Rear Hugger Bolts Loosening

colinf

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have just had the running in service done for my new GS Exclusive. I was advised that the rear hugger I fitted (the cheap Chinese one) the mounting bolts specifically the one that goes through to the brake calliper was coming loose and this was a known problem on this type. Not sure if they mean this type of hugger or the Chinese type. Does anyone know the best way to fix this as it is quite worrying.
Dealer advised it could lead to catastrophic drive / engine damage and brake issues.

Colinf

Buy a Puig version rather than a knock-off - or at least from a company that did the development work and understands the stresses etc.

Forgot this is UKGSER who can find the same on Ali Express...

I have seen 3 of these cheap huggers fitted to the bikes of friends. All three suffered some sort of failure, seeming caused by poor quality components. One had the caliper replacement bolt constantly loosening: the bolt, unlike the BMW original, was threaded the whole length and was a poor fit in both the hugger sleeve and the BMW strut. One had a fracture in the alloy bracket near the bolt hole - the alloy seemed to be an impure and granular cast affair. The third one had ill fitting washers on the rubber grommets around the smaller bolts holding the plastic hugger blade to the alloy bracket: the blade fell off.
Do your bike and yourself a big favour, take it off and chuck it in the bin. Imagine the consequences of that bolt not being in place when the back brake (you,) need it?
Alan R

I had the same issue , binned it and fitted a genuine Mudsling , it does a fantastic job and 5 minutes to fit

I tried a chinese rear hugger. To be honest the supplied bolts made me slightly nervous. The decision to remove was based on that the rear hugger did do much.

Not worth the worry

i had the same problem,the long bolt coming loose ,take the huggar off and put the std bolts back in .
then as said fit a mudsling

One had a fracture in the alloy bracket near the bolt hole - the alloy seemed to be an impure and granular cast affair.

My expensive Puig original version failed in Italy on holiday. The quality of the casting was very poor.

I've used the Ilmberger Carbon hugger on my GS LC's for the past 5.5 years with no issues whatsoever. It fixes to the bevel gear housing.

My expensive Puig original version failed in Italy on holiday. The quality of the casting was very poor.

I've used the Ilmberger Carbon hugger on my GS LC's for the past 5.5 years with no issues whatsoever. It fixes to the bevel gear housing.
I agree, if one wants a hugger, then Ilimberger are the ones to go for. As you say, the mounting on the cardan drive case means the hugger pivots as the suspension moves maintaining the tyre clearance. Looks better too.
Alan R

I had a Chinese hugger fitted to my 1200 GS Exclusive 2018, when out on a run on the bike, the main hugger bolt came loose totally from the thread but remained within the hole due to weight of bike. The hugger dropped onto the rear tyre and caused the hugger to dig into the tyre, luckily my mate was travelling to the rear and warned me that smoke was belching from my rear tyre. I stopped without any further damage, 50 miles from home with tyre badly damaged I was uplifted by breakdown. I reckon another mile and the bolt would have slipped totally free causing a nasty accident, I have previously purchased Chinese parts but just small items like mudsling and front fender that are fitted with tie wraps and small screws.

I will not be purchasing any more huggers from China

Looking at the Chinese ones they might be okay but bearing in mind that one of the mounts uses the caliper mount and the other one picks up from the paralever torque arm (both safety critical components) and you are trusting replacement bolts of a totally unkown quality and strength I would at least replace them with decent quality items .

The Chinese can't really f*ck up things like radiator quards or indicator protectors but I would be very wary of any structural or safety critical components

Thanks everyone for your replies and advice.
I think i am going to change the bolts for the same type that BMW use. I will use Loctite as suggested and keep a very close eye on whether they start to come undone again. If they do then i will remove it and find an alternative be it hugger or mudsling. My reasoning for this is i have already bought and paid for it so i might as well see if i can get use out of it as apart from it undoing itself the quality does not seem bad. But it has to be safe and not going to cause me a potential safety issue. I do not get to ride so often or as far now so regular checks should not be an issue, will only take 2 minutes before and after each ride.

Well, I'm waiting for the chinese one to arrive. Will see how things go with it but I also ordered 12.9 grade bolts M10 (M10x75) and M8 (M8x35) so at least they will not be a part of possible problem. Will loctite them with blue loctite.

I managed to get out for a ride at the weekend of about 60 miles around Surreys roads (so plenty of crap surfaces) and checked the bolts before and after and they were fine so I am going to leave alone for now but will check after every ride.

I managed to get out for a ride at the weekend of about 60 miles around Surreys roads (so plenty of crap surfaces) and checked the bolts before and after and they were fine so I am going to leave alone for now but will check after every ride.

Hi Colin,

I have a Chinese hugger, quality is quite good although when bought it was scruffy so had it shot blasted and powder coated, with regards to bolts, the long one that goes through the final drive supporting bar came loose on me while out on a ride and I didn't notice until I washed the bike, damn lucky it didn't come all the way out. Loctite 243 is what I have put on mine and I keep and eye on it. If you do manage to get BMW bolts the right size please can you let me know as I would like to change mine too ;)

Hi Colin,

I have a Chinese hugger, quality is quite good although when bought it was scruffy so had it shot blasted and powder coated, with regards to bolts, the long one that goes through the final drive supporting bar came loose on me while out on a ride and I didn't notice until I washed the bike, damn lucky it didn't come all the way out. Loctite 243 is what I have put on mine and I keep and eye on it. If you do manage to get BMW bolts the right size please can you let me know as I would like to change mine too ;)

Plus 1 re bolt

Back
Top Bottom