Keyless Fuel Cap no workie

casbar

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
On Saturday rode my 1250 to the petrol station to fill up and guess what, fuel cap wouldn't budge. Tried pushing down on it etc. So whipped off the seat and used my BMW torx screwdriver to remove the two screws from the front plate to release the cap. Did them back up and filled up. Then the cap wouldn't shut, so, out with the torx screwdriver again and re-assembled the front plate in conjunction with pushing the cap down to get it to close.

On looking inside the fuel filler neck, there is a u shaped piston that you can push forwards and backwards, assume this is the bit that locks and unlocks the cap. This is moving free by hand. Does anyone know if the cap is open and you switch the ignition on and off (simulating the cap unlocking), if this piston should move, or if it will move if the cap is open? Mine doesn't move :) If anyone has overcome this issue, I'd be pleased with any fixing tips.

Bike is obviously under the awesome BMW warranty, so rang the dealer to be told there is UK stock and they will order one and replace if faulty. Was expecting to go tomorrow, but was rung this morning to say, BMW have put a stop on the parts (whatever that means) so they will phone in the morning if the cap actually turns up :)

Guess I will just have to keep undoing the plate to fill up, not ideal, but better than leaking callipers I suppose :)

Known issue,

My 2016 was replaced under warranty, you can push the U shaped part in and out with a key.

however as you have admitted you unscrewed (tampered ) with it, it wont be a warranty repair (£400 odd new) ;)

I'd run it out of fuel and get them to recover it :)

Mine wouldn't lock but if it wasn't going to be replaced under warranty, i'd have left it .. as long as i could open it was all that mattered

Known issue,

My 2016 was replaced under warranty, you can push the U shaped part in and out with a key.

however as you have admitted you unscrewed (tampered ) with it, it wont be a warranty repair (£400 odd new) ;)

I'd run it out of fuel and get them to recover it :)

Mine wouldn't lock but if it wasn't going to be replaced under warranty, i'd have left it .. as long as i could open it was all that mattered

Yes it is a warranty claim, bike is only 12 months old and I was told by the dealer service department to unscrew it and push the pin back, which didn't work, so I think I will be fine.

Oddly enough , having read this thread a couple of days ago, I went out to my '17 plate bike this morning to find the same issue had developed. This despite me filling up OK last time out.
I looked through a couple more threads on here and found that over-tightening the 2 screws at the front of the filler can cause this to happen.
I've now backed them off a bit and all is well again:beerjug:
I had fitted a Givi tanklok ring last year, so had (over) tightened those screws myself. However its taken about 3000 miles worth of fill-ups for the fault to occur.
Lesson learned :rob

Oddly enough , having read this thread a couple of days ago, I went out to my '17 plate bike this morning to find the same issue had developed. This despite me filling up OK last time out.
I looked through a couple more threads on here and found that over-tightening the 2 screws at the front of the filler can cause this to happen.
I've now backed them off a bit and all is well again:beerjug:
I had fitted a Givi tanklok ring last year, so had (over) tightened those screws myself. However its taken about 3000 miles worth of fill-ups for the fault to occur.
Lesson learned :rob

I've never fitted a tanklok ring, so not guilty of touching the screws :)

Back
Top Bottom