worried about mine doing the same. I didn’t grolly the nylon nut up so am hoping it I’ll be okay? Wire locking it would have been an option but didn’t fancy drilling holes in things. My OEM bolt which would have gone at the front of the Chinese hugger was too short to be used, how did you get yours to go through?

Back
Top Bottom